Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #21

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
When I got the "blue" pass for my 5th setup I had to print out an application and mail it. The advantage is that the 5th setup gets a little discount off vs a TT. You're better off getting the right class out of the gate. Also if you have a cab over you might consider the bumper mount.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf
I think that is the answer I was looking for but could not find on their Website.... One would think this should be an easy process, particularly when you have States like Mass. which are going fully electronic this month.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2 IL, OH, IN, NY, WV etc etc
X3!

Got transponders in my car, truck and SWMBO's Tacoma. Used to go through a 'manned' lane when towing so they could count axles.

Didn't matter. Still doesn't

They charge all civilians the passenger car rate. Commercial trucks (making money on state-paid-for-roads) are the ones that pay big time.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #23

NY Restrictions

The NY website for passenger vehicles limits rear Axel to single tires and weight to 7000lbs neither of which the MH meets, that is part of my problem.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #24

Stopped in NY

I stopped in NY on Hwy 81 on route to Lake George. Before selling me the Transponder the young lady at the counter gave me their pamphlet, which was far more informative then their website. The "Passenger Vehicle Transponders are only for vehicles with two axels, four tires and less then 7000 lbs. So no good for the MH. They also don't sell the bumper mount which I suspect I will need due to the Cab-over.

The good news is the pamphlet had contact info which was also not readily available on the website so now I can give them a call. Which I will doin the spring... No point paying winter rental fees while the bus is in storage.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
The NY website for passenger vehicles limits rear Axel to single tires and weight to 7000lbs neither of which the MH meets, that is part of my problem.
I'm going to go out on a limb here....

Generally, it seems to me that RV's (regardless of size) are considered 'passenger vehicles' when it comes to road taxes and tolls.

Yes, any vehicle registered in NY over 5,500lbs curb weight must carry commercial registration, but as long as it is for personal use (not a business) you pay passenger car tolls, don't stop at highway inspection stations, etc.

We (RV owners) are in a peculiar grey area. Our portable (or self-propelled) houses can weigh as much as OTR trucks or other vehicles that are making money by traveling over the state owned roads. But we are traveling for pleasure/personal reasons. The road taxes (tolls) are aimed at businesses moving freight, not families that are going to be spending money at state parks or other tourist destinations.

We want to comply with all applicable laws and rules (EZ-Pass is a private company) of operation. But sometimes it is silly to actually enforce certain applicable laws/rules. Usually the enforcement agencies are well versed in what is and is not enforceable.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had EZ-pass for many years. 1 tag has a Hudson River Crossings commuter discount. The other 2 are on SWMBO's Tacoma and my F-350. It's $7.74 per trip between Newburg and Utica. Regardless if we drive my Jetta, her Taco or Montblanc pulling TheJayco.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote