Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Extend-a-Stay

I had a break in the weather today, and with upcoming temps in the 20's, took the time to install an extend-a-stay in the Seneca. I installed before regulator and ran 3 foot line provided to external 30lb tank (just filled). All tested fine with no leaks.

The problem came when I went in to see how everything worked and lit all three burners. They ran great and then went dim. Turned fridge on LP and there is insufficient flow to light the furnace.

I know many of you have engineered backgrounds, and I believe my problem is likely the result of Poiseuille's Law, where radius is exponentially proportional to flow (to the 4th power).

However, you would have thought that this would have been understood during the development of this adaptation contraption!

Have any of you used one of these, and how have you plumed it? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #2

Poiseuille's Law pertains primarily to fluids (liquids) such as a medical i/v or even liquid propane. The Propane in your motor home is a cold gas when it reaches your burners LP and propane cannot be mixed in any appliance. If a gas stove requires propane in vapor form for operation, LP cannot be substituted. Likewise, a gas grill manufactured for LP cannot use propane vapor. Propane in its two different forms are not compatible. UMMM Did you check the level of propane in the tank?
Dcarl569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #3

Maybe propane tank company would have some suggestions for you. Is it possible it could be double regulated?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Have any of you used one of these, and how have you plumbed it? Any help is appreciated.
I have the version that allows me to either take non-regulated propane out from my onboard tank to an appliance that has its own regulator (Extend-a-flow) OR bring propane into my system from an external tank (Extend-a-stay). Not sure if you have the combination version or not. Picture of my installation below.

I have used it in prior years without issue. I use 20lb. BBQ cylinders as my source since they are easy to find almost everywhere to exchange if I can't find a convenient fill station. My hose from the external tank to the Extend-a-stay fitting is the one they provided with my kit.

Any chance you have tripped an excess flow protection device thereby limiting your flow?
Attached Thumbnails
LPG level indicator.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

Rob, yours looks exactly like mine does.

I am certain the tank is filled as I had picked up the yellow tape as the tank was being filled, and it is from the same place I filled the Seneca tank from yesterday so I am not thinking bad gas, but all good things to consider. I thought that maybe even something occurred to the tank so I put another 20lb tank on and the same problem occurred.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Rob, yours looks exactly like mine does.

I am certain the tank is filled as I had picked up the yellow tape as the tank was being filled, and it is from the same place I filled the Seneca tank from yesterday so I am not thinking bad gas, but all good things to consider. I thought that maybe even something occurred to the tank so I put another 20lb tank on and the same problem occurred.
A bad casting or somehow debris got into the unit? And turning on your onboard tank cures all ills?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Onboard tank works

Rob,
You are correct; if the Seneca's tank is on all things work as usual.

I looked into the Extend-a-Stay and see nothing which would be restricting flow. Since it seems to be a flow related issue, it would seem that it has something to do with the hose from the LP tank to the Extend-a-Stay. I don't know how I would cure this though.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #8

You appear to have it narrowed down to that hose assembly and/or the external tank fitting. Any chance you could go back to where you obtained it and have them exchange it? Or someone you know who has one and could let you test it on your unit?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Poiseuille's Law, where radius is exponentially proportional to flow (to the 4th power).
PV=nRT

Other than that, I got nuttin...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

Water tested

All propane tanks are filled with water for burst testing. They never get all the water out. Sounds like you may have had the regulator freeze up with ice from the water. The propane company can add a drying compound to your tank.

BullDozerBob
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #11

Older Tanks

I am using a grill tank i had for about two years and also a reserve 30lb tank I had been using for over a year on my TT without issue; these tanks did sit empty for about 4 months but are less than 3'years old. Do you still feel it's contaminated tanks or line going from tank to Extend-a-Stay?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #12

I once had a similar problem , the new tanks have a safety valve inside mine was malfunctioning cutting off the flow of propane
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #13

Strange

Strangely enough, spontaneous resolution of the problem. Maybe ice, maybe not screwed on tank tight enough for some safety valve? Anyway, running good on external LP tank. Thank you all for the ideas.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #14

Strange indeed, but in a good way!