Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

First big trip in Seneca 37rb

We picked up our new 2015 Seneca 37rb on a Thursday and left Friday morning for Colorado. We were reading manuals all the way out trying to figure things out. We just got back after 3000 miles and 10 days in the Seneca. Love the way the Freightliner drives and handles. Much better than my class A gas burner. Performance was good. I set the cruise at 68 to 70 on the interstate and it maintained the speed pretty good. We would drop to 65 on hills. Not to bad. Raton Pass in NM was our first big challenge. I set the cruise at 65 at the bottom and it did ok. The last steep grade we dropped to 45, but I wasn't the only one in the slow lane. Actually passed a class a and an 18 wheeler. Gas mileage ranged from a low of about 6mpg to a high of 9mpg. I was running the generator most of this time as well. Overall pleased with the performance. Never felt like it was struggling to keep up.

Now for the issues
The big slide didn't want to slide in on its own. I had to go outside and push it.
Had issues with the Bigfoot leveler a fully retracting. Kept beeping.
Slide topper wouldn't retract
Fridge wouldn't stay lit on LP. Kept switching to dc while boondocking
Could not get the country fill to work
Several trim pieces loose on the inside
The saddle tanks are a pain in the ass

Still overall pleased with the unit. Just need to work out some bugs.
seneca37rb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #2

Sorry about the problems but they don't sound major. Had you run the slides in and out a few times before your trip? We're about to take of on a trip and I ran the slides in and out while doing some work and had no problems.

I don't understand the fridge going to DC. It runs on AC or propane. Assume you did a typo. If it switched while you were running the generator, that's to be expected. AC is first choice but should switch back to propane once power source is removed. I was told the fridge would not run off the inverter but in my case that would be preferred while on the road.

Your fuel consumption is lower than I would have hoped. My class A did better than that driving in NM, CO, WY, etc. Did you put the trans in OD for the flatter sections? I could understand the mileage if you were going 68-70 in 5th gear.
Also, diesel will foam up big time and shut off prematurely when you run the truck lane nozzles at other than the lowest flow. Messes with your mpg calculations.

Agree with you on the saddle tanks. I'm always too far to one side or the other for both hoses to reach.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #3

Not sure about the fridge. It kept giving us a "lo dc" message. I assumed that meant it was running on dc. I will have to get the manual out and read some more.
I kept the transmission in overdrive. We were running the generator most of the time so that would skew the mileage a bit. My gas burner only got 6 to 7 on the interstate.
We didn't get a chance to run the slide before we left. It just acted like it didn't have enough power to pull it self in. If I pushed on it at first to help it get started it was ok.
Very familiar with diesel foam. Per other comments on here I filled the passenger tank first then moved to the driver tank. That seemed to get them full, however I don't think the gage is very accurate. I was going down to 1/4 on the gage before stopping. Most I ever put in was 36 gallons. The dual tanks pretty much limit you to truck stops if you want to get them full.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

seneca37rb15, boondocking and "lo dc" tells me that your house batteries are lower than the fridge likes. I suspect that shortly after "lo dc" your AGS kicks in and that's when the "lo dc" goes away. You were always running on propane. Rats! I wanted to run on AC when going down the highway.

When my fuel gauge read 1/4 it only took 35 gals. It registered full until I drove a few miles then dropped to 3/4. Suspecting that the tanks do not equalize until you get a little shaking. I fueled from both sides simultaneously so will try the passenger side first thingey next time.

The slide instructions say don't heavily load them (heavily not defined). Maybe you had too much weight there. Lots of beverages? Anybody sitting in the dinette? Even so would find that disappointing as class A's slides moved no matter what.

Headwinds always made my mileage worse than hills.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #5

We had similar problem with the fridge not running on propane. Turned out it was air in the propane line. There is a procedure in the owner's manual that fixed it, since no further problems.

After 5,000 miles our mileage varies from 9.3 to 10.3 depending on wind, towing, etc. We've gotten used to the saddle tanks and now only fill at truck stops; filling passenger side first and relying on mileage to determine when to fill rather than the gauge.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post

After 5,000 miles our mileage varies from 9.3 to 10.3 depending on wind, towing, etc. We've gotten used to the saddle tanks and now only fill at truck stops; filling passenger side first and relying on mileage to determine when to fill rather than the gauge.
How many miles are you running on a tank before refueling?
We would get down to a quarter of a tank on the gauge, but never put more that 38 gallons in.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #7

No more than 300-350 mainly because in my family someone has to pee every 150 miles...
Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
No more than 300-350 mainly because in my family someone has to pee every 150 miles...
Oh, you get that far?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #9

Just some information on the big slide. Make sure you are plugged in or have your generator on when using the main slide. Same applies to the Big Foot leveling system, should be plugged in or have generator on. I also get the lodc warning on my fridge. Don't know why, as my batteries are charged and the fridge appears to be working just fine.
I have the same problem with the fuel gauge on my 2015 Seneca HJ. From what I have read on this forum, it is a common complaint. I drove almost 100 miles on E one trip and when I filled up, it only took 51 gallons. I usually fill up between 350-400 miles and it usually takes no more than 42-45 gallons, depending on driving conditions. I go by miles driven as apposed to the gauge - don't like doing it that way but the gauge is not accurate.
fiorilsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #10

We are always on shore power or generator power when I pull the big slide in. It's more like the slide motor just doesn't have enough power to pull it in. It runs into problems as it starts to lift up and in. If I go outside and push to get it over that hump it's fine from there. The bedroom slide shoots in like a rocket. It's scheduled to go back to the dealer next week. It will stay there until they resolve the problem.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #11

The levelers may be low on fluid. It doesn't take much to cause it to start beeping. We had that on our 08 SENECA especially when it was cold since the fluid was slow in returning to the tank. I would recommend that you switch over to trans fluid (spec'd in the owners manual, or on BF's web site) if you plan on doing much cold weather camping.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #12

Stopped Bigfoot false alarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca37rb15 View Post
Had issues with the Bigfoot leveler a fully retracting. Kept beeping.
So, were they retracting and the system alarm beeped, or were they not visibly retracting completely? We had a problem with ours where they would all completely retract, but one of the limit switches was not being compressed tightly enough. After a few bumps the alarm would start beeping.

I called Bigfoot and they suggested putting rubber vacuum line caps over the limit switches which I did. Have had no false alarms since.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
So, were they retracting and the system alarm beeped, or were they not visibly retracting completely? We had a problem with ours where they would all completely retract, but one of the limit switches was not being compressed tightly enough. After a few bumps the alarm would start beeping.

I called Bigfoot and they suggested putting rubber vacuum line caps over the limit switches which I did. Have had no false alarms since.
Sounds like the same issue you had. They were visibly retracted. I talked the dealer and he said use the emergency retract. After I did that the beeping stopped.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca37rb15 View Post
Sounds like the same issue you had. They were visibly retracted. I talked the dealer and he said use the emergency retract. After I did that the beeping stopped.
Re-retracting ours would also stop the beeping, for a trip or two. After the third false alarm, I stopped at an auto parts store for the vacuum caps. Putting them on was much easier than trying to reposition the limit switch assemblies. Have not had a false alarm in the 1800 miles since.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote