Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #1

Extended Warranties

This should generate some interesting responses. Background information...we have recently gotten back into RVing after a three year break and purchased a barely used 2019 Seneca 37RB.

So now we are evaluating several extended warranty options:

* EasyCare--By far the most expensive at $8400 for 48 months but with few apparent exclusions

* American Guardian--next most expensive at $5512 for 60 months and with few apparent exclusions

* Good Sam Gold Plan--Significantly lower cost at $3507 for 48 months or $5260 for 72 months but with many more exclusions such as Engine Exhaust Brake, Suspension Air Dryer, Braking Assembly Air Dryer, All Wiring and fiber optics, Generator injectors--don't know if a diesel has them--and all generator wiring.

So the questions are:

* What experiences have you had with any of the referenced companies with regard to claims?

* How significant do you think the Good Sam exclusions are?

Full disclosure--the EasyCare and Good Sam Plans are with a $500 deductible per visit and the American Guardian is a $100 deductible per visit.

Thanks for any input.
Jpdunc9251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #2

I self insure myself for everything from cell phones to vehicles. Over the past 30 years my net savings are in excess of $20,000.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

Not a bad strategy. I rarely buy the extended warranties although sometimes motorhomes are an exception.

However, having said that, I haven't had great results in getting claims paid.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdunc9251 View Post

However, having said that, I haven't had great results in getting claims paid.
That's been a popular experience with these extended warranties. Go up to the yellow bar and try the search function for "extended warranty", you'll see. Many have said it's a MAJOR battle.

I'm in the camp of just sucking it up, and fix the problems myself, instead of letting the rig sit in the dealer's yard, waiting to be fixed by a half-assed tech with limited skills....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

I went back and forth on this for awhile on both our Greyhawk and now our Seneca and in both cases did purchase the 7yr extended warranty protection. The plan seems to cover (absolutely I've read the exclusions) "nearly" everything there is to cover and while I'm extremely handy I can't fix a broken slide in year 4 or a major engine malfunction in year 5 and so on and so forth. I totally get that everyone has an opinion about this one way or another but I'm new to diesel and a coach this large so for me the piece of mind is worth the ridiculous cost which I did negotiate down quite a bit but still...

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
I went back and forth on this for awhile on both our Greyhawk and now our Seneca and in both cases did purchase the 7yr extended warranty protection. The plan seems to cover (absolutely I've read the exclusions) "nearly" everything there is to cover and while I'm extremely handy I can't fix a broken slide in year 4 or a major engine malfunction in year 5 and so on and so forth. I totally get that everyone has an opinion about this one way or another but I'm new to diesel and a coach this large so for me the piece of mind is worth the ridiculous cost which I did negotiate down quite a bit but still...

Thanks,
Jeff
I agree. The first couple times I turned it down I swallowed hard. I was also keeping track of the amount I turned down. In the first ten years (1990) between two cars, contact lenses (yes it was a thing then), appliances, and a boat it was about $8,000. I started to breath easier after that. Now, it's really easy.

My most recent loss was a truck tire a couple years ago. It cost me $200 to replace it. The mechanic said he bet I wished I took the $50 warranty now. I pointed out I would only be breaking even at this point. I had to spend $50 per tire to get the coverage.

But you have to be in the position to cover your loses. Which by the way I've never had a problem with my coverage. They (I) paid immediately without any hassles or claim forms.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #7

Leaning toward self insuring and avoiding the hassle and red tape when I have an issue.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

I bought the extended warranty on my last Motorhome. Submitted two claims and had to fight the company on both for weeks. Never received any compensation for either even after sending in screenshots of the policy showing both were explicitly covered. The total cost of repairs would have been in the hundreds of dollars for a policy that cost me thousands. When I was offered the extended warranty on my Jayco I just laughed.
ArmyW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #9

Aggravation costs extra. This anecdote has nothing to do with RV's, but drives home a point: Recently had a tenant do damage to a house..with another person's uninsured car. Since he was insured and had permission to drive, I had to go after his car insurance. $18K damage. It took 7 months and over 75 hours of my time to navigate, and negotiate with his insurer (along with a few well placed memo's to the state insurance commissioner) to get $14K reimbursed. 75 hours at a minimum of (my time value)$50 per= $3750. That's a $7500 loss across the board. Those extended warranties are really insurance policies and full of all the same road blocks. If you don't value your time, they're probably just an 'ok' deal.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote