Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #1

Eliminating the inline water filter

I have seen in past threads folks have eliminated the filter included on the Jayco motorhomes due to the difficulty in accessing and just using a filtration set up outside.

I am obviously not using the search correctly as I can't for the life of me find the method folks use to do that (fitting and such). Maybe I don't even need to remove the filter housing, but pull the filter out, but seems like removing the old housing might be prudent.

As it is, I was riffed at work, so will have a lot of time since I think I am just going to retire. In doing so, I want to use my 2016 Greyhawk a lot more (maybe see some of you down south this winter) so want to do things to ease maintenance.

Thanks for any advice offered. Once the snow bank dissappears I will be able to take a look inside and see what I can come up with.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #2

Google Custom Search

That may help your search efforts...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

just take the filter out of the housing and dont use it.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Mine took up space in the cabinet under the bathroom sink and had to be completely removed to change the cartridge. We used it last season thinking we had filtered water. When I removed it to winterize I found no cartridge installed from the factory.

I made a short pex tube with shark bite fittings to go in it's place. Will use an external filter from now on. We carry bottled water for drinking and cooking anyway.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
RPR

Thank goodness the 2018 Greyhawk 31DS must be designed different than the 2016. Our filter along with the pump is in the back big storage compartment that goes from side to side in a smaller encloser on drivers side about 36” x 24” and 10” deep. Big access panel to it had six screws but I just put hinges on it and small latch. I just open the panel and filter and pump are right there.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Thank goodness the 2018 Greyhawk 31DS must be designed different than the 2016. Our filter along with the pump is in the back big storage compartment that goes from side to side in a smaller encloser on drivers side about 36” x 24” and 10” deep. Big access panel to it had six screws but I just put hinges on it and small latch. I just open the panel and filter and pump are right there.
No, they sound the same. I am still agile enough to crawl into the bay to access the filter with the wrench, but it still requires a bit of contortions to get in there.

I guess if no filter is required, I may just leave it out and use an external filter. There is no space to be gained, so as long as it isn't a problem, no fox is required. Plus I can always go back to this system if I want that way.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
As it is, I was riffed at work\
You ok?
Getting RIFd sucks. Sorry...
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
You ok?
Getting RIFd sucks. Sorry...
Thanks for asking. Yes, I am doing ok. After working since I was 12, I go through periods of funk, but have been offered a couple of jobs, but not sure I want to go back full time. I am doing unemployment for the 1st time in my life and some consulting gigs. Turn 62 next month, so may just pack it in and retire.