Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Estimated Cost?

Looking to add both a rain cover for the bathroom vent and one of the accessory bars down the side of my coach so I can hang my "rv" approved grill off of. Any estimates as to how much I should expect the dealer to charge me to add those two things? The rain cover I probably could do myself but the accessory bar (or rail or whatever it's called) is probably out of my league...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

I can't speak to the accessory bar, but the covers are easy if you don't mind being on the roof. I put two on, and it was very little effort. Just need to drill 4 holes in the alyminum pan that protrudes upward to place the mounting brackets. Just do it in the shade or evening
Old 07-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
I can't speak to the accessory bar, but the covers are easy if you don't mind being on the roof. I put two on, and it was very little effort. Just need to drill 4 holes in the alyminum pan that protrudes upward to place the mounting brackets. Just do it in the shade or evening
x2.....30 minutes to install the Maxair cover over my bathroom vent.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Site Team

The grill rail screws have to hit wall studs. Not an easy thing to do without knowledge of where they are in the wall. At least two studs to be secure enough to hang a grill from.

The rail is pretty inexpensive. I added a 16" section to the one already on the side of our TT, to hold a light wooden table I crafted. I spent a VERY long time making sure screws would be effective. Measuring, wondering if I was going to hit a wire. It was nerve racking, and won't do it again.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #5

What about those grill mounts that bolt on the rear bumper ? I have the rail mount on the side from the factory but never bought the grill, I'm a little paranoid about a flame that close to my fiberglass wall.
The vent covers are easy.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
What about those grill mounts that bolt on the rear bumper ? I have the rail mount on the side from the factory but never bought the grill, I'm a little paranoid about a flame that close to my fiberglass wall.
The vent covers are easy.
My BIL has one on his TT, and uses it all the time. My question is, what if it starts to rain hard while you're half way through cooking? Not being under the awning seems weird to me. You might have to have an umbrella handy.
We have a stove that hangs on the side of ours, kept it when we traded in the last pop up it came with. Then added a piece of rail next to it, and made a table to go next to the stove. It's in our forum picture albums.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Looking to add both a rain cover for the bathroom vent and one of the accessory bars down the side of my coach so I can hang my "rv" approved grill off of. Any estimates as to how much I should expect the dealer to charge me to add those two things? The rain cover I probably could do myself but the accessory bar (or rail or whatever it's called) is probably out of my league...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff
As it happens, I was in the service dept of our local dealer, today, so I can tell you that their hourly rate is $150.
They quoted me "about $400" to lube four wheel bearings.
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
As it happens, I was in the service dept of our local dealer, today, so I can tell you that their hourly rate is $150.
They quoted me "about $400" to lube four wheel bearings.
That'll buy you almost 67 tubes of red tacky grease!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #9

The best vent covers i found are the maxxair 2 covers and having two installed on our redhawk this week
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Update, so I because I hate crawling on top I'm having the dealer install the cover for the bathroom vent van costing $80 in labor plus the $30'ish for the cover. Thought the $80 was worth it given that I'm not comfortable crawling on top...

Regarding the bar, they have to call Jayco and get an answer from them for the structural reasons called out in this thread so far. The question the dealer has is does Jayco even offer this on my model of coach and if so then they need to pull the structural drawings to hit the right spots and so on and so forth...

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote