Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #1

Fast Idle switch mod

In my last post I shared the location for lots of data related to the Ford E series that most of us have. With that in mind I found the following...

There is already built-in to the computer the ability to use a switch (or two) in order to idle up the RPM when parked. This appears to be primarily used for applications such as ambulances and similar emergency built vehicles.

Question, if the mod was easy enough, would there really be any value in having the ability to idle up the engine say for cooling purposes in the heat of the summer (making the A/C colder) or for higher amp alternator output (vs low idle), or perhaps to warm up the engine faster? I see how this could be wired in easily enough, but not sure it would really be useful to do so.

The guide tells me I could have the idle switch(s) static set for anywhere between 900 and 2300 rpm or use a variable resistor and dial in any desired rpm in that range.

Thoughts?
~CA
Old 01-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #2

Interesting.

My first thought was :heck, I don't need anything that will reduce my gas mileage..." But on the flipside, I'm already at 8MPG - so it can't get much worse!

I'm content with the current idle I think. It warms up faster than any of our cars and the AC seems cold enough, but who knows?

If you do the mod, I'll be watching and reading!!!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Interesting.

My first thought was :heck, I don't need anything that will reduce my gas mileage..." But on the flipside, I'm already at 8MPG - so it can't get much worse!

I'm content with the current idle I think. It warms up faster than any of our cars and the AC seems cold enough, but who knows?

If you do the mod, I'll be watching and reading!!!
I don't see a lot of value in doing this mod either. Just something I was thinking of and wondering if others thought it would be of value.

I did do a similar mod on my Duramax though, as they have a similar ability and what I used it for there was for a faster warmup. Also in the hottest of the summer I can leave it running at a fast idle and when I do that the A/C is much colder than at normal idle when I get back in. As far as the motorhome, I don't leave it idling much anyway so I doubt I will make this mod. Thanks, CA
Old 01-25-2021, 09:23 PM   #4

It can be useful... On our Seneca, I open the cab door and hit the cruise control speed switch (accel / resume) and the idle speed responds with faster or slower. I've used it to increase the air compressor output when using air tools. Not much else.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
It can be useful... On our Seneca, I open the cab door and hit the cruise control speed switch (accel / resume) and the idle speed responds with faster or slower. I've used it to increase the air compressor output when using air tools. Not much else.
Does the cab door need to be open for this to work?

I have tried to get the 16 Seneca to high idle (to shorten wait time to build up air pressure) with cruise control but nothing happened. I did not have the door open.
Diesel the RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel the RV View Post

I have tried to get the 16 Seneca to high idle (to shorten wait time to build up air pressure) with cruise control but nothing happened. I did not have the door open.
Not on my 20 Accolade. Door closed or open and fast idle works just fine.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel the RV View Post

does not work with foot on the brake... but with door open / closed it works.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #8

My Ram CTD pickup has a high idle feature that really helps heat up faster in the cold weather. I've never considered it for AC enhancement though...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote