Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #1

Fiberglass front cap cracks

I have a 2018 Redhawk 29xk and as I was washing it I noticed these 2 cracks on the front cap. The first one is a single crack over the drivers door area, the second one is dead center on the front of the cap over the windshield and looks like a bug or rock hit it. It is spider cracked around whatever impacted it. Anyone know a fix that I can do or is this something that I should take to a fiberglass/gelcoat repair place like a boat repair shop?
Attached Thumbnails
20210525_210227.jpg   20210525_211721.jpg   20210525_210314.jpg   20210525_211747.jpg  
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #2

I have a fiberglass shop look at it. It's likely that only the gel coat is damaged.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I have a fiberglass shop look at it. It's likely that only the gel coat is damaged.
Ok thanks. Yeah after looking at it more I agree it's just the gelcoat cracked. Only surface deep
Old 05-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #4

Well i was told when i talked about paint on front cap that it is bot painted from factory just fiberglass? We have a small crack over the passeger door that dealer fixed once and is back real small again.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:45 AM   #5

How long ago did the dealer fix it?
Old 05-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #6

Just over two years ago it was fixed and started cracking again almost a year ago. I am looking at possibly having front cap painted or gel coated paint shop
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:32 PM   #7

Did you ever do anything with this? I'm having the same issue - small gelcoat cracks over the entire front cap of my 2012 Whitehawk. Camper places seem to redirect me. Haven't been able to talk to anyone yet directly about it. Looking for costs. Is a full face vinyl wrap an option that may last longer?
GT Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Rob View Post
Did you ever do anything with this? I'm having the same issue - small gelcoat cracks over the entire front cap of my 2012 Whitehawk. Camper places seem to redirect me. Haven't been able to talk to anyone yet directly about it. Looking for costs. Is a full face vinyl wrap an option that may last longer?
I have not done anything to it yet. I did price a full body paint job but that was $12k. I don't know what a vinyl wrap would cost but I am sure that would be a good option. I remember talking to someone a year ago that did a full vinyl wrap and said it was half the cost of fbp and I think was supposed to last 10 years maybe.
#Love4Layla