Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

Factory Tour

If any of you fellow Jayco owners ever get an opportunity to tour the Jayco assembly plant (Middlebury IN) - I strongly recommend it! I believe they offer tours daily Mon-Thurs at 2:00 PM (reservations required Factory Tours | Jayco, Inc.). We were fortunate enough to get a special tour last Friday of the Greyhawk assembly area. Though the production had finished early for the day, we walked through the entire process from bare Ford frame to finished exterior decal prep. You really get to see the production techniques, engineered assembly steps and otherwise hidden components that go into every Greyhawk. The line was producing the 31FS (their 2nd most popular model - 29MV is most popular). I got a lot of questions answered (officially) of various posts I read on here. For instance I had read here that the towing capacity of our 2015 Greyhawk (though stated at 5000 lbs) was using the same frame setup as the 2016s so it was really 7500 lbs. Not true... they have beefed up the frame & hitch components for the 16s, so 2015s are truly 5000lbs.

Anyway, a great afternoon tour - thanks Chris & Jayco!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

Agree, I'm glad I had the opportunity to take the tour as well. Highly recommend.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #3

So if I obtain an identical hitch as the '16 and put onto my '15 Jayco 31 FS then I will be good for 7500 lbs????
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Dan View Post
So if I obtain an identical hitch as the '16 and put onto my '15 Jayco 31 FS then I will be good for 7500 lbs????
I think it is more than just the hitch since our guide mentioned additional bracing and bolts.
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #5

Which seems to contradict info. I have seen on a similar website regarding the 2015 Ford frame with a Forest River Coach that Ford had rated at 7500 lbs. Your tour guide may be right but perhaps someone else who knows might chime in here with what they know about it. Thank you for your response.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote