Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

First long road trip: what to know?

headed west for 3 week road trip in a few weeks. Just curious what all I should be aware of or know or do before I head out? This will be my first real trip. Driving Redhawk XD and very excited but nervous. Spare tire or no??
thanks
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #2

If you can take a shorter trip where you use all of the systems so you get to know them before the big trip.

Check your tire pressure or get a TPMS.
If you are staying where there is cell phone coverage, then you may not need a spare tire, but get ready for long wait and big bill if you need help.
carry some spare fluids, Oil, Distilled water.
Rubber roof or whatever kind of roof repair kit for your rig. yes I already have a patch on my roof, Long story...
Tool kit.
Gloves, it is summer time and stuff gets toasty.
Spare fuses
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Don't try and carry all your food. Pack staples and spices. Buy local. Take some bottled water just in case the water stinks where you happen to be that day.

We wash clothes once a week. This prevents carrying so many clothes.

If you have a small family don't cook a large roast or such. It gets old eating it for a week.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Air compressor and tire plugging kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene20 View Post
headed west for 3 week road trip in a few weeks. Just curious what all I should be aware of or know or do before I head out? This will be my first real trip. Driving Redhawk XD and very excited but nervous. Spare tire or no??
thanks
I have a air compressor and tire plugging kit in all my vehicles. Saved me on more than one vehicle (Goldwing motorcycle, my car and my truck) and on more than one occasion.

Please post on how your trip goes!
RobertLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Get in the habit of checking your tire pressure regularly, preferably first thing before setting out when they are cold and have a small compressor that is capable of adjusting them if needed. Another good investment is a Laser infrared temperature gauge for monitoring hub temps.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #6

First make sure to have lots of fun and stop and smell the roses in-route. I have never owned a MH, but have rented them. Often there are lots of complaints regarding alignment issues, so I would recommend getting a front end alignment.

We go grocery shopping about once or twice a week. Laundry, we find a CG that has laundry. I have found doing laundry around the lunch hour or REALLY late is the least busiest times.

In regards on nights without reservations and you want to be at a particular location, make sure to arrive early. For example, if you want to overnight at the Badlands NP, it is a first come first severed. When we rolled in, the visitor sight seeing lots were packed. We went directly to get a campsite many where filled, but we still had a good selection. We setup, had an early dinner, then when sightseeing. By then almost all the sites were filled and lots of people were being turned away. When we went out and about almost every parking lot and road was empty, making for a very enjoyable experience.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

I'll echo the "a short overnighter first" if possible to work the kinks out. Make sure you've tested everything. The AC, and the Furnace, generator, the water heater, stove, etc.

I know plenty of people who'll say they'll never travel without a spare tire. But in our RV, I'll travel with Roadside Assistance, a small compressor, bottle jack and a plug kit. There's no way I'd enjoy changing out a rear on a dually. I'll call for help and just wait.

Another recommendation is to stop after the first hundred miles or so and walk around. I did, and thankfully noticed that the water heater cover had popped open and was hanging by a thread.

Every morning, check tire pressures.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

We've taken a couple of 52-day trips and many 3-weekers. By the way, we have fun every time! We take frozen foods, because they don't spoil. We make breakfast burritos and freeze them in aluminum foil and throw them frozen into the oven. We make gravy, freeze it, and take frozen biscuits. We take toaster waffles. We make homemade soup and freeze it. Always bread/peanut butter/jelly. Hard-boiled eggs. Cheese sticks. Carrot sticks. Also take natural fruit cups and dehydrated fruit, vs fresh fruit that rots within days. We always think about what will be simple to make while on the road. We take just enough clothes that they don't become a burden - do laundry twice a week. Like others, all the necessary tools just in case and a good Roadside Assistance policy. Walmart, when it's in a good neighborhood, and Cracker Barrel are good sleeping alternatives every now and then. Have a blast!!!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #9

Thanks

Thanks yall for all the information. I have been on a couple of other trips and hopefully have the kinks worked out like issues in the coach. I have been in it and turned everything on with gas or electric to make sure it all is working. So far so good. We will definitely stop and smell the roses cause that's the intention. My sister has never been west and she is soooo excited. I go regularly and can't wait to make the road trip. I'm actually meeting friends in Wyoming for a week of backpacking upon their arrival. As for the compressor, what do yall recommend and are tire plugs specific to RV tires? I think that's a great idea. Yall keep sending info as I love hearing every ones ideas. Thanks and have a great day!!
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
As for the compressor, what do yall recommend and are tire plugs specific to RV tires?
I think you should consider plugging and inflating a tire as a last resort - calling Roadside Assistance should be first.

It takes a lot of ooooomph to inflate an RV tire. That said, when it comes to compressors, the good 12V ones are expensive.

I think the Viair models get the best reviews, but your pushing almost $200 for a small, 12V compressor. If you have a generator, or some other way to make 120V AC electric, then a small "pancake compressor" from Home Depot (or Sears or Harbor Freight) would be $75ish and faster than the 12V Viair.

As for plugs, there are Truck Tire Plug kits, but I just grabbed a kit from Walmart.

Again, my personal opinion is that Roadside Assistance, AAA, etc should be the first call.

Only if you're in the middle of LordKnowsWhere with no cell reception and surrounded by angry Wildebeest, would I plug a tire. And then it would be to limp back into someplace where I could make a call.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #11

You mentioned Wyoming, which perked me up. I know everyone goes to Yellowstone (which last year had its highest tourist attendance ever - this year will be more). We live near Flaming Gorge Reservoir, and one of the most beautiful places on earth is called Sheep Creek Geological Area. You won't be sorry you went there. It's in Ashley National Forest and is actually in Utah but right over the border. The rocks are breathtaking, and the Uinta Mountains are awesome. It's in a relatively isolated area with lots of dry camping options available to you. If you have just a day to delve from the beaten path, try it!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #12

Quote:
thanks
Our first experience with the Greyhawk 29MV was in Camp Driveway. We tried two days & nights at boondocking. Then recharged the battery, and three days and nights at camping (in the driveway). We learned a lot about what we had missing. The advantage to our experience was the cool month of March.

Our first road experience was seven days in Kerrville, TX in April. The trip went on without a hitch.....

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #13

If it's a Diesel then carry spare filters. Sometimes finding filters for your TV can be a PITA in remote locations. Also agree on fluids but would add tranny fluid to the list that too can be hard to locate for specific types. It's not just ATF any longer. Same with coolants.

Other than that agree with above but would add a jack, gloves and something to lay on. Definitely a spare tire. If it's a Sunday and you loose one it could be Tuesday before your moving again. Just my 2 cents.

I subscribe to the Boy Scout motto of always be prepared. It has served me well over the years and gotten me out of some jams. Nothing like being stuck and having to rely on someone else 100%.

Odds are you won't need it, but you will enjoy your trip more knowing you got it covered. You can't plan for it all, but carrying the basics to limp along helps.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #14

I took an extra 5 gallons of fuel in a can along when we went to California and it came in handy a few times! Sometimes gas stations are far apart!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #15

We did our first outing in late April...yes, in the rain. We only went a couple of days and never got outside. The weather was cold...near freezing. But, we were able to work out the details. Made a couple of calls to our dealership service center just to make sure we were on target. We had no issues, it was so much fun we didn't care it was raining. We have only been out four times but glad we took that first trip- short distance, close to my brother so we could hang with him if anything went wrong. Just make sure you don't guess on anything. After that windy, rainy trip, we had the tires checked. Truly made a difference to correct those once we had it loaded. We also learned that it drove better and made no difference in gas mileage when we filled the fresh water tank ⅔ full. I am not one to give advice as we have never done this before but as newbies, we are loving it. Like us, you will learn as you go. Good Luck!!!!!!!

CDandCJandthedog
CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Site Team

An old guy once gave me a great tip. He said to always carry a cardboard box, broken down flat to use to lie or kneel on just in case. It has come in handy on many occasions.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #17

Yes, we already do that...we haul our car. The only way to go!
CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
An old guy once gave me a great tip. He said to always carry a cardboard box, broken down flat to use to lie or kneel on just in case. It has come in handy on many occasions.
When and if you get older get a 4 pack of minicell workshop flooring. It fits together like a puzzle.

We have a stack of them just in case....

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote