Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiller View Post
We looked at the larger class C units and decided to go Redhawk. At that lenght you have maxed the chassis and have to watch for the tail drag you mentioned. We drove the 26 the Logans have and that is fantastic. If I went larger that the 26 I would go Precept. Best of luck on the updates/repairs.

Thanks for your input. I also had the helpers adjusted so the rear end sits a little higher now. That should help with the tail drag.

tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

First Week with new 2016 31DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Jayco expects the camber to be about 2 degrees off on the finished Motorhome. Get the alignment done, and send Jayco a copy of the receipt, and they will reimburse you.

We're having ours done this week.

Did I read somewhere where they suggested having your "normal" travel weight( full gas, tanks filled, other misc. cargo) in your RedHawk/Greyhawk when you have it aligned?
Edit-- I thought you had a RedHawk 31? The misalignment is probably more pronounced on the 31's than the 26's.

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Did I read somewhere where they suggested having your "normal" travel weight( full gas, tanks filled, other misc. cargo) in your RedHawk/Greyhawk when you have it aligned?
Edit-- I thought you had a RedHawk 31? The misalignment is probably more pronounced on the 31's than the 26's.
Yes, I had mine loaded very close to "normal" travel weight when I had it aligned.
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
LOL, you'll find that one of the first things that many new owners do is get rid of the "thankless" water heater. Our dealer does a brisk business in replacing them with normal gas/electric water heaters. They are so bad that Jayco will pay to replace them as a customer good will gesture.

That's one of the reasons we got the Redhawk, so we didn't have to deal with the annowying stuff like the tank-less water heater, in-dash navigation system, side-view cameras, light bulbs that can't be changed out, 500 pounds of levelers, etc.
One man's trash is another man's treasure, isn't that what they say?

On some model Greyhawks I too find the available CCC to be a deal breaker, however some models have enough to make me feel pretty comfortable. Mine has around ~2100 pounds; which given the added stuff you mention above is pretty healthy as far as we were concerned.

Personally I wouldn't be without the levelers as they also have the added benefit of making the coach more solid while deployed (almost no bounce). And I'm one of the few who actually finds the tankless system to be a blessing (once you get it dialed in, which does take some fiddling when you arrive at your destination). Of course, we don't boondock; for those that do the tankless system is a complete waste I agree. The only thing I'd change w/ the tankless; I wish they built in a few second delay for it to ignite. Often times the kids will wash their hands and pull the handle on the faucet straight up before swinging it to the cold side. The tankless system needlessly cycles when that happens which I DO find rather annoying.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #15

I love all the features of the Greyhawk EXCEPT the "thankless" water heater. We do a lot of boondocking and it fails miserably without hookups. Good news is, the replacement water heater is $150 less than I can sell the used Girard tankless for.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #16

I have a 2011 31DS and also find the side cameras to be useless, the side mirrors do an excellent job, and without delay.
The tankless water heater was a stupid idea for a motorhome in so many ways. It wastes water and propane, and grey tank volume, and is a pain to use. And costs more besides. What was the reason???
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #17

Unlimited hot water while showering w/ full hookups. Which is how I camp, so it works out for me quite well. Grey tank and fresh water supplies are non-issues for me b/c I always camp with full hookups.

I've said it a bunch of times, the system sucks for boondockers.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Designers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
I have a 2011 31DS and also find the side cameras to be useless, the side mirrors do an excellent job, and without delay.
The tankless water heater was a stupid idea for a motorhome in so many ways. It wastes water and propane, and grey tank volume, and is a pain to use. And costs more besides. What was the reason???

Well, consider how they pick motorhome designers... They find several folks who have never camped before, give them an ice chest full of beer & many crayons, and a clean white wall, then....

Oh well, you get the picture....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Unlimited hot water while showering w/ full hookups. Which is how I camp, so it works out for me quite well. Grey tank and fresh water supplies are non-issues for me b/c I always camp with full hookups.

I've said it a bunch of times, the system sucks for boondockers.
We also almost always have full hook ups too. Only boondocked once, not for my wife.
The two of us have never run out of hot water using the standard 6-gallon tank on 'hook-up free' electric energy.
And if for some reason I thought we needed even more hot water in a hurry I can simply add the propane to the electric.
Plus we have a tank of hot water for the road when we leave the campground.

Is the tankless water heater fired-up with both electric and propane?