Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #1

Extensive roof damage from hailstorm on Jayco Greyhawk 31FS

A recent hail storm in SD shredded the roof of our brand new 2019 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. While dealing with Progressive about repair cost we have encountered the problem that no one can / or is willing give us an estimate for a replacement roof kit and main entrance door. Jayco confirmed that it will take about 65hrs in the shop (for the roof repair) but are unwilling to supply the cost for the roof kit plus shipping. Progressive claims they can't get it either. So we are stuck in a Catch22 situation. Can't get a proper estimate without the roof/door price and can't go to a dealership to have roof repair appraised without committing to have them do the actual replacement. Tried dealership I bought from plus several Jayco recommended, tried Jayco CSR direct and several independent repair shops. Nobody can get those numbers. Only Jayco approved dealers get price info (according to Jayco). Why can't or won't they give it to the insurance company? Or is this just a ruse (by Progressive) to avoid having the unit totalled cause if there is no price on the estimate there is no way of proving the total cost of repair.
Anybody out there who had a similar problem or knowledge how to obtain those prices. I know from a comment at another Forum that this seems to be a problem for Jayco Fiberglass roofs, especially the way they are bend around the edges of the sides.
corgi_jayride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #2

They are just dogs, once the camper leaves the lot no one knows you anymore! We are almost 3 years into ownership of a 2016 Eagle! As we speak trying to finish last of the warranty!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #3

Sorry to hear that. Where has the value of customer service gone?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgi_jayride View Post
Can't get a proper estimate without the roof/door price and can't go to a dealership to have roof repair appraised without committing to have them do the actual replacement.
Difficult to believe a dealer/repair shop would not provide you with an estimate if you paid them up front (a reasonable fee) to furnish the estimate with the understanding the fee would be deducted from the repair cost if you let them do the work. Or does that only make sense in the real world, not in RV dealer fairyland?
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
A Nobody can get those numbers. Only Jayco approved dealers get price info (according to Jayco). Why can't or won't they give it to the insurance company? Or is this just a ruse (by Progressive) to avoid having the unit totalled cause if there is no price on the estimate there is no way of proving the total cost of repair.
JAYCO doesn't do Insurance repair work, it is up to a dealer. Just like GM or FORD work give out parts costs unless you get it from a dealer. JAYCO only ships/prices parts to their dealer network.

Should have added: The firberglass material is not a JAYCO exclusive, nor is the door.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

You have one of the largest Jayco dealers right there in the Black Hills...get an estimate from them.. or get an estimate on another material whatever the company quoting the labor portion recommends..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
You have one of the largest Jayco dealers right there in the Black Hills...get an estimate from them.. or get an estimate on another material whatever the company quoting the labor portion recommends..
Progressive should also have a network of repair shops, they do for cars.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #8

@ Grumpy - I did not imply that Jayco would or should do the repair. But I know they make a roof kit and it has a price tag attached to it. All I am perplexed about is why Jayco would not share that price with my RV mechanic or insurance adjuster so we can get it into the estimate for reimbursement. It is not a matter of national security. LOL
Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

Roof

We were told by an RV Armor roof salesman at a RV rally that many insurance companies use them for “ roof replacements “ because it is cheaper and better than a roof replacement I don’t know if it is true but depending on the roof condition - I would love that option if it would be feasible because it is very impressive looking and a lifetime warranty with no recaulking sounds wonderful Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
@ Grumpy - I did not imply that Jayco would or should do the repair. But I know they make a roof kit and it has a price tag attached to it. All I am perplexed about is why Jayco would not share that price with my RV mechanic or insurance adjuster so we can get it into the estimate for reimbursement. It is not a matter of national security. LOL
Didn't mean it that way. I can tell you if I was a dealer and heard JAYCO was giving out "dealer pricing" to a 3rd party I wouldn't be happy since I just lost some profit. Just like they only sell and ship parts to their dealers. Repair shop and or Progressive should get the retail pricing from a JAYCO dealer. As I said GM and FORD won't tell you what price they sell a car or parts to a dealer for and that's the only price JAYCO has, dealer cost.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #11

Sounds like shenanigans. Good luck
Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #12

Truly sorry to hear of your brand new motorhome getting damaged like that. Hope it gets fixed back to like new for you!

How big was the hail? Why just the door and the roof? You have any pictures you could share with us? Curious to see what damage hails does to these fiberglass roofs. Did you get any damage to the Ford parts?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #13

wish you good luck getting fixed that has to really hurt getting a brand new rig damaged like that I saw some pic the other day on news cars looked like they had baseballs thrown at them
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 AM   #14

What about an unaffiliated independent RV repair facility? I have one I have used in the past on several occasions and it was a pleasant experience.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
What about an unaffiliated independent RV repair facility? I have one I have used in the past on several occasions and it was a pleasant experience.
I was wondering the same. Have you tried taking it to an independent repair facility and asking them for a quote on the repair. You have a right under law to take it where ever you want for repair.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #16

You might consider replacing your roof with http://rvroof.com. Most of their locations do repair as well as roof replacement. I had this done to my 5'er after the original roof membrane failed at 5 years of age. The rubber roof manufacturer's 12 year warranty was totally worthless so I had to pay for it out of pocket and would do it again.

I would NEVER replace a rubber roof with another rubber roof EVER even if I had to pay for the RV Flex Armor roof out of pocket which I did.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
You might consider replacing your roof with http://rvroof.com. Most of their locations do repair as well as roof replacement. I had this done to my 5'er after the original roof membrane failed at 5 years of age. The rubber roof manufacturer's 12 year warranty was totally worthless so I had to pay for it out of pocket and would do it again.

I would NEVER replace a rubber roof with another rubber roof EVER even if I had to pay for the RV Flex Armor roof out of pocket which I did.
He has a fiberglass roof...all Greyhawks come with fiberglass roofs.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
He has a fiberglass roof...all Greyhawks come with fiberglass roofs.
Oops! Didn't know that.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #19

All Greyhawks starting 2016 have Fiberglass roofs
Unfortunately it is very thin and unsupported on the
edges where curves down the side.
Our last 2 RVs had Fiberglass roofs more than twice as Thick.
with double the styrofoam under it
Winne and Monaco brands
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #20

I haven't heard or seen any issues with the Jayco fiberglass roofs...and it's funny that we haven't heard from the OP since the first post about his situation?

Tags
damage, hail, insurance, progressive, roof