Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #1

First vacation

Discovered that Jayco only put one steel braided tire extender on our RV so we locally had the other 3 put on but later discovered they were rubber. Day 2 a trucker signaled to us that something was wrong. Pulled over but couldn't find what was wrong. Day 5 we discovered what was wrong. We noticed handling was terrible but thought it was the wind. It wasn't. We had an inside tire flat all that time. The extender was rubbing against tire and wore through and air leaked out. We had to have someone come and replace the 3 tire extenders with steel braided ones which Jayco should have done in the first place. Fortuately the tire was fine and only needed air. We thank God the outer tire didn't blow out or it would have been disasterous. Please remember to push in on each tire each time. Just looking at them, we didn't see the problem for 4 days. What a lesson we learned.
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
Fortuately the tire was fine and only needed air. We thank God the outer tire didn't blow out or it would have been disasterous. Please remember to push in on each tire each time. Just looking at them, we didn't see the problem for 4 days. What a lesson we learned.
My suggestion is get in the habit of checking tire pressures often! Invest in a good gauge and do it every morning!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #3

What is a tire extender?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerdan17 View Post
What is a tire extender?
I think it refers to a valve extension.

They are very lucky that the tire was not destroyed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #5

Yes valve extender and yes we we're fortunate not to be killed. We're thanking God for his protection

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #6

We had a steel braided extender wear through. It was rubbing against the wheel but I noticed the wear before it got through the underlying plastic.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #7

I found we had a flat tire while our 29MV was parked in the storage lot. When the tire guy arrived, even before he removed the outer wheel to get to the flat, he told me the reason the tire went flat was because of the extenders. He removed the tire, checked it thoroughly for nails, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong. It was the extender leaking. He removed both extenders, which immediately went in the trash, and I purchased a good quality 13" air pressure gauge with a V head. Works great and I check the pressure constantly.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
Discovered that Jayco only put one steel braided tire extender on our RV so we locally had the other 3 put on but later discovered they were rubber. Day 2 a trucker signaled to us that something was wrong. Pulled over but couldn't find what was wrong. Day 5 we discovered what was wrong. We noticed handling was terrible but thought it was the wind. It wasn't. We had an inside tire flat all that time. The extender was rubbing against tire and wore through and air leaked out. We had to have someone come and replace the 3 tire extenders with steel braided ones which Jayco should have done in the first place. Fortuately the tire was fine and only needed air. We thank God the outer tire didn't blow out or it would have been disasterous. Please remember to push in on each tire each time. Just looking at them, we didn't see the problem for 4 days. What a lesson we learned.
They may of been stolen also..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #9

I had nothing but trouble with those braided valve extensions, took it to tire shop had steel extended valve stems installed best thing I did. I had one braided extender do almost the same thing almost wore a hole thru extension, so I said to myself no more even had the steel holder break once
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #10

I check pressure every morning and thump the tires (cheap rubber mallet) at every stop. I guess I should replace the valve extensions. I have the two braided in the back. Interestingly, the solid ones in the front are the only ones I had trouble with....the valve would stick slightly open. I cap them now (belt+suspenders)
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:42 AM   #11

Just curious, but will TPMS sensors fit on those extenders?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote