Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #1

finding Fresh water on the road

Just curious where some of you folks find water fill location during travels in for example a city your not familiar with? I know dump stations have fresh water supplies. I have been able to convince the gas stations that I'm buying fuel from to let me fill up. Does WalMart for example allow or even have a water faucet location on side of their buildings?
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #2

Many PILOT/FLYING-J or LOVES have a place for RV's to fill.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #3

In some of the smaller cities. I have filled up at their public works or water department facilities. Sometimes it is free, sometime their is a pay station. Most of the time they also have an rv dump.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
In some of the smaller cities. I have filled up at their public works or water department facilities. Sometimes it is free, sometime their is a pay station. Most of the time they also have an rv dump.
A small town we like to go to in northern Colorado has a community well. There's plenty of room for your camper. There is no charge but there is a donation box. The water tastes great too.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Does WalMart for example allow or even have a water faucet location on side of their buildings?

In a pinch, I've taken several Jerry Cans into the Filtered Water Kiosk at Walmart. Chatted with the front desk area first - they were fine with it. Just pay by the gallon.

Took three trips, but we got the tanked filled.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #6

quite often I use camp site water

depending on what the site looks like, (well kept, no corrosion)
I will taste the water before we hook up, ( let it run for short time to flush hose ,etc)
then decide .
1oldmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #7

For what it's worth most gas stations/convenience stores outdoor faucets are security faucets, it takes a special "wrench" to operate. All home center stores sell them. They're on the shelf in the plumbing department. What I've done is park near the faucet, go in the store, pickup something to buy then while doing the purchase transaction ask the clerk if I can put some water in my RV. Then this part is very important. Before the clerk can answer I tell him or her that I have a faucet handle that fits his outdoor faucet. If the clerk hesitates I add that I'm already parked out of the way near the faucet. No one has ever said no. Now my set up has always been and on the unit we have now will be very user friendly. I'm ready to go, the hose is in the right place, the wrench is hanging near the hose. I even have a small pair of dedicated Channel lock pliers to snug up the connections. Faucet to hose to filters to tank. Oh, once I left the wrench in the faucet. I didn't go back for it.

Best to all!
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Mahatnmacoat;976023]For what it's worth most gas stations/convenience stores outdoor faucets are security faucets, it takes a special "wrench" to operate. All home center stores sell them. They're on the shelf in the plumbing department. What I've done is park near the faucet, go in the store, pickup something to buy then while doing the purchase transaction ask the clerk if I can put some water in my RV. Then this part is very important. Before the clerk can answer I tell him or her that I have a faucet handle that fits his outdoor faucet. If the clerk hesitates I add that I'm already parked out of the way near the faucet. No one has ever said no. Now my set up has always been and on the unit we have now will be very user friendly. I'm ready to go, the hose is in the right place, the wrench is hanging near the hose. I even have a small pair of dedicated Channel lock pliers to snug up the connections. Faucet to hose to filters to tank. Oh, once I left the wrench

Yes I find the odds at getting water from the site your on is to be spending money. great technique.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldmf View Post
depending on what the site looks like, (well kept, no corrosion)
I will taste the water before we hook up, ( let it run for short time to flush hose ,etc)
then decide .

Most time my water tank is emptied after trip and always refill it and if I'm headed to a waterless camp site I have to get a plan going on way over. Yea I never drink the camp water. Also bring my own via my home well water in refillable gallon containers.

O by the way if you happen to go camping on a particular opening weekend at that site run the water out your system thoroughly as I had an experience of a heavy dose chlorine sulfur smell for quite a while till cleared out
Old 06-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #10

One place we find useful... we google search the county fairgrounds, or places that have equestrian arena's or a park nearby... almost always they have water faucets available as long as you have enough hose to reach them.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #11

First, I determine if water is available at our destination. If it is, I travel dry.
Then I fill up at the destination, which is either a state park, a forest service park, or a for-profit RV park.
We do not use that water to drink. It's for washing dishes, flushing, showering.
Prior to departure, we fill a 2.5 gallon plastic jug at home. That's our drinking water. If it runs out, then I will use the park water spigot. I do not use a hose at that time. I run the water directly into the jug.
If we dry-camp, I fill up at home. But I don't like the extra weight the water adds. A safety issue.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post

... I know dump stations have fresh water supplies...
Do not, do not, do not, use the fresh water spigot at the RV dump unless it is far, far away from the dump spot.

I full timed for almost 2yrs, that means I have been to many dump stations, I watched too many people stick their sewer elbows and hoses physically on the fresh water spigot to wash them out.

Get your water someplace other than the sewer dump station.

BTW I've seen them do the same thing on the fresh water spigot at full hookup camp site.

I use a bleach water spray and scrub the water faucet at each camp site. No, I'm not a germaphob. I'm just grossed out that people would do such a thing.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #13

Forest Service dump stations usually have potable water available. Minimal fee.
Jml54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jml54 View Post
Forest Service dump stations usually have potable water available. Minimal fee.

What the post directly above your says-do not use the fresh water at a dump station to fill your tanks. Even if you don't drink it if it is contaminated, and it probably is, you are showering in it, and washing dishes with it. That water bib has been handled by just about everyone coming in there that dumped their black tank. I have seen way too many "accidents" at dump stations to even think of filling a fresh water tank there.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #15

I agree that you shouldn't use the freshwater at or near a dump station (maybe if the fresh water spigot is far enough away from the dump area, but even then I prefer other options). You can easily get yourself in deep doodoo stomach wise with even a little contamination, and that is no good especially when you are traveling.

I did have a thought for finding fresh water, just attach these to the front hood and keep a close eye on them whenever it is time for more water. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Dowsing.jpg  
Old 07-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
Do not, do not, do not, use the fresh water spigot at the RV dump unless it is far, far away from the dump spot.

I full timed for almost 2yrs, that means I have been to many dump stations, I watched too many people stick their sewer elbows and hoses physically on the fresh water spigot to wash them out.

Get your water someplace other than the sewer dump station.

BTW I've seen them do the same thing on the fresh water spigot at full hookup camp site.

I use a bleach water spray and scrub the water faucet at each camp site. No, I'm not a germaphob. I'm just grossed out that people would do such a thing.
you do realize if you premix bleach with water, after 24 hours it is no longer effective as a germacide
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
you do realize if you premix bleach with water, after 24 hours it is no longer effective as a germacide
True. Maybe I said that poorly. I mix a fresh batch when we arrive at our new campsite. Pour out excess afterwards, rinse the bottle and sprayer and put it away until needed again.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What the post directly above your says-do not use the fresh water at a dump station to fill your tanks. Even if you don't drink it if it is contaminated, and it probably is, you are showering in it, and washing dishes with it. That water bib has been handled by just about everyone coming in there that dumped their black tank. I have seen way too many "accidents" at dump stations to even think of filling a fresh water tank there.
We’ve used them for years without problem. The ones we use have a rinse spigot at the dump. The potable water located away from the dump area. You have to move your rig to use the potable water.
Jml54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #19

We carry a Zero water pitcher with us in the event we run out of bottled water for cooking coffee etc.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #20

We travel with 5-6 gallons in the fresh water tank for non-drinking. We have 3 one-gallon milk cartons in the shower tub for safe potable water. In well over 100 different camps we have never had a problem with bad water but occasionally minerally or slightly sulphury water.

We always thoroughly spray lysol on the spigot when we get to the site, then turn it on and let it run a little while smelling and looking for discoloration. If it's good, and it always has been, we hook up, run it through our filter, and figure it's good. Although we consider every water source contaminated and treat it that way, we have so far survived with no water contamination problems.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote