Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpoet View Post
If you don’t mind asking, what are you using for your Plex server? I have lots of DVD,s and would like to have them readily accessible at the house.
I have a friend that has a KDLINKS A400, with a removable hard drive.
What do you think is the best route for DVD storage and playback?
Thanks for taking the time to reply, and so quickly.
I bought a WD (western digital) NAS disc drive (network attached storage) that is 4T in size from Amazon. I loaded the PLEX Server on it. I rip my discs with the share-ware app called Handbrake on a Windows pc, it makes an “m4v” media file that I copy to the NAS. PLEX is share-ware too. A fire stick might support the PLEX client but I’m not sure. I use the ROKU on my TV.
After fiddling with it a bit I’ve gotten my arms pretty around it and find it pretty impressive. I keep a second copy of my media files on another disc (usb drive) as a backup.
The little NAS (it is small) sits at the house when we are home and travels with us on the road.
Any pc could be a PLEX server I suppose but I’ve pretty much stopped taking a computer with me when we’re trailering.
We used to pick a few disks from the home rack as we were packing, now we can take all of them.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #42

Thanks so much! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. It will go a long way in helping me organize my DVD,’s, as well as making my collection portable.
Thanks again.
Danpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #43

We stream PlaystationVue at home via fire stick so we take it with us in our RV. Just plug into HDMI port on TV, then connect to wifi via fire stick remote, entering wifi password & your good to go & you’ll be able to watch what you do at home.
With no wifi, the fire stick will not work!
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #44

We have put most of our favorite DVDs in an old CD wallet. It's a standard item to be packed EVERY time we go out. It's dead simple, requires no additional equipment or wifi signal, and the wallet is pretty portable (about the size of a full 2" 3-ring binder) and holds MANY DVDs.

If the park has cable available, DW makes me hook that up so she can watch food network. It's like she thinks she can't watch it at home (which she can), so she goes crazy with it.

I usually will aim our TV antenna too so we have access to local news stations. We even found a channel last time we were out that was showing old "Saved by the Bell" and "Bill Nye the Science Guy" episodes. It was neat to share those nuggets from our youth with our son.

All of this is why I don't worry about fussing with the Roku. It's available, and I can use it if I want, but so far I've not found a need.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #45

There’s so many different ways to skin this technological cat. Like someone else mentioned, over the years we’ve always grabbed 4 or 5 movies from the collection and brought those. This is mainly stuff we watch as a family with my son.

For myself, I’m a slave of the streaming services. I travel most of the year for work and that’s my cable. I’ll download the Netflix and Prime shows or movies I’m watching pre trip. Also, I’ll download a bunch of Spotify for tunes. If we want to watch the Netflix stuff or prime stuff on the TV, we’ll use one of the phones as a router and run those through a Firestick or Chromcast. I think an easier method, and I’ll try this next is to pickup a lightning to HDMI for my iPhone or iPad and run that directly to the TV. I’d previously done something similar off an android phone.

10-12 years ago I first used Handbrake to rip DVD’s. It was a tedious and long process. Has it improved since?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Viking View Post
We stream PlaystationVue at home via fire stick so we take it with us in our RV. Just plug into HDMI port on TV, then connect to wifi via fire stick remote, entering wifi password & your good to go & you’ll be able to watch what you do at home.
With no wifi, the fire stick will not work!
My experience with CG WiFi is that it’s poor to non-existent most times, to the point that I don’t count on having it. If I have a usable WiFi I can stream from amazon or netflix, if not we have our dvd collection and ota tv and maybe the CG cable.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #47

I have one at home cause It has to be with WIFI
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #48

Have a Roku stick and a short 2ft HDMI cable. Plug one end of the stick into the cable, the cable into the spare HDMI port on the TV. Then unplug the DVD player power cord, and plug the Roku stick's power adapter into that 110V outlet. Set up to use campground WiFi, usually requires a 2 to 3 Mbps connection to stream 720p video. The required 2 to 3 Mbps WiFi is usually only available at campgrounds closer to metropolitan areas. When camping in remote areas with limited campground WiFi and little or no cellular service, we watch a DVD or read books/magazines.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote