Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

First leak

We are getting ridiculous pounding rains in south Florida. I checked for leaks in new Seneca and sure enough I found water coming on on bottom of the closed kitchen slide right by the door. It seems to be following the bottom edge of slide and coming in a couple of inches before forming a small puddle on floor. It's not a ton of water but I would say a few ounces. The gasket looks ok.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

Don't be discouraged. This is the first leak among what will be many over the years.

If it's just following an edge and coming in, I agree it sounds like a gasket somewhere - even tho' you said it looks OK.

Maybe when the rain stops (and if the dealer can't help) there are these "Pressure Test" procedures that could help. Essentially seal up the RV tight, put positive air pressure inside then use soapy water on the outside to find the leak.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

When the rain stops, look at making a small drip edge, by adding a small piece of material (folded over eternabond tape?) to the bottom edge of the slideout right between the outside wall and the gasket, as water does not flow up hill. This should encourage the water to drip down, verses roll under the slideout, and find weak spot in the gasket.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #4

Since water travels everywhere but uphill go outside after it dries out. Start spraying below the leak on the outside with someone watching with a bright flashlight inside. Give it up to a minute then have outside person move up a bit. Keep doing that.

When you identify where it is getting in ( maybe way higher than seen inside ) try to figure out if you have a seal failure/gap and how to fix it.

My front window leaked at the bottom. Buttttt - the water was coming in at a top corner, traveling inside and coming out the bottom.

Your leak could actually be from somewhere other than the seal but traveling to where you see it via an inside wall void.

good luck!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

We had a similar leak on the street side bedroom slide. A silicone bead on the exterior frame on the slide wall solved it and may be your best bet.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #6

Welcome to the family of leaks

I too had several leaks when it rained, whether the bedroom slide was in or out I had a leak. By the time you drive back to the dealer in Orlando and drop your unit off fir several weeks; you caulk the slide covers outside from top to bottom. Then caulk the bottom and top of the sainted aluminum guide rails. I also put a slight pitch towards the slide out when I know it's going to rain. Good luck, and don't get discouraged we have all been their, you'll just get more pissed off because you've paid all this money and the unit isn't perfect.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice. I will trouble shoot when or if the rain ever stops.

Actually I am thinking of the trading the Seneca in on an ARC. LOL
Old 06-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #8

We are still getting pounded with rain. I opened the awning about a foot and the there is no more water intrusion. It occurs to me that since the kitchen slide does not have a slide cover, leaving the awning open a bit, weather and winds permitting, will solve that no cover problem.

If this rain ever stops I will trouble shoot where the water is coming from.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
If this rain ever stops I will trouble shoot where the water is coming from.

So it's been raining for 3 days?

37 to go!

pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #10

We have been here for 28 years and have not seen flooding like this, even after our hurricanes

Thankfully our house and RV pad is up high, or at least for now. They are calling for rain until a week from Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3896.jpg   IMG_3895.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #11

You should have upgraded and bought that 4x4 Seneca in the factory lot at jayco. Could have added pontoons and been ready for anything. Today is first warm dry day in weeks up here. Spring rain is only supposed to be April but it has lasted until today. Best of luck down there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
We are getting ridiculous pounding rains in south Florida. I checked for leaks in new Seneca and sure enough I found water coming on on bottom of the closed kitchen slide right by the door. It seems to be following the bottom edge of slide and coming in a couple of inches before forming a small puddle on floor. It's not a ton of water but I would say a few ounces. The gasket looks ok.
Mark, I am in the same boat(pun intended). I also live in So. Fla the rains have not let up. I have been checking my brand new 2018 Grayhawk everyday for leaks. So far so good from what I can see. As you know more rain on the way. This is getting biblical. Good luck with finding and fixing that leak.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Mark, I am in the same boat(pun intended). I also live in So. Fla the rains have not let up. I have been checking my brand new 2018 Grayhawk everyday for leaks. So far so good from what I can see. As you know more rain on the way. This is getting biblical. Good luck with finding and fixing that leak.

Thanks. At least the leak is visible as soon as I open the door. I am sure it will be a relatively easy fix, I hope anyway. Stay dry.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #14

My 37TS had the same leak, Jayco added a second bulb seal around the top of the kitchen slide. Didn't leak with slide out, only with it in. Go figure.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #15

Mark,
Did you ever find the cause of this leak? I hope it was something simple.
On my original inspection of the unit the kitchen slide rubber seal did not work correctly, they fixed this prior to picking up the unit. I also had them reseal around the slide picture frame, it looked like it was missing some caulk in one area.

You must be getting excited for the first big trip coming up.

Paul
Old 06-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #16

we here in central and south Texas would love to take some of that rain off your hands
Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Mark,
Did you ever find the cause of this leak? I hope it was something simple.
On my original inspection of the unit the kitchen slide rubber seal did not work correctly, they fixed this prior to picking up the unit. I also had them reseal around the slide picture frame, it looked like it was missing some caulk in one area.

You must be getting excited for the first big trip coming up.

Paul
Yes I did. One of the seals did not flip to the out position. Once I pushed it out it stopped leaking, knock on wood. I lined all the slide seals with Formula 303 on both sides and I think that will help. Part of our set up routine will be to check all seals are properly deployed.

What's going on with yours? Are you bonding?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #18

I wish I was bonding. I got home Monday morning and had to head out for work. Backed the rig in, plugged in and left for the week. I get home tomorrow to clean it out from the last trip and get ready to go on Saturday for a couple of days at a local army corp campground. Still have to install the surge protector and haven't even sanitized the fresh water tank yet. Lots to do tomorrow. At least my beer should be cold when I get there tomorrow.

Glad it was something simple on the leak.

This site is great for finding out about tricks and hacks to make this thing a little less intimidating.

Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk