Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

Extended warranty

Hi fellow motorhome owners. I will be picking up my new 2015 Precept 31UL on Saturday April 4th. They are trying to sell me an extended warranty on the motorhome. 7 year/72000 mile extended warranty for $3400. And this overlaps the initial 2 year Jayco warranty, so in essence it's only an addtional 5 years. Has anybody else purchased an extended warranty? Did you find that it was worth the extra money? I'm always mistrustful of these add ons by the finance manager and my inclination is to say NO! LOL
Thanks
Newbie31UL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #2

You have a two year on the Jayco ! Why buy one now ? Wait and at the end of two years I bet you that they'll be hounding us for the extended warranties! And if not I hear that Good Sam Club offers a pretty good warranty and a fair price .

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

On another website (RV'ers Welcome) an ex sales man posted an "Ask Me Anything" thread, and I asked him his opinion on warranties and other dealer add ons. His response was:

Quote:
I sold them. Look, like insurance companies, the only reason companies exist that sell warranties is because they pay out less than they take in. So if you look at it that way, MOST people won't benefit from warranties. So yeah, it's a bad idea in that sense. Besides 9 times out of 10, the problem with an RV is a leak. And no warranties would touch that with a ten foot pole.

HOWEVER, let's say you have a fairly limited budget. If a huge repair comes up, you may not be able to afford it in the middle of summer, when you want to be camping.
You can pay a few hundred dollars now, that is most likely a waste, but on the off chance you do need it, you might save $1000s and not have to forgo a vacation due to budget.

Protection packages are overpriced, but most of the stuff I sold was at least good quality. Fibreglass/paint protection really did help with UV discoloration, and the fabric protection was better than the spray can you can get at Home Depot.
Nicer looking units always sold for more money on my lot, so they were worth more as a trade. If you can't be bothered to wax, clean, and wash your RV regularly, go for the protection stuff. Otherwise, save some money, and find an aftermarket shop that specializes in it.

There's nothing special about the stuff they use on RVs. It's the same stuff car dealerships use, with a different sticker on the bottle.
To me, I rather take my chances. It would have to be a couple major issues for it to be worth while, and most issues should be worked out in the first year or 2. Warranties are a HUGE profit centre for the dealerships.

For what it's worth someone asked him if Jayco's were worth the extra money and he said he loved them! Would buy one if he was in the market!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #4

Thanks everybody. that's what I had been thinking as well. I'm surprised they gave me a week to think about it before they sprang it on me. Usually, like the car dealer, it happens in the finance office when you don't have time to think it over. I did buy the exterior protection package for $395. It supposed to have a 5 year warranty on the finish. Considering I've never handwashed my Audi, I figure that is worth the money.
Newbie31UL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

I would not recommend getting the extended warranty from the dealer. I have an extended warranty from Good Sam and have had it for years and they are great and a lot cheaper than the dealer. I would contact Good Sam now even though you have a two year warranty on your unit, and they can go over everything and suggest when to start your warranty once the factory one is over.
nascar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
I did buy a jay plus warranty from my dealer. The upfront cost was more than the quote from competitors but this was a 7 year warranty (that is really only valid for 5years) compared to a three year warranty. I did a per year cost comparison and the dealer warranty was cheaper per year (and yes I did factor in the warranty was for five years instead of 7). Also I have a 23MBH so my cost comparisons worked for me but may not work for your situation. Just bringing up that you should do a yearly cost instead of just looking at the upfront cost
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I would take my chances without warranty anytime. I rather have a huge discount than warranty. No matter what for warranty you pay upfront. Some unfortunately don't have any skills to fix anything. Then warranty comes in handy.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
That's one reason I bought warranty. I have some skills but I don't do electrical or mechanical well
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
That's one reason I bought warranty. I have some skills but I don't do electrical or mechanical well
X2

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote