Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Exterior Damage? Fix?

We've owned our 2017 Greyhawk 31FS for about 10 weeks. Took it out several times over that period. Before this last trip, I took it out of the storage lot we had it in and found the exterior seems to have wash marks in it. Maybe brushstrokes is a better word; even splatter marks. See the attached images. There is a definite difference in color and feel between areas of brushstrokes and areas that are not stroked; even light colored decals are not exempt. It's on all sides of the exterior of the RV, but the cab (the painted portion from Ford) seems to be fine.

Of course I consulted the User Manual, called Jayco, and asked the dealer -- wtf everyone? Jayco and the manual state to not use brushes on the exterior panels and also note that a mild detergent should be used in tandem with a hand mitt. In fact Jayco says the exterior panel's surface are "very delicate". The dealership sent me a picture of the brush that they use to clean rigs (not a soft bristle, but plastic) and sent me information on the wash & wax solution that they use. Their wash & wax supplier insists it is OK for RVs; I dispute this. This looks like a haphazard attempt to wash the rig...they were washing it the day we picked it up. I have tried washing the areas with water, then with Dawn dishsoap, but nothing, absolutely nothing makes these marks fade or disappear. I believe that the wash & wax solution used in tandem with the brush damaged my exterior. The dealership is silent on the matter with the exception of saying they use a brush as is industry standard to wash the RVs on their lot.

So I'm reaching out to ask -- how can this be fixed? It appears that the exterior coating has been compromised? The UV coating? The value of the rig over the long haul? Anyone else seen this type of damage?
Attached Thumbnails
_IMG_6846.jpg   _IMG_6847.jpg   _IMG_6849.jpg  
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Being 10 wks out you will have a hard time pinning it on the dealer.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #3

The last image look like the notorious black streaks! There are lots of posts on this subject.

There are a number of products people like to use to remove them.

I like a product called "Spray Power" by Crown. I use it full strength, spray it on, and watch the streaks slide down. Works good for bug removal too. The I wash the area while it is still wet.

Others like, Awesome, Purple Power, Simple Green, and I have heard of others.

I have heard of people using Magic Eraser, which scares me, plus its to much work.

The other two images looks like something was splattered on it. I would try using a good carwash on it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #4

Have you tried an automotive clay bar on the black marks? If not, pick some up at a big box store (mothers, meguires etc) and give that a shot.

It's been my experience that clay will remove 99% of surface contaminates even where heavy detergents will not.

They normally come with a bottle of spray wax to use a lubricant, however, I find a bucket of really sudsy car soap works really well, too.

I would not recommend a magic eraser as you will likely damage your clear coat. I would also agree that a bristle brush is NOT the way to wash a painted surface. -The old fiberglass rigs would tolerate it, however, the high-gloss finishes that are on our coaches should be treated with the utmost care.

My rig had been washed with a brush by the previous owner a few times and the marks were quite deep. I ended up spending several days using a dual-action polisher with a scratch & swirl compound that starts off as a compound and as it breaks down turns to a polish. Likely, this is what will be needed on yours, too. Once you've leveled your paint, you can put on a sealant and (if you're still up for more punishment) a wax.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

@Jagiven: Thanks I'll try those solutions. I washed the decals with both Dawn and Armor All car wash, nothing made them leave. I'll try some of the other options you list.

@Grumpy: To this point they have not denied anything, they haven't admitted to anything either. In the end it is under warranty and something will have to be done. Jayco will likely want to know the reason behind it before they approve any warranty work. If the dealer points back at me, then we will do a test on an area unaffected using the dealer's cleaner - they sent me the MSDS, the supplier's name, the product and an image of the brush they use. They have already documented what they used (bullets). The test (gun) will be what proves it out. Only two of us have owned the RV: them and me. They had it for 8 months, me two and half - I'm a terrible owner, I just washed it for the first time (the roof and cab) Wednesday of this week.

My concern is: what can be done to remedy it?
Old 09-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

@Memphis2: Yikes! Wax, polish, several days... I'm not sure that's a skill set I own just yet. But I'll start the research process on understanding how best to go about that.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

I would try some cleaner/wax, like Meguires, comes in a maroon bottle, may just be minor scuff marks from "the brush" that will polish out. I use this wax on my cars, and will remove dried bug remains, tar, etc., with some rubbing using a wax applicator pad from wally world.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Have you tried an automotive clay bar on the black marks? If not, pick some up at a big box store (mothers, meguires etc) and give that a shot.

I would not recommend a magic eraser as you will likely damage your clear coat. I would also agree that a bristle brush is NOT the way to wash a painted surface.
Just thought I'd throw this out....majic erasers do not damage the clear coat. Quite the opposite. My local guy who owns a body shop turned me on to using the majic eraser sheets instead of the clay bar or any compound. Both of those will scratch paint...by design...which is why they have to follow up with glazing to bring back the shine .... and his input, they only use compound when finishing a paint job or when doing a detail, they use a painter's magnifying loupe to inspect the crazing in the paint to determine if compounding is needed. If not, they go to the majic eraser sheets...not the sponge, but the sheets. I pull a White Hawk and like the rest of the trailer line, the thing is skinned with FRP so there is no gel coat nor clear coat and the only way I remove stains is with the sheets. Just returned from a trip where I was parked under a tree with purple berries that the birds loved and then the crapped all over the nose of the trailer...with that purple juice in them. It took two hours of my time, water only and one sheet and the thing looks like new.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote