Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #1

Equalizer system on Seneca

Purchased a brand new 2018 Seneca 37 RB. Having a weird or maybe no weird issue with my leveling system. When I turn the key on my leveling system comes on and flashes lights and warning beeps. It also reads low voltage. I can turn it off sometimes the first time and sometimes it takes a few tries. It also emits a beeping noise when everything in the coach is off except the coach power and being connected to 50amp shore power. Any thoughts as to why it comes on when I start the engine? And what is with the low voltage even though the coach says itd a 14.2 volts. Thanks for any help in advance.
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

There is a breaker mounted on the top of the Freightliner truck batteries. I have not established why it trips but it has happened several times in the on my 2018 Seneca.
It causes low voltage to several of the devices on the MH. Levelers, side step, power cord reel and even the volume on the Fusion GPS.

All of the devices have different minimum voltage requirements so not all of them stop at the same time.

Open the battery access panel on the left side above the step and push in the breaker lever to reset. This has resolved my issue. I think that the breaker may trip if you have very low voltage on the house batteries and there is a current overload when charging.
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbour35 View Post
There is a breaker mounted on the top of the Freightliner truck batteries. I have not established why it trips but it has happened several times in the on my 2018 Seneca.
It causes low voltage to several of the devices on the MH. Levelers, side step, power cord reel and even the volume on the Fusion GPS.

All of the devices have different minimum voltage requirements so not all of them stop at the same time.

Open the battery access panel on the left side above the step and push in the breaker lever to reset. This has resolved my issue. I think that the breaker may trip if you have very low voltage on the house batteries and there is a current overload when charging.
I hope this wasn't the problem prior to picking it up. The power steps would not work and they were unsure as to why. Hopefully them wiring tripped the CB and that is my problem.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

What you describe... has all the symptoms of the chassis battery circuit breaker being tripped. The Steps and the Hydraulic pump are powered by the chassis batteries. You don't mention if the steps will work when the engine is running, or if the low-battery warning light goes out when the chassis batteries are charged up... but I would check the Chassis Circuit Breaker first.

The breaker is sitting on top of the chassis batteries that are under the drivers seat of the M2 chassis Seneca's (think yours is one of these, not the later ones that are on the SRV2 units)

Here is a link to some pictures - https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post693149
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
What you describe... has all the symptoms of the chassis battery circuit breaker being tripped. The Steps and the Hydraulic pump are powered by the chassis batteries. You don't mention if the steps will work when the engine is running, or if the low-battery warning light goes out when the chassis batteries are charged up... but I would check the Chassis Circuit Breaker first.

The breaker is sitting on top of the chassis batteries that are under the drivers seat of the M2 chassis Seneca's (think yours is one of these, not the later ones that are on the SRV2 units)

Here is a link to some pictures - https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post693149
Yes the steps work with the engine running. I'm going out this morning to check the CB and see if it is tripped.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

This happened to me on my M2 as well Andrea it will likely be that breaker atop the chassis batteries. I found the problem to be erratic in that those components would start working again with shore power but if I turned ignition on they would not work for a while.

This happened to me me on my way to Hershey RV show a year ago and we could not raise jacks or put steps in. Finally found problem with Jayco customer service and fixed over the phone.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #7

We also have issue with Equalizer beeping when we start rig. Stop to fill diesel or get a snack, restart engine a few minutes later, and Equalizer starts beeping. Then we have to shut off engine and hit Retract All on Equalizer until it says all jacks up and stops beeping. It’s like the jacks have sagged a bit and system is forcing us to make sure they are up. Don’t understand though how/why this would happen though.
kndspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

You might need to purge your system. The system works by a pressure sensor at the pump. Air pressurizes differently then oil and can have this type of effect. If the pressure is low then the system will think the jacks are down. If parked it will require you to retract, if you are driving the pump will come on and auto retract. I would assume the unit would alarm as well. I had a fitting on one of my jacks come loose and it leaked causing the system to scream at me and it discharged a lot of oil until I got to safe place to park.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndspd View Post
We also have issue with Equalizer beeping when we start rig. Stop to fill diesel or get a snack, restart engine a few minutes later, and Equalizer starts beeping. Then we have to shut off engine and hit Retract All on Equalizer until it says all jacks up and stops beeping. It’s like the jacks have sagged a bit and system is forcing us to make sure they are up. Don’t understand though how/why this would happen though.
I suspect this problem if different than the breaker issue. However, when our breaker tripped, it did so before we left for the trip, apparently as I was idling and filling water because that is when I noticed steps not working. On our drive, in stop and go traffic, I noticed the equalizer lights came on but were dim and the alarm was sounding, like they were down. When traffic was at a stand still I pressed the retract button; nothing happened but the alarm stopped.

If your case, there must either be a poor sensor (there must be some pressure sensor that determines when the jacks are up), or perhaps it is leaking down over time. I can’t say I understand this system as well as many of the others here so we will wait.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

Had the same problem for the first time last week. Initially when starting the engine, the equalizer panel would be all flashing lights and beeping. After driving a few minutes it would all stop. Next morning when starting the engine, the breaker must have popped as steps quit working and the levellers also would not work. Reset the breaker, thanks to all the good folks here explaining all this crap, and all was good.

Another thing, Equalizer recommends that any time your unit sits idle for more than 24 hours with the jacks retracted that the first thing you do before starting the engine, is hit Retract All just in case one of the jacks may have leaked down. This will also prevent all the warning lights and beeps.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #11

I don’t mind hitting retract after it has sat for 24 hours. It is really annoying when you stop for 15 minutes at a fuel pump and then when you are ready to go, the beeping and light flashing starts and you have to pause to retract. Have never seen signs of a leak, but maybe the purge recommendation is the way to go. Now I need to figure out how to do that.
kndspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #12

I've seen jacks with a pair of garage door-like springs on them to prevent leakdown and (presumably) allow retraction should the hydraulic pump fail. Seems to be a good backup measure.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

It was the CB under the drivers seat...closed it and everything works perfectly now....thanks!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #14

This fixed my issue too.

I had picked up my rv from Lazydays and noticed 3 issues on teh drive home. The steps would not extend, the leveling system beeps low voltage and the radio would not play music via the speakers.

On my daily Jayco forum update someone describe nearly the identical problem and someone suggested they check the chassis breaker, which looks like everything but a breaker. The break had gotten tripped somehow and all problems were fixed as soon as I reset the breaker, which also reset in a different way that every breaker I'd ever seen.

Thanks to all that posted the fixes and identifies the chassis battery breaker as a possible problem. I would likely never had even thought to check there to solve the issue.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #15

2018.5 S2rv looking for locatrion of Chassis Battery CB

Have experienced the same issues involving Jacks. Looking to reset Chassis CB but not sure where to look. Can someone tell me exactly where it is and what it looks like. Looked above chassis batteries following red cable an noticed it went to a device bolted to wall in battery compartment. It had a rubber oblong cover over it in the middle. Is this what I'm looking for?
Thanks for your help
Will is offline   Reply With Quote