RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Nazareth
Posts: 4
Find a leak

New to the forum . I have 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31 ss i have leak in both corners of the bunk over the cab. I put a tarp over the seam area even though the sealant looks ok. Today I went to look at it and still have leak. There is no sign of it in overhead ceiling. Anybody have a similar issue ,know of a fix.
Thanks so much..
Mountbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 10,102
Could be the clearance lights. If you have a dealer close by have them do a "SEAL-TECH" test.

https://www.rvtravel.com/find-water-...h-leak-tester/
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 2,466
X2 on the exterior lights. Basically a hole drilled into your shell with a wire or two coming out. If the base is not caulked properly or the snap on cover is not tight then they will leak (not might, will).
Run a bead of dicor or equivalent but never! Silicone! all the way around it and if you have a non-led fixture see if the cover is tight. If you caulk down the cover apply sparingly so you take it off to replace the bulbs.

Wind at 65 mph can drive rain up under things so all 4 sides need to be sealed.
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
Andersen WDH hitch
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Nazareth
Posts: 4
Will check that out . Thats what i was thinking maybe the lights..
Mountbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 258
Put together your our leak detector. I did with an 27' Award tt I couldn't locate a leak.
All it takes is to positive pressurize your tt, soapy solution and spray bottle. It will not hurt anything and you will find the leaks.
I happened to have basically a dust collector that I rigged the exhaust hose to my tt, turned it on, waited a bit and began to squirt soapy solution in areas I thought might be leaking. Found them and fixed.
Got the idea from a reverse of a test local electrical company offered on our house, they used negative pressure and used smoke to find drafts. Remembering this I thought why wouldn't it work in reverse?
Well it does, try it.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,014
PaulB12, I like that idea!

Clearance lights are a common issue. If you removed the lens cover, and then remove the mounting screws. If they are steel screws (usually are). If they show signs of rust, you got a leaky light fixture.


You do not mention if the signs of water is up high along the main ceiling or down low along the bunk mattress area (cab roof joint). Over the years number of people have posted issues between the joint between the chassis Cab and the fiberglass MH shell. Well worth taking some time to inspect.

Sure you already have, but check the gutters, corner joints, etc.

Remember water flows down hill, and will take the route of least resistance. Parents had a TT, that had a water leak in the ceiling. They looked for it for years and could not find the source. It did not leak with every rain storm. Final found it while doing some remodeling work. It was the TV antenna. Water leaked in through the antenna mounting frame, followed the cable until it touched another wire in the ceiling, then followed that wire until it touched a truss frame, which then allowed the water to touch the ceiling board. If I recall it was about 8 feet from the antenna where the water signs of water was at.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 258
Looking at the site given a few posts back is what they do. But for $5,000.00 only a dealer could afford, then what do they charge$$$$.
A squirrel cage type fan would work. Be patient....the bubbles will appear!

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Looking at the site given a few posts back is what they do. But for $5,000.00 only a dealer could afford, then what do they charge$$$$.
A squirrel cage type fan would work. Be patient....the bubbles will appear!

PaulB12
I just posted their site to show you what i was talking about. Some people say "HUH" when you mention Seal-Tech since there are several companies with the same name.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I just posted their site to show you what i was talking about. Some people say "HUH" when you mention Seal-Tech since there are several companies with the same name.
No problem, I was pointing out it is a DIY job. Hardest part is hooking it up.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
eow
Senior Member
 
eow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 147
If you have exhaust fans that can also reverse the air flow (intakes air vs exhausts air), it is an easy way to pressurize your rig to find leaks with soapy water.
__________________
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 265HBS
2015 F250 CC 6.2 4x4
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Nazareth
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
PaulB12, I like that idea!

Clearance lights are a common issue. If you removed the lens cover, and then remove the mounting screws. If they are steel screws (usually are). If they show signs of rust, you got a leaky light fixture.


You do not mention if the signs of water is up high along the main ceiling or down low along the bunk mattress area (cab roof joint). Over the years number of people have posted issues between the joint between the chassis Cab and the fiberglass MH shell. Well worth taking some time to inspect.

Sure you already have, but check the gutters, corner joints, etc.

Remember water flows down hill, and will take the route of least resistance. Parents had a TT, that had a water leak in the ceiling. They looked for it for years and could not find the source. It did not leak with every rain storm. Final found it while doing some remodeling work. It was the TV antenna. Water leaked in through the antenna mounting frame, followed the cable until it touched another wire in the ceiling, then followed that wire until it touched a truss frame, which then allowed the water to touch the ceiling board. If I recall it was about 8 feet from the antenna where the water signs of water was at.
Yes i should have mentioned the leak its down near the mattress. Something else i forgot to mention this leak is during storage not driven
Mountbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Nazareth
Posts: 4
Found it windows lol waking don't see any reason mn why😥
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20201127_105200228.jpg   IMG_20201127_105148120.jpg  
Mountbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.