Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #1

First trip with TOAD

Hi all,
I am a relative newbie here.

My wife and I are taking our first week long trip with our 2016 Jayco Melbourne 24k pulling a 2016 Jeep Patriot manual.
We have a new Blue Ox tow system. Never set it up, but videoed the service person that installed it. We will do a trial setup Saturday morning as we leave Sunday morning.

Question#1.
The Jeep mechanic said no need to put key to acc position. It clearly does not release the steering wheel as the wheels turn without it in the acc position. He said just put it out of gear and go. It that correct? I assume the Blue Ox gets its power from the RV, is that correct?

Question #2.
Would you think it would be a safe practice to turn your water off at the street?

As alway, very appreciative of the helpful info.

Thanks,

David7
David7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:32 AM   #2

When you purchased you Blue Ox did you get a tow bar, base plate kit, safety cables, wiring harness, supplemental braking system, and possibly a high-low adapter? Our set up is really easy, and takes about 10-15 minutes taking your time. Good luck

Question#1.

Don't know about a Jeep, but our 2011 Ford Escape, you do have to have the key in the accessory mode.

Question #2.

Speaking of you residence, we have a meter cut-off valve, and a cut-off valve at the house itself. We use the cut-off at the house.
JK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:49 AM   #3

My tow system, breaking, has an on off switch in my Honda Pilot that turns the system on, runs off the battery. My system is permanently installed, not a suitcase system
The ignition, for auto trans cars, is to unlock the steering wheel only, not power the breaking system

Not a Heep Owner so no clue if ACC needs to be on for steering wheel to release, that's upto you
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
CAG

Your Jeep owners manual should have the tow set up procedure. Mine does. I am not familiar with the Patriot but if you have four wheel drive the transfer case needs to be in neutral and there is a short process to do that. The Wrangler does not need the ignition to be on when towing. Again check your manual.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David7 View Post
I assume the Blue Ox gets its power from the RV, is that correct?
What kind of supplemental brake system do you have? Is it permanent or installed for each use? If it plugs into a 12V outlet, does that outlet have power with the key off?
Old 11-13-2021, 03:34 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses.

The braking system is a Blue Ox Patriot 3.
It was set up by an RV repair place here in town. Everything is very "clean" regarding the way they put it in. We will be setting it up for the first time today as we leave Sunday afternoon.

The tech suggested locking pins for the tow bar where it hooks into the RV. Sounds logical, I am trying to locate the right size ect.

I will cut off water at the street as the house shut off is a 35 foot belly crawl under the house. I haven't had to crawl for about 8 years since I quit drinking.

I just want to say that "you people" and RVers in general are amazingly helpful. I visit many forums, as I am a hobbyist musician and studio owner as well as a full time Physical Therapist, and there is alway a few who want to use the forum to elevate themselves, talk down to newbies and pontificate. No so here.
As they say, we all didn't know the answer at some point.

Much thanks for taking the time.

David7
Old 11-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David7 View Post
The braking system is a Blue Ox Patriot 3.
It was set up by an RV repair place here in town. Everything is very "clean" regarding the way they put it in.
OK, that's the same portable system that I have. You just need to be sure that whichever 12V power outlet you will plug in to has power with the key off. If the normal outlet (e.g. cigarette lighter) doesn't, then the installer may have wired a separate utility outlet direct to the battery.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:56 AM   #8

Yes, they put power down by the drivers right leg. Real convenient and out of the way. We went several blocks with me riding in the TOAD passenger seat just to see how well it was working. I remembered we had forgotten to connect the Blue Tooth controller and it was braking off of inertia.....I think. We plugged it up and the brakes were much smoother. I tell you what, sitting in the passenger seat watching the steering wheel rotate as we went around corners was pretty weird. Only went a few blocks as I am the curious type. My wife did not understand why I wanted to see the braking system work. Hats off to North Gate RV service in Hixson TN, they did a great job, nice and clean with install.