Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2022, 02:14 PM   #1

Entry door crooked

Hi again. Just came back from 3 wk trip over horrible roads were many things came off or broke, all can be fixed. The main issue that we can’t figure out is our entry door on 2019 Greyhawk. It now is crooked, the top corner of door on the handle side is rubbing and when you look down the door to handle/lock area the it becomes a 1/4” gap to the bottom of door. We can even see the locking pins from outside. We know the door it crooked as the strike plate is off 1/4” as well. When we look at the hinge side it all looks fine and we can’t see how to adjust. This happened before and dealer fixed under warranty so we need to know what’s wrong and how to fix. Thanks
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine67 View Post
Hi again. Just came back from 3 wk trip over horrible roads were many things came off or broke, all can be fixed. The main issue that we can’t figure out is our entry door on 2019 Greyhawk. It now is crooked, the top corner of door on the handle side is rubbing and when you look down the door to handle/lock area the it becomes a 1/4” gap to the bottom of door. We can even see the locking pins from outside. We know the door it crooked as the strike plate is off 1/4” as well. When we look at the hinge side it all looks fine and we can’t see how to adjust. This happened before and dealer fixed under warranty so we need to know what’s wrong and how to fix. Thanks
First check that that the hinges are secure/ tight. Next, if the floor is level front to back then the door needs to be reset in the hole. That is however likely not the case. If it's a right hand door ( hinges are on the right when viewing from outside), the hitch is to your right and the top corner is rubbing, then the floor is running downhill from right to left/ front to back ( it's high on the hinge side/low on the striker side, i.e., it's racked ( out of plumb) or in other words the hinge side is high throwing the top corner opposite the hinges into the frame and has a gap toward the bottom on that side. So first off level the floor, if it's still racked it's an installation issue.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #3

Door adjustment

Standing here looking at door from outside. Hinge is on the right, door has rubbed the paint off door frame on top left side. Also sounds like it rubs on the door arm, hinges are tight and look ok. I guess I will have to pay dealer and insist on being there when they fix it so we know what to do in future
Old 08-18-2022, 05:52 PM   #4

Are you parked on flat ground and without any stabilizers? If not, try that before taking it the to dealer. ~CA
Old 08-18-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Sorry, I skipped over your being a class c, nevertheless, it's the same principle. Sounds to me like there's an installation issue causing the door frame to rack. Something evidently got out of whack while underway. Might be wise to follow Craigav's suggestion to park on flat ground, and deploy the stabilizers to level the coach and see if that makes a difference. Even if it does though, it shouldn't be racking otherwise, so it will need attention for the long haul.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:38 AM   #6

Check the door and the jamb with a carpenters square.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:54 AM   #7

Unit is level, if I use lock washers per YouTube do I put them on every hinge. I have pictures on phone but can’t figure out how to attach
Old 08-19-2022, 06:39 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Unit is level, if I use lock washers per YouTube do I put them on every hinge. I have pictures on phone but can’t figure out how to attach
Were the bushings missing?
Old 08-19-2022, 07:15 AM   #9

No everything on hinge side looks fine and screws are tight. On lock side it runs at top and gap increases going down door.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:44 AM   #10

Put a level on the hinge side of the jamb vertically and make sure the hinge side is perfect with no gaps between the jamb and level all the way down. These units are always flexing as we travel down the road. It's possible next time you set up, the door may operate fine.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
No everything on hinge side looks fine and screws are tight. On lock side it runs at top and gap increases going down door.
If the floor is level and the hinges are tight with no play, then it's highly likely the hole is out of square (racked) and the door will need to be reset in the hole and/or shimmed on the lower hinge side if there's tolerance. Determining how it was racked needs to be determined as well.