Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokergeist View Post
That was enlightening. I looked closer at the manual and confirmed that the EC30 has shore power sensing, turns on the generator in response to HVAC requests, and even has a battery pre-fill function that tops off the batteries before quiet time. Thanks!
You are very welcome pokergeist.
I am pretty green at this as we have never owned a RV at all but waiting for the big day when Wife says "enuff" at her job. Then it will be Class C (Greyhawk or Cousin Entegra Odyssey) buying time.
Lichtsinn's has a bunch of great informative and tutorial vids. Too bad they don't carry Jayco along with their Winnies.

The auto gen start is a definite for us with the Goldens to be able to leave them for a couple of hours or so while we would go shopping or sightseeing where they wouldn't be allowed.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
You are very welcome pokergeist.
I am pretty green at this as we have never owned a RV at all but waiting for the big day when Wife says "enuff" at her job. Then it will be Class C (Greyhawk or Cousin Entegra Odyssey) buying time.
Lichtsinn's has a bunch of great informative and tutorial vids. Too bad they don't carry Jayco along with their Winnies.

The auto gen start is a definite for us with the Goldens to be able to leave them for a couple of hours or so while we would go shopping or sightseeing where they wouldn't be allowed.
If you decide on lithium - you would need to tweak the voltages a bit - full is more like 14.4 and low is like 12.9 here is a chart I found somewhere
Attached Thumbnails
DE9B5894-0857-4AA8-A899-53C675162BAD.jpeg  
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmopilot View Post
If you decide on lithium - you would need to tweak the voltages a bit - full is more like 14.4 and low is like 12.9 here is a chart I found somewhere
LFP has a very flat discharge curve where the cells spend most of the time at 3.2V. A typical 4-S (4 cells, or paralleled groups of cells in series) configuration has a nominal voltage of 12.8V for the pack. Discharge should stop well above 2V/cell - the BattleBorn BMS breaks the discharge circuit at 10V (2.5V/cell) until charging is detected.

The Battery University Measuring State-of-Charge page states "Li-phosphate has a very flat discharge profile, making voltage estimations for SoC estimation difficult" and "The discharge voltage curves of Li-manganese, Li-phosphate and NMC are very flat, and 80 percent of the stored energy remains in the flat voltage profile. While this characteristic is desirable as an energy source, it presents a challenge for voltage-based fuel gauging".

For any degree of accuracy you need a meter that implements Coulomb counting (measures incremental current in and out of a battery set). The Victron Battery Monitors are popular.
Attached Thumbnails
discharge_voltage_of_lithium_iron_phosphate.jpg  
pokergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokergeist View Post
LFP has a very flat discharge curve where the cells spend most of the time at 3.2V. A typical 4-S (4 cells, or paralleled groups of cells in series) configuration has a nominal voltage of 12.8V for the pack. Discharge should stop well above 2V/cell - the BattleBorn BMS breaks the discharge circuit at 10V (2.5V/cell) until charging is detected.

The Battery University Measuring State-of-Charge page states "Li-phosphate has a very flat discharge profile, making voltage estimations for SoC estimation difficult" and "The discharge voltage curves of Li-manganese, Li-phosphate and NMC are very flat, and 80 percent of the stored energy remains in the flat voltage profile. While this characteristic is desirable as an energy source, it presents a challenge for voltage-based fuel gauging".

For any degree of accuracy you need a meter that implements Coulomb counting (measures incremental current in and out of a battery set). The Victron Battery Monitors are popular.
I completely agree that is why I installed a bmv-712 for my install (discussed earlier in this thread).

I was discussing the voltage, referring to trying to take advantage of the onan auto start/stop based on SOC system - that chart I posted was used in a forum post by one of the battleborn people. I also have observed my bmv-712 display similar voltages at least on the full end - I haven’t yet taken my 2 BB’s down below 50% SOC so I can’t personally verify below that yet.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #25

Battery Types Tutorial

The information here has been great and a huge help.......Thank you!

Here's a good basic easy to understand tutorial on battery types. Great for solar newbe's like myself.
Jared does a excellent job of explaining things. He has numerous good tutorials on solar systems (as far as I can tell)
The information here has been great and a huge help.......Thank you!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote