Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #1

Exploring options to switch to LiFePO4

IHA 2020 Melbourne Prestige with 2 factory-installed Harris 12V 140Ah batteries and 1000W inverter. I’ve also installed GoPower 190W solar on the roof with controller (set to Flooded). I also bought a GoPower 200W portable solar kit that helps supplement. If in a sunny spot boondocking I can stay at near 100% on battery all day long avoiding using the generator in the evening. (Less so if it’s not sunny or I’m camping in the trees). I also installed a Victron BMS to stay on top of battery charge/discharge activities. I make sure that I stay above 50% charge daily.

I look to the future for where I’ll go with batteries and choices include AGM and LiFePO4. AGM is an easy baby step up from flooded lead acid but I see lithium dropping in price with many more benefits of deeper discharge and faster recharge. I’m aware that AGM would be a simple drop in replacement without much change (I think it’s just changing the charge profile on the solar controllers). But from my research it appears Lithium batteries would need more thought. The factory-supplied converter isn’t adequate to charge lithium. I think there are issues with the main circuit board. And I wonder about the transfer switch and viability of the Sprinter engine charging house batteries when traveling, and factory generator charging.

Does anyone have thoughts/details on modding a 2020 Melbourne Prestige for this upgrade?
white2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2833 View Post
The factory-supplied converter isn’t adequate to charge lithium. I think there are issues with the main circuit board. And I wonder about the transfer switch and viability of the Sprinter engine charging house batteries when traveling, and factory generator charging.

Huh. I would have *guessed* the converter would have been new enough to be able to charge the Lithiums. But, like you said, others have been able to call the manufacturer and find out that it's a board swap.

What would the Transfer Switch have to do with this? Just asking.

As I mentioned, the "no charging when under 32*F" is what keeps me away from Lithiums for a while. But I wonder if a call to someone like Battle Born would help? You'd think they'd be able to answer some of your questions.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
What would the Transfer Switch have to do with this? Just asking.
Possibly nothing but I wondered if the van’s alternator or the generator (or shore power for that matter) might need to be manipulated in some way to be a charging source for lithium batteries. Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
As I mentioned, the "no charging when under 32*F" is what keeps me away from Lithiums for a while. But I wonder if a call to someone like Battle Born would help? You'd think they'd be able to answer some of your questions.
Doing some recent reading, the lithium manufacturers are embedding battery warmers into their products with thermostats to deal with cold climate charging. With the LiFePO4 product down in the $500 range now, I’d bet that in 18-24 months they’ll be only a slight premium over AGM and we’ll be left with FLA or Lithium as choices.
white2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2833 View Post
The factory-supplied converter isn’t adequate to charge lithium. I think there are issues with the main circuit board. And I wonder about the transfer switch and viability of the Sprinter engine charging house batteries when traveling, and factory generator charging.
What converter do you have? The Progressive Dynamics 9260 in my Greyhawk isn't set up for LIFEPO4. But I found that adding the Charge Wizard pendant (<$20) lets me control it's modes manually and that's been working fine to keep my LIFEPO4 batteries charged correctly.

I can't think of any issues with the transfer switch but most people find they need to add some kind of DC-DC charger in the alternator circuit to keep the charge currents low enough to avoid overloading/overheating the alternator. I used the Renogy DCC50S.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #5

I am currently heading down this road with a 2021 Melbourne Prestige. It’s a lot to absorb. I see some setups want me to swap a lot of stuff out, including the Progressive Dynamics board which does not have a lithium capability from what I can tell. It would accommodate charging but not the 14.4 they’re calling for. So I can’t figure out how much really has to be swapped out. So please keep sharing information as will I on this project. I’d like to be able to fit in more than the two batteries that will fit in the step. I know some have put batteries under the bed, but I have no idea how much room is underneath. Would like to do at least four batteries. What I see out there would have me believe that I’ll spend at minimum another $1k on the additional electronics. I don’t know if that’s true. And I have been looking at the heated batteries that protect you at low temperatures and for storage.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #6

It may be helpful to check out some of the boating, especially bass boating forums. Many of the professional bass fisherman have switched over the lithium over the last few years for their trolling motor batteries. They've dealt with the charging issues and running various electronics with them. Some people love them for the low weight and smaller footprint, but others have elected to stay with traditional batteries for predictability reasons. Traditional batteries will taper as they discharge, a lithium just goes until it doesn't.
DazednConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #7

Great idea. They run some demanding equipment.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote