Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Exit Window Screen?

Good evening,

In a post I read somewhere along the line someone mentioned a Velcro screen on their emergency exit window. On my 29 MV it's such a large window its a shame it won't stay open or have a screen. I'd rather use Windows than AC when possible for cooling and ventilation.

Has anyone retrofitted this window? How? Can a screen be ordered? How is it attached so you can still exit in emergency and finally, how do you keep the window open?

As always, thanks and happy trails!

Gayle
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #2

I made a screen using common parts from Home Depot. You'll need screening, spline material, spline tool, and screen hardware for the corners and straightaways. I use velcro on the corners to attach it. I use a short piece of 1X2 to prop it open and then a piece of velcro through and around the latches to secure it so it doesn't flap in the wind. All of that material and the tool should be under $30.

I priced out the OEM material (rounded corners and the same color) and it was WAY more expensive than what you can get at Home Depot.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:42 AM   #3

We have a 2015/2016 Seneca 37FS, with the "no ventilation but AC rear end. This was something we knew we would have to resolve from the beginning. To us, far more important than some of the other stuff they did, but I digress.

First, we had to find out how far it had to open before falling out. Carefully worked on this with another person, so somebody is both inside and out. I think its important to learn what your dealing with and test limitations. Looks to be better than about 45 degrees, before dropping out, so though the "cautions told" are important, I think it is something we can live with.

Decision made to try supporting with a removable brace of a 1x2 board, about 10 inches long. This is only to be used when parked and always to watch for strong wind. Imagine windows open and a breeze blowing through, front to back and window flapping in the breeze. Top prevent this from happening, we installed two small shock cords, 1/8 inch diameter, 10 inch long and little wire hooks on both ends. Usually black or tan/brown and sold at places like boat shops or camping supply. There are a couple of small vertical anchoring brackets that windows clip to when secured and I drilled a small hole in the edge of these to attach a shock cord each one of these.

So to hold window open, I release red closing handles, push bottom of window out and brace with a ten inch wooden 1x2. I hold the window tight against this brace with the two, small shock cords.

Now for a screen, we use Velcro strips on nylon screen. Velcro is black and on the frame and then other half is on the screen itself. Its just on the lower half of the window, but does the job.

We just peal the Velcro open, unlatch window, swing out, put brace in place, hold tight with shock cords and put screen back in place. Shock cord and wood brace lay in window channel all the time and are ready to use. Velcro screen is always on the lower half of the rear window.

Always secured shut, when underway, or breeze is up. Been in use since winter 2015 in Florida. Works great!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #4

I had a emergency exit only window replaced with an emergency window that opens - complete with screen. This was on a 2011 class A gasser. If you know the window manufacturer you will find that there have many options available.

I was told the coach builder would not use the opening exit windows because if someone left the window ajar fumes could come in and they would get sued. Not their problem if you replace it.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
We have a 2015/2016 Seneca 37FS, with the "no ventilation but AC rear end. This was something we knew we would have to resolve from the beginning. To us, far more important than some of the other stuff they did, but I digress.

First, we had to find out how far it had to open before falling out. Carefully worked on this with another person, so somebody is both inside and out. I think its important to learn what your dealing with and test limitations. Looks to be better than about 45 degrees, before dropping out, so though the "cautions told" are important, I think it is something we can live with.

Decision made to try supporting with a removable brace of a 1x2 board, about 10 inches long. This is only to be used when parked and always to watch for strong wind. Imagine windows open and a breeze blowing through, front to back and window flapping in the breeze. Top prevent this from happening, we installed two small shock cords, 1/8 inch diameter, 10 inch long and little wire hooks on both ends. Usually black or tan/brown and sold at places like boat shops or camping supply. There are a couple of small vertical anchoring brackets that windows clip to when secured and I drilled a small hole in the edge of these to attach a shock cord each one of these.

So to hold window open, I release red closing handles, push bottom of window out and brace with a ten inch wooden 1x2. I hold the window tight against this brace with the two, small shock cords.

Now for a screen, we use Velcro strips on nylon screen. Velcro is black and on the frame and then other half is on the screen itself. Its just on the lower half of the window, but does the job.

We just peal the Velcro open, unlatch window, swing out, put brace in place, hold tight with shock cords and put screen back in place. Shock cord and wood brace lay in window channel all the time and are ready to use. Velcro screen is always on the lower half of the rear window.

Always secured shut, when underway, or breeze is up. Been in use since winter 2015 in Florida. Works great!
I did the exact same thing and it works great!

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

I have the 37hJ with two of those emergency windows.. do you know who the manufacturer is per chance of those windows you talk about ?
sudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Any chance of getting a some pics? Thanks!
GM'sEnvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #8

We have the emergency window in our bedroom. I bought the hardware online so the window can open and close and am having a screen made at a screen shop so we can have an OEM opening emergency window for less than $50.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
We have the emergency window in our bedroom. I bought the hardware online so the window can open and close and am having a screen made at a screen shop so we can have an OEM opening emergency window for less than $50.

I would like to do the same.. what hardware did you purchase? My window only opens about two inches! Samsara

2015 Jayco Melbourne 29 D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I would like to do the same.. what hardware did you purchase? My window only opens about two inches! Samsara

Amazon, search for:
Hehr #H110-025 or
Kinro KRM02073-1
Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Amazon, search for:
Hehr #H110-025 or
Kinro KRM02073-1

Great! Thank You

Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #12

I cant find these parts on Amazon anymore...can anyone tell me what I am looking for. This would be for a 2016 37FS.

Or if someone knows who makes the rear window, I can try to find a kit on their site.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #13

Following. I would like a screen so I can rear open bedroom window as well.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #14

I am looking online, and I THINK these are the LCI 3000 series windows. However, I cant seem to determine if ours are the dropout type or hinged type. I THINK they are dropout and I dont really want to open it to far and test this out and break either the glass or something else if it is not hinged.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #16

emerceny exit screeen

you can make one to fit the window exactly. the parts are inexpensive. you can find them here.
https://www.pellandent.com/RV_Produc...CategoryID=304
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #17

emergency exit screeen

you can make one to fit the window exactly. the parts are inexpensive. you can find them here.
https://www.pellandent.com/RV_Produc...CategoryID=304
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #18

How I put screen in Greyhawk emergency window

I too wanted to use the emergency window with a screen. First I made a template using cardboard from a box. I made a one inch frame that matched the existing frame on the lower part of the window. Next I used the template to draw the shape of the frame on a piece of Masonite. A jigsaw was used to cut out the frame. I stapled screen material to the frame. Finally I placed self adhesive Velcro on the Masonite Frame and the existing frame. I use a paint stick to hold the window open. I have two different sizes depending on how wide I want the window open. A small bungee cord keeps the window snug to the paint stick so it won’t blow open with a gust of wind. I took two photos.
Attached Thumbnails
B56FCA23-2AB8-4DA0-8BE9-6032A19D19BC.jpg   4D706810-A65C-4448-9DC1-D7F94543FA2E.jpg  

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #19

For-warning...I was just informed by Jayco that these windows are DROPOUT windows, not technically hinged. Therefore, once you get past a certain degree in opening, it will fall out on the top side. I dont know the degree angle, but just be for-warned.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #20

Rear Window Mod with Window Hardware