Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Engine Sound, Throttle Body?

Happy New Year Everyone!

Just wanted to run this by you guys in case someone had this experience or who is mechanically inclined and knows about this issue I’m having. I have a 2019 Redhawk 25r with the V10, While driving at approximately 45 to 65-ish miles per hour, under different loads, I hear what appears to be possibly the throttlebody making a noise from air rushing through it. I’m not sure. I kind of sounds like rushing/running water. It’s hard to duplicate and I’m assuming because it might have to do with the position of the throttlebody And the amount of airflow going into it. Anybody have this experience?

I’ve owned two cars with this type of throttle body noise but it sounds a little different on this V10, and I imagine it should if that’s the noise I’m hearing.

Heading back south, traveling the CCCCold east coast!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Might be off topic, but some of us with Redhawks had vibration issues up around the 60 mph range, depending on throttle position. Turns out it was too many shim spacers in the hangar bearing for the driveshaft, causing a low droning noise. Removal of one shim corrected it. Could this be your issue?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

Thanks retired one but it’s not that. I had that droning drive shaft noise but now seems to have lessen quite a bit after a year of driving and only happens around 65 mph.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #4

I have a similar issue on my 18 Redhawk w/ approximately 12000 miles on it. I thought it could be an idler, sprayed lube on it still there. Tried all different octanes, still there. Checked all fluids all good.
Starts when accelerating up to cruising speed at approximately 30 mph, stops when I take my foot off the gas at around 65 mph and level off. Accelerate and it comes back.
Driving me crazy.
A friend told me it could be the torque converter. No clue. I plan on taking it in to Ford when I find a shop that fits my RV.
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #5

Thanks Jicama

Keep us posted. I really think it’s the throttle body. But I could be wrong. Hopefully you can reproduce it with a Ford tech in the cab with you. I am trying to get an appointment for a refrigerator issue at my coach dealer. I only trust my Ford tech up north and won’t get back up there till summer!

John
Old 01-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicama View Post
Starts when accelerating up to cruising speed at approximately 30 mph, stops when I take my foot off the gas at around 65 mph and level off. Accelerate and it comes back.
Driving me crazy.
A friend told me it could be the torque converter. No clue. I plan on taking it in to Ford when I find a shop that fits my RV.
Nothing for nothing, but that was similar to what I was hearing on accelleration, and I thought it was coming from the engine/trans area too. In fact, it was so loud on initial accelleration/load, I didn't realize I couldn't hear the trans upshift. Then, up around the 60's in mph, if I just touched the gas pedal, the noise would ramp up (under load).

A few of us discussed this in a different thread. It ended up being too many shims in the hangar bearing bracket for the drive shaft. I slid under the rig, braced the driveshaft, and took out one 1/4" shim on the bracket, and bolted it back up.

The noise totally went away, I can hear the trans do it's upshift thing now, and under accelleration up in the 60's, we can actually hold a conversation and I can hear the music.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #7

Mine is definitely not the drive shaft noise. Mine is more like white noise. And happens Just like Jicama’s does.

I know that driveshaft noise because I had it. That’s more of a harmonic drone sound to me.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Possibly... but if his friend is thinking "torque converter", he isn't that far away from the hangar bearing.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicama View Post
I have a similar issue on my 18 Redhawk w/ approximately 12000 miles on it. I thought it could be an idler, sprayed lube on it still there. Tried all different octanes, still there. Checked all fluids all good.
Driving me crazy.
I have similar sound on mine. I have 2017 Greyhawk I bought new and now have 40,000 miles on it. Its been making that noise almost since the time I drove it off the lot. Only when under acceleration load between about 35 and 60 mph. If you back of the throttle it will stop. Hasn't seem to be an issue so far.

But keep us posted on what you find out with yours. I would be interested in your findings.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #10

My 2005 Acura MDX had it, and my 2013 Kia Soul has it. Both make a similar but different sound. If it is in fact a throttle body sound, The V10 sound is much different, but then again it’s a much bigger air sucking engine! I’m not ruling anything out, besides the driveshaft noise.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #11

same thing here, it just started doing it on our way back from FL 2016 greyhawk 24k miles
espinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #12

Seems to me my 2017 Greyhawk has some extra noise at some rpm but I must have gotten used to it. I just assumed it was basically a resonance of the air intake that amplified the air going through at a particular speed (frequency).

The rig is noisy anyway so I just try to listen to the radio. Of course my wife is in the passenger seat advising me on how to drive even though she would never sit in the driver's seat. She tends to drown out most engine noises.

Lucky for me she doesn't read this forum or I would be up the creek with a paddle embedded in my head.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 PM   #13

Same noise here. 2018 greyhawk. Been there since new.
Only during acceleration, doesn't need to be hard acceleration, usually 2-3k rpm, 20-50 mph (maybe higher speeds, but there's lots of wind noise at that point) goes away pulling off gas. Definitely from engine compartment. Maybe someone can try sound recording with a phone.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Same noise here. 2018 greyhawk. Been there since new.
Only during acceleration, doesn't need to be hard acceleration, usually 2-3k rpm, 20-50 mph (maybe higher speeds, but there's lots of wind noise at that point) goes away pulling off gas. Definitely from engine compartment. Maybe someone can try sound recording with a phone.
Check out this thread, a bunch of us posted our experiences:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nel-70672.html