Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #1

Ezpass and class c

Just received our ezpass for our class c . Any difficulty with placement due to overhead cab..??? WINDSHIELD IS SOME WHAT BLOCKED..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #2

I was wondering the same but have not tried it yet.

On my return trip from taking delivery I had my EZ pass with me attached to the windshield. It fell off midway home on my 1100 mile trip and I still have not located it. I have looked everywhere for it. The cab area just swallowed it up.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

In my Seneca it is affixed to the bottom center of my windshield, just above the dash pad. Works great there, I have never had any issues passing through numerous state's toll booth or the newer highway speed reading lanes.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

I got one which mounts to my front license plate. Works great and avoids issue of having it under cap. It is what my ez pass recommended to not have an issue.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
In my Seneca it is affixed to the bottom center of my windshield, just above the dash pad. Works great there, I have never had any issues passing through numerous state's toll booth or the newer highway speed reading lanes.
X2 on my Greyhawk
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #6

For the past 3 years my 2016 Grayhawk has had the EZ-pass transponder mounted on the windshield behind the rear view mirror with out a problem.
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick8 View Post
I got one which mounts to my front license plate. Works great and avoids issue of having it under cap. It is what my ez pass recommended to not have an issue.
I was about to go this route for my unit, but then the issue of a separate pass for my toad came up with the I-Pass representative I spoke to. She told me that when towing I should remove the towed car's pass and wrap it in several layers of aluminum foil to prevent it from confusing the readers when being towed. Then upon arrival at a destination where car pass use might be needed, unwrap it and replace it on the windshield of the car.

Not wanting to deal with all that, I just remove it from the windshield of the Seneca at arrival and put it in the car. Based on my online account, every state seems to have no problems correctly counting the additional axles of the towed car and billing me for them!

P.S. I live in Ohio (an E-ZPass state) but I got my I-Pass before Ohio ever adopted E-ZPass. And I have close family in Illinois and travel there frequently. Plus Ohio initially was charging a monthly fee just to have E-ZPass, but I think they stopped that.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #8

Stuck mine behind the rrear view mirror and never had a problem in multiple states.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #9

We don't have a rear view mirror but we placed our EZPass at the base of the windshield and it works fine. Now if I could just convince the toll collectors that they shouldn't ring up our toad as well each time we zip through the EZ Pass lane . . . .

I think the 'put it behind your mirror' instruction was written by safety lawyers who don't want to be accused of interfering with your field of view.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
We don't have a rear view mirror but we placed our EZPass at the base of the windshield and it works fine. Now if I could just convince the toll collectors that they shouldn't ring up our toad as well each time we zip through the EZ Pass lane . . . .

I think the 'put it behind your mirror' instruction was written by safety lawyers who don't want to be accused of interfering with your field of view.
Rick - Do you have a separate pass in your toad?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #11

I have a license plate mount ez pass. Work's good. If you have one in the toad, make sure to remove it and wrap it in aluminum, so you don't get charged for it.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Rick - Do you have a separate pass in your toad?
Yes.. Both are the stick on ‘mini’ type that you cant remove without destroying them.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Yes.. Both are the stick on ‘mini’ type that you cant remove without destroying them.
Mine are attached with 3M Dual Lock strips, easy to remove yet hold very securely. Plus the adhesive doesn't "melt" in the hot sun.

"Dual" transponders is exactly what Illinois told me to avoid to eliminate read errors. Do you think you get charged for additional axles on your Seneca plus your toad? That would bite!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #14

ezpass

thanks to all, I love this forum
Old 11-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Mine are attached with 3M Dual Lock strips, easy to remove yet hold very securely. Plus the adhesive doesn't "melt" in the hot sun.

"Dual" transponders is exactly what Illinois told me to avoid to eliminate read errors. Do you think you get charged for additional axles on your Seneca plus your toad? That would bite!
I get charged for both vehicles. The system can’t distinguish a towed vehicle from a motoring vehicle. I think the basis for tolling is simply axles on the road, not my desire for it to be drivers on the road.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #16

I spoke with an ez pass rep and they told me I can use the same one for both vehicles. Keep it in the MH when towing and put it in the towed once the MH is set up.
I guess I should check my account and see if it makes sense. Transponder is set up in the center at bottom of windshield. It works fine.
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #17

EZ Pass

In our case, the passenger just holds up the transponder as we approach a toll. But even that isn't necessary as long as you have all of your vehicles registered with EZ Pass (make, model, license plate number, etc). If you don't have the transponder, or it doesn't get picked up in the toll lane - your vehicle will be checked in the data base. We need the EZ pass for three vehicles, so we move it between vehicles, depending on the trip. The only time there may be an issue with not having the transponder is if it is needed to trip a barrier, but those are becoming pretty rare now that there is open road tolling. We live in Florida and also have a Sun Pass. We forgot it on a trip, but all tolls were picked up because car was registered on the site.
Barbara20112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #18

Tried on dash..had an issue. Obtained license plate transponder. NO issues since then.
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #19

we have a transponder in each vehicle.. thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
SUP

Go through the cash lane for the 1st time using the transponder. Stop at the booth and ask if has registered the amount owed.
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote