Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

First Big Trip

I've had my new Greyhawk out 5 times this Spring, all destinations within an hour or so. I expect to put my set up to the test on our July 4th trip, 6+ hours each way. We're heading out to Durango, CO which will take us over the demanding Wolf Creek pass. Since our last outing I've installed a base plate on my Wrangler Rubicon and will be towing it with the RSA Ready Brute (with the surge brake). Wife and I will have another couple with us so we'll be loaded to the hilt (no fresh water thankfully). Looking forward to seeing how she performs!
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Enjoy your trip. Do you plan on any 4 wheelin while you are in the Durango area? Many excellent trails just north in the Silverton and Ouray area. My wife and I are heading that way in a couple weeks with our 2015 Greyhawk 31FK pulling my modded 2000 Jeep Wrangler from Oklahoma City.
MCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

I don't think we will be hitting any trails this trip. My friends are bringing their street bikes so we will be riding the Million Dollar highway up to Quray and then maybe over to Telluride.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 06-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Good luck and fun on your trip JD! Keep us posted on how she does. Our first long trip is at the end of July to Zion.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #5

May I suggest you start out with at least a 1/3 tank of fresh water. Potty stops and I have experienced campgrounds that have suffered water outages from 1 hour to over a full day. i think you will find even the weight of a half a tank of fresh water is not a significant factor in motor home performance.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #6

Old Skipper, thanks for the advice I had planned to have enough water in the fresh tank to flush the toilet and wash hands on the way to our destination. I was not aware however that campgrounds sometimes have outages. I will go with your suggestion and add a little more just in case.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Either way, enjoy your trip. The Million Dollar Highway is quite the drive! Been out there many times over the years.
MCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSport View Post
I've had my new Greyhawk out 5 times this Spring, all destinations within an hour or so. I expect to put my set up to the test on our July 4th trip, 6+ hours each way. We're heading out to Durango, CO which will take us over the demanding Wolf Creek pass. Since our last outing I've installed a base plate on my Wrangler Rubicon and will be towing it with the RSA Ready Brute (with the surge brake). Wife and I will have another couple with us so we'll be loaded to the hilt (no fresh water thankfully). Looking forward to seeing how she performs!
Yep, we too are planing our first long trip... also to CO later next month. Gonna meet up with my brother/family and camp in and around Durango/Ouray area for a couple of weeks. We too are looking forward to seeing how our Greyhawk performs. And yes, we always keep at least 1/3 fresh water in tank when traveling.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #9

+1 on the water. We were at Pumphouse Campground yesterday, on a rafting trip, and were very displeased to see that the potable water supply was turned off.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

Just returned home from a 29 day round trip from FL to Oregon 6,542 miles. Not a thing went wrong on my 2016 Redhawk 29 XK.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #11

Wolfcreek pass is not a problem, 4 lanes, great new road, and the grades are rather modest, 6% I think. Where are you staying in Durango?

I would ride north from Durango to Silverton then onto Ouray, then head SW to Telluride and continue to finish the loop. From Ouray back to Durango is a nice relatively flat ride. Most interesting part is from Silverton to Ouray. Be sure to take some time in both cities.

We also enjoy the Bar D cowboy show in Durango.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #12

We are doing the very same triip in August. Durango for a few days, then Ouray for a few. Looking forward to a week in the high altitudes. Will let you all know how the Jeep trails are doing. Some of them are still closed due to ice or snow. One of the reasons we chose August. Will also be taking the Durango-Silverton steam railway. Looking forward to the trip.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #13

Thats awesome. I'm leaving Tuesday headed to Telluride then onto Jackson to pick up friends then on to Pinedale, Wy for a backpacking trip. I'm in a Redhawks 26xd and this will be my first real long trip. A little nervous but excited too!
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #14

I'm happy to say that the rig performed quite well on our trip to Durango. Wolf Creek Pass was a challenge but I was able to maintain 35 mph through the toughest grades near the summit. With a full load in the camper and towing a Jeep Wrangler, I'm pleased with how she performed. I left my friend pulling a 5er with his Powerstroke and stayed with my other buddy pulling a 5er (16lbs) with his Cummins. I had some friends drive the jeep back and going over the pass without a toad was incredibly easy. I have never been a Ford fan but I have to say I am impressed with the V10. Heading to Buena Vista this weekend pulling the Jeep, then off on an 800+ mile trip to ND the following week. One other thing, I have been very unhappy with the tankless water heater (mostly boondocking), but we had 4 people in the camper for 4 days and I have to say it worked quite well using city water with good pressure. As long as I have an unlimited water supply and decent pressure it works like a champ.
Colorado Springs, CO