Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2023, 06:46 PM   #1

Empty water tank

2018 jayco redhawk 22j , when I fill my water tank it empties itself through the over fill lines, what am I doing wrong? Any ideas,
Montaguerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:05 PM   #2

I have seen others comment on this issue often. Personally, I would cut the rubber hose up above the tank and put a tee in the line. If it gets air, it can not siphon the water out. Others are going to tell you to build a baffle. They have done theirs, I have not. I just know it would work.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:26 AM   #3

Once the water begins to overfill it creates a siphon and continues to pull water from the tank.

Let's start with the danger. Blocking the overflow line with a valve. If you forget to open the valve while filling you will most likely cause the tank to fail from too much water and the air that is in the tank has no where to go.

The easiest fix is stop adding water before you reach the overflow level. This takes some practice. I've sometimes been successful by holding the line up a little bit.

There are more bulletproof and convenient solutions available. It would be best to search YouTube and this forum to see a variety of approaches. You will probably find one that will work for you.

The most frustrating for me are the times it doesn't start siphoning until I'm backing into a campsite.

Good luck ��
Old 09-14-2023, 07:10 AM   #4

After considering the risks of inadvertently leaving the valves closed, I decided to put shutoff valves on the end of my overflow hoses anyway. This way I can get the tank completely full (useful when I'm planning a long boondock period) but not lose any during the drive to the boondock site. Once I'm at the site, I periodically test by opening the individual valves until they don't siphon anymore. I have 3 overflow hoses and they don't all stop siphoning at the same time. It typically takes almost a full day at the site before all three of them are open. But having even one of them open lets air into the tank so I'm not concerned about collapsing the tank. Others have proposed more elegant solutions but this was the simplest for me. Read about the solutions, weigh the risks and decide for yourself what to do.

BTW, here's a link to the valves that I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PMLB54/
Old 09-14-2023, 07:21 AM   #5

I have had this problem as well with my 29MV. I would fill up at home and when I arrived at my destination the tank was only partially full. We do alot of off grid camping. Previously I would put plugs in the hoses but now I use the same valves mentioned here. It is much easier and does the trick. To make sure I open the valves before I turn on the pump at my destination, I put a little sticky note next to the water pump switch to remind me to open the valves first.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:35 PM   #6

Tons of threads on this if u use the SEARCH function

But yes, add valves to the gravity overflow lines
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:43 PM   #7

I am not familiar with your exact tank but know that problem from mine. When filling the tank you wait until water flows out of the overflow hoses. I found that if I was filling very fast at the end, once the water started flowing out the overflows it wouldn't stop until it drained the tank way down. If I slowed down the fill at the end I could avoid the major drain.

But....the design still siphons water out of the tank while you drive. I would arrive at my destination and find the tank only 2/3 full.

I put valves on the 3 hoses to prevent the drain while driving. Many users have done the same thing. I didn't like having to remember to open/shut the valves so I extended the hoses up above the tank level (in the outside water fill cabinet) and that solved my problem forever. I did leave the valves on but never have to shut them.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Tank Vents.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:42 AM   #8

Just a suggestion.
Fill the tank until it overflows and siphon starts.
Turn water off at faucet.
Detatch and lay the hose on ground so water flows back through the hose for a while to empty the overflow line.
Only then close the "fill" valve to the water tank.
You may have to temporarily remove any pressure reducing valves.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
Just a suggestion.
Fill the tank until it overflows and siphon starts.
Turn water off at faucet.
Detatch and lay the hose on ground so water flows back through the hose for a while to empty the overflow line.
Only then close the "fill" valve to the water tank.
You may have to temporarily remove any pressure reducing valves.

I do something similar - I fill until overflow starts, then I flip valves to "Normal", turn on the pump, and open a faucet. Usually the outside shower faucet since I'm there.

Running the pump and faucet for 10 seconds is enough to break the siphon effect for me.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:54 AM   #10

Until you turn a corner and the sloshing begins...lol

Add valves
Be done with it
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #11

Our coach would dump about half a tank while driving through the overflow. Once the siphon started, it would empty half the tank. I just extended the tubing to well above the tank and then back down. Tank can still breath during filling and driving at different altitudes with no siphoning. Hope this helps.
Smitty814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:45 PM   #12

The overflow is at the top of the tank and has no dip tube going down into the water. I can understand some sloshing while driving but how can it possibly siphon?
Old 09-20-2023, 06:47 PM   #13

Water loss

Have same problem just got a 2017 Jayco precept and first trip lost a half a tank.concerned about extending overflow tubing to command center and causing a low spot for freezing. Could put a drain in low spot.while talking about water having trouble getting to get a good siphon when trying to winterize also . Any help would be greatly appreciated
Hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
The overflow is at the top of the tank and has no dip tube going down into the water. I can understand some sloshing while driving but how can it possibly siphon?

I wondered the same thing - but unless I do something to "break" it, it kept flowing out.

Granted I never let it run long enough to do a proper experiment. Maybe I'll toss it on the to do list.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:29 AM   #15

Bear in mind, Jayco recommends NOT traveling with a full tank. I put about 10 gallons in when we travel. That's 80 pounds.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
"Siphon" is not the right term for what is happening. As was said earlier in this string there is no tube going down into the tank into the water, which is what is needed for a siphon to be created.
These RV water tanks are all very wide and very thin top to bottom, and it does not take much sloshing about (during turns, especially) to force the water up and out of the overflow pipes. Imagine that you need to move a liter of water across your kitchen, and you have two containers to choose from: a baking pan, or a carafe. Which would you choose? The carafe of course, because it will hold the liquid and you wont have to worry about it sloshing about. Jayco, however, has chosen a cake pan, where any little tilt or tip sends lots of water onto the ground...
Old 09-22-2023, 07:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
"Siphon" is not the right term for what is happening. As was said earlier in this string there is no tube going down into the tank into the water, which is what is needed for a siphon to be created.
These RV water tanks are all very wide and very thin top to bottom, and it does not take much sloshing about (during turns, especially) to force the water up and out of the overflow pipes. Imagine that you need to move a liter of water across your kitchen, and you have two containers to choose from: a baking pan, or a carafe. Which would you choose? The carafe of course, because it will hold the liquid and you wont have to worry about it sloshing about. Jayco, however, has chosen a cake pan, where any little tilt or tip sends lots of water onto the ground...
Yes, the tank on my camper is wide and flat. I never travel with more than a few gallons in it because my little camper can't handle the weight so I've never had an issue. So...these people who want to install a tee to "break the siphon" are really doing nothing more than possibly raising the exit pipe a bit which may help with the sloshing. A valve sounds like the best solution as long as you remember to open it again.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I am not familiar with your exact tank but know that problem from mine. When filling the tank you wait until water flows out of the overflow hoses. I found that if I was filling very fast at the end, once the water started flowing out the overflows it wouldn't stop until it drained the tank way down. If I slowed down the fill at the end I could avoid the major drain.

But....the design still siphons water out of the tank while you drive. I would arrive at my destination and find the tank only 2/3 full.

I put valves on the 3 hoses to prevent the drain while driving. Many users have done the same thing. I didn't like having to remember to open/shut the valves so I extended the hoses up above the tank level (in the outside water fill cabinet) and that solved my problem forever. I did leave the valves on but never have to shut them.
I don't understand why it takes 3 pipes to vent/overflow the tank.
Water comes out all 3 if I over fill.
Any reason why I can't Tee the pipes to just one and put the valve on it?
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
we need water