Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #1

First Trip with 23XM

Well I finally picked up the rig( London Ontario) last Thursday and am now on a long road trip back home (Calgary via Denver)Hung out at the dealers for 2 days getting some adjustments and fixes. Had an issue with the shower not draining, replaced the Hepvo trap for a new one, appeared to be working, after I drained the grey water tank. Then headed west. Got to Michigan City and was staying at local campground. Noticed my shower drain was not draining well. Was close to Jayco Factory so I turned around and headed there on a Sunday. Couldn't call ahead so I thought I would take my chances. Stayed at Eby's Pines Campground, great campground, very quiet.
Got to Jayco service early next AM and introduced myself to Ron, he said they usually need notice but someone didn't show up so he would try and get me in. I got bumped by another priority so had to come back next day.They got it in and fixed some minor things and then explained that I had a venting issue with the grey water tank. They started to install a new vent into the roof, but ran out of day.
So back again this AM (6:30am!) and they got it in right away and are working on it as I type.
So what do I think so far?
I think Jayco build a good unit, but they really need to improve their quality control and make at least one design change on the 23xm.
Their service folks are amazing and are doing everything they can to get me on the road again.
I upgraded to the Bilstein shocks and am going to replace both sway bars with Hellwigs as well as a new steering damper.
It handles nicely on the highway but still gets some semi suck and wind deflection.
The layout works well for two people, and it's easy to park and get around in traffic.
It has been frustrating for my daughter and I but I would rather spend the time now to get the rig running right.
Hopefully we are on the road today.
Happy Trails
Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
There definitely has to be some quality control in the RV industry. But as long the RV mfg's don't feel it in their pocket it will not happen. The production line can't be stopped for minor details. All the warranty work after delivery shouldn't be needed.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #3

Redhawk 23XM

Well, we love ours also, and can't say enough about the great folks at the factory service center (nice waiting room, also)!

To of the things that we did while waiting were eating at the Das Dutchman Essenhaus, and taking the factory tour.

We also had the issue with the shower drain, and the factory added a second vent pipe. Ron and his crew are great, and they took care of a bunch of small stuff for us. By the way, there is also a great KOA a couple of miles down the road, but last time we just stayed plugged in there at the factory.

Enjoy your rig, and your trip, and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

We picked up our 2016 in Michigan last week and have run 1500 miles so far. Flawless in all ways. Very happy with handling and parking. The layout really lends itself well to smaller parking areas etc. The rear bed and mattress is very comfortable for us as well.
Adding a TV to the bedroom first. Jayco sent us the build plan drawing for the bathroom wall so we know where the backing mount is. Excellent customer service from them! Got an average of 10.5 MPG for first trip so far. A lot of interstate and wind, so I am pleased with that on a new engine/coach. Travel safe!
cschiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

The 23 was a great unit... we went up to the 26 because we carry bikes and the rear slide just wasn't working for that. We had to take off the bikes and the carrier before we could put the slide out. More of a pain than we wanted to deal with.

As I had mentioned previously, the factory took care of the problem with the shower drain... it was a design flaw in the 23XM. Adding the extra vent took care of the problem.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 04-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Single,

What rsolved the shower drain issue? Ous seems to be heading that way.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #7

Drain issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiller View Post
Single,

What rsolved the shower drain issue? Ous seems to be heading that way.
Thanks
The Jayco factory service group is aware of the problem, and will add a second vent pipe.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

Can you describe what they did for your shower drain or attach a photo. Same issue here. Grey tank not venting air as water enters when drycamping.
Thanks!!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #9

Shower drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiller View Post
Can you describe what they did for your shower drain or attach a photo. Same issue here. Grey tank not venting air as water enters when drycamping.
Thanks!!
It was a MAJOR job at the factory! They removed both the black and gray tanks, and the shower pan. They re-did the plumbing under the unit and ran another vent pipe to the other side of the unit, and up inside the wall, and through the roof.

Worked fine after that, but wow, what a job!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 04-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #10

That makes sense. Thanks for the info! Very Helpful.