Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Extended Warranty

We just purchased a new 2015 Precept 31UL. I was determined to turn a deaf ear to the expected extended warranty sales pitch. Most consumers guides will tell you they are a 100% profit for the dealer and a waste of your money. They don't come cheap either. $2300.00 to extend the coach and chassis/drive train out to 5 years. My wife thought we should spring for it and,well, you know how the rest of it went. I actually do have some peace of mind about it and really, what's another couple thou when you're already spending a ton of dough? Your thoughts?
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

I didn't purchase any extended warranties on my 2014. I haven't purchased one on anything ever and haven't been burned yet. We practically live in our new unit during camping season, and appliances and whatnot are run long and often. I figure if problems arise it will be in the two year manufacturer warranty period. But its all personal preference. If you have peace of mind buying the warranty, you made the right choice. Congrats on the new unit
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmorr View Post
snip...... If you have peace of mind buying the warranty, you made the right choice. Congrats on the new unit
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

Gotta keep momma happy
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

X2, keep momma happy! We purchased the Good Sams 7 year warranty. I didn't do the math, but I sure sleep better at night and so does the wife... It was worth it even if I was getting ripped off. lol.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Did not buy it on my 2011. So far so good.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

there is a big difference IMO between a tow-able and a motor home.

I always purchase as long a warranty as I can buy on my vehicles.

On my trailer I believe it is a waste of money as many components have longer warranties anyway.

having a major failure in the drive train of a MH could easily run into the 5-7 thousand range. Nothing that catastrophic would ever happen to a tow-able.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

Make sure it is a warranty from the manufacturer, not a third party. Third party warrantees are almost 100% worthless.

$2300 is their first offer. If you want it, offer them half and work from there.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Read the fine print. Most warranty's wont cover things if you dont get a dealer to inspection once or twice a year. Inspections can end up costing more than any possible repairs ever would.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #10

Extended Warraies

For our new 2014 266RKs Eagle I purchased the extended warranties from the appliance mfg. which was offered in the literature provided with the TT. Purchased the extended warranty for the frig, Water Heater, A/C Unit, Furnace and Toilet, for $489.00 . These warranties kick in after the 2 year Jayco warranty expires. This is at least a cushion to defer some expense and I know it does not cover everything, nor does the RV America extended warranties. I know I had purchased one once from RV America and had the claim refused as my axle damage was not covered with a premium policy.
reedga1990
reedga1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
X2

Bob
Yep, what they said. We didn't purchase it and didn't on our TT or 5er. If Momma's happy.................
Happy wife............happy life.
Don't second guess.......just go enjoy your rig.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #12

Good day all,

We are in the same position: just ordered a Precept an dthe dealer now offers us 3 extended warranties.
Ever since the start of the crisis (we live in Holland / Europe) we decided not to insure anything anymore which we could afford to replace. Of course the new rig needs to be insured but the repairs, I can afford.

Still, being foreigners we feel it might take some hassle form you. We will fly over 3 times a year, make use of our MH, send it for maintainance once a year and for the rest have fun with it. We realize something will break down in due time and we think it might be easy to call the insurance and take care of it.

Offer:
Tyres & rims & roadside ass: 650 / 5 years
Treatment and coverage of all fabric, carpet etc: 495 / 5 years
7 years warranty (3rd party) on all working components of the MH incl parts/labor: 3095 / 7 years

Bit of an issue is there already is 2 years warranty by Jayco.
So mixed feelings: principles (only necessary insurances) or ..........

Thing is that, being Dutchmen, we are not really up-to-date with service of insurance companies in the US.

Glad we don't have to decide on it today.
Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #13

I bought the same coverage that you described for our Precept. I think I wouldn't do it again, as I believe the dealer ripped us off, and there are better and cheaper plans available.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #14

I purchased same from dealer recommended third part Chicago based American protection something kicks in after jayco..not sure if I did the right thing...but somehow it felt better doing than not..first rig for us live and learn
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Its not the deal you get, its the deal you think you get. If it gives you peace of mind it's worth it.
CharlieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #16

Thank you all.
@charlieC: now this doesn't give me peace of mind at all . There is nothing worse if you think you got things covered and in the end you don't.

When I read back I see guys who say no for reasons as CharlieC brought forward and there are guys who have purchased the warrantie(s) and are comfortable with it. Not because service was great or the service was exactly as it was expected but just because "peace of mind" etc.
I am hoping for these (missing) reactions / posts to get me across the line.
Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #17

In 2005 we purchased the extended warrantee thru our Jayco dealer around $ 2,000 if we didn't use it we would get $ 1,000 back at the end . Never had a issue with the jayco Designer quest what a year before the contract was up the company that the insurance was thru went under so no money back . The new pinnacle I am self insured [emoji4]
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote