Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #1

Fiver to Class C advice

New to the forum, only second post.

I would like to move away from our current FW and get a Greyhawk. My wife and I looked at one and she liked it. I have been trying to talk her into a MH for years. I do not want a DP.
We spend 5 months in the FW, setting for 3 and travelling for 2. My fear is space, or lack of in a Class C. She really likes to cook and the amount of counter space and small fridge may be a deal breaker. It would sure be nice to drive around a toad instead of an F350. But as most of you know once set up a fifth wheel is hard to beat.

So I am hoping some of you have made the switch and are willing to share your experiences. I did read most of Rocks threads regarding his new class c. We put about 6000 miles per year on the FW.
Thanks
Carl
Yuma310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #2

In the past we have had a Class C, 2 Class A's and a Fifth wheel. Then came many years that we did not have a R.V. We often said if we ever purchased another R.V. it would definitely be a Class C. So we did several months ago purchase a Class C Greyhawk 29 MV. As you no any R.V. has it's downfalls. The hooking up then unhooking, manurving around in tight camp sights was a PITA with the Fifth wheel. The Class C fit our needs more so than any of the others. Good luck on your hunt...
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:16 PM   #3

Just did what you are thinking about. Two years ago went out west for two months to all the Fed parks. Finding campgrounds and driving the LB Dually on park roads were no fun. We have a mountain camp on a river and got the big FW for that. Now we want to do way more short and a long trip to Alaska. The kitchen counter in my 30z is small but the layout is great. Just the two of us so the table can also be a kitchen counter. The only thing we will miss is washer dryer. See my sig.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:24 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuma310 View Post
New to the forum, only second post.

I would like to move away from our current FW and get a Greyhawk. My wife and I looked at one and she liked it. I have been trying to talk her into a MH for years. I do not want a DP.
We spend 5 months in the FW, setting for 3 and travelling for 2. My fear is space, or lack of in a Class C. She really likes to cook and the amount of counter space and small fridge may be a deal breaker. It would sure be nice to drive around a toad instead of an F350. But as most of you know once set up a fifth wheel is hard to beat.

So I am hoping some of you have made the switch and are willing to share your experiences. I did read most of Rocks threads regarding his new class c. We put about 6000 miles per year on the FW.
Thanks
Carl

There is a long story here and I will try to compress it.
We moved from a 37 foot toy hauler to a class C. It was a good move at the time but what we have found as we have gotten older, is that the C is limited in space, RVing is not for the weak at heart and the space, whether it is a C, Super C, or A gets small, especially when you have a 3900 sq Ft home and spend the summer in an RV.

Summers at our 8100 foot summer location was great, but the C still got smaller, especially as summers get hotter, and the inside A/C is grinding away because it is hot outside. We did not like it.

Bottom line is we have now leased a cabin/home in the same little town, with 1.5 acres of land and 1100 feet of space. We are moving from RV to something else but still enjoying the same trails, back country, fishing, exploring as before and not being cramped into 200 sq ft of RV.
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:37 PM   #5

Thanks for your thoughts. I realize everyone's situation is different and only we will be able to decide, but it is still good to hear other's opinions.
Complete disclosure, we are currently in a 35' solitude with 3 slides, center island , residential fridge and large basement. I watched my wife make dinner this evening and she had all the counter space used up. The idea of storing stuff in the toad is a good one. I thought the larger Greyhawks came with 2 AC's, one of which was a heat pump. We have two now and winter in Yuma AZ by the end of March they are both running none stop. When it is that hot it is time to go.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:23 AM   #6

I thought the same about AC units. One AC you get a 15k heat pump. Since the class C is 30 amp when you get two units that are 13.5k non heat pump. But our 30Z has the fireplace. The power management will
Let you run two AC units but not with microwave or water heater. It will drop one during those uses. Also the 30Z has the most outside storage. We plan on using forward bunk for storage tubs and our gladiator covered bed. Two to three months should not be an issue.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #7

I thought if you got the 2 A.C.'s on the Greyhawk they were 11k units, however if you got the single A.C. it was 15 k with the heat pump. Am I right of wrong?
Old 12-09-2023, 01:40 PM   #8

Glad you guys are here to help. We have a heat pump in our rear AC, but we also have a fireplace/heater which we use a lot. Better than burning up our LP.

Storage above the bunk is a good idea. Is there storage under the bed and booth? Our 05 Eagle had storage under the booth seating, but you had to pull the cushions and board off to access.

Mr Rock I have read that it is easy to overload a Class C, but then I can put the heavy stuff in the toad. I am guessing your Pinnacle and our Solitude are similar, I really appreciate your feedback,

No Jayco dealers in Yuma, but we get up to Phoenix every now and then, and will be checking out the 30Z's. Plus there is the countless dealers we pass on our way back to MI.
Carl
Old 12-09-2023, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldeere View Post
I thought if you got the 2 A.C.'s on the Greyhawk they were 11k units, however if you got the single A.C. it was 15 k with the heat pump. Am I right of wrong?
This is what Jayco Motorized told me. I can not find a thing on line or in my Coleman Manuel about BtU size. The units are Coleman Mark Q. They are also high profile units. Since I ordered mine I called factory to see if they would add another solar panel. I also wanted to see if they would leave the main unit 15k heat pump ( so I could add micro easy start). With 30 amp I could see them being 11k units.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #10

Yuma310
No storage under the bedroom slide. The back underneath is a full basement. Door on each side and a bigger door under the rear bedroom slide. We like that you can stop and get to everything with the slides closed. The 30Z is the closest floor plan to a FW. It is nice having the fireplace and 50 inch tv across from the theater seats. Most floor plans the TV is up by the forward overhead bed. We had the forward bath in FW which was hugh.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Mr Rock I have read that it is easy to overload a Class C
The CCC on the larger Jayco Class C's is pitifully small.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:22 PM   #12

Stopped by a dealership that had an 18 model 29MV. For almost 7 years old it was pretty nice. It had a skylight over the dinette, nice touch. We were impressed with the storage, both in and out. It was built prior to Jayco going crazy with seatbelts and child seat hooks in the booth, so there was some limited storage in the booth seats. Good to have, with a family, but we would prefer the storage. Our thoughts were that it might work, so we will be trying to find new models of either the Jayco or Entegra C's. The CCC was 1780, DW, dog and I only account for 300, loading should not be a problem if the new ones are similar.
They had an East to West bunk model there as well. Some of the things I liked, such as the wasted valves and connection was enclosed like a class A. Also a light to shine down while working on the back side of the coach. It had about 200 more pounds of CCC and great exterior storage. I wish they would have had a new Jayco to compare. The build quality of the EtoW didn't wow me. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:40 PM   #13

One of the major reasons I chose the 29 MV is you don't have to open the slides in order to use the Camper. Either 2018 or 2019 went to the hinge down compartment doors, very good change. 2019 was the last year for the pull out counter top. The digital door lock did go away in 2019....
Old 12-11-2023, 07:30 PM   #14

Same with the 30Z you can get everywhere slides in. You have more counter room but I love the tv, fireplace theater seat section. Gonna get a cutting board stove topper for more counter.
Old 12-12-2023, 02:49 PM   #15

We sold our Ford F-350 and fifth wheel. The Ford was a 2019 and the Montana fifth wheel was a 2021. We downsized to a 2022 Entegra 30z. The reason was that we moved permanently to our snowbird destination and did not need the large fifth wheel and truck anymore. The 30z has great outside storage. In fact, I like the outside storage on the 30z better than the large fifth wheel. The inside space is not near as nice as the fifth wheel, but we are not living in it for months at a time. My TOAD is a 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid. The RV is easy to drive, back up, and maneuver in cramped areas. It is very nice having the Ford Escape to drive around once we get to our destination. It is also nice to be able to use the bathroom, get a drink, or a snack while driving. Overall, I am happy with our decision. It is easier than the truck and fifth wheel.
Morris E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:58 PM   #16

Late 2022 Jayco/Entegra upgraded the 11.5 dual AC units to dual 13.5 AC units. I have the dual 13.5 AC units on my Entegra. After installing an RV airflow system the dual 13.5 AC system does an excellent job of cooling the RV in hot weather ( I live in sunny/hot Arizona.
Morris E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:13 PM   #17

All what u guys are saying about down sizing are the same for us. Looking really forward to our new 30Z and trip to Alaska.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I realize everyone's situation is different and only we will be able to decide, but it is still good to hear other's opinions.
Complete disclosure, we are currently in a 35' solitude with 3 slides, center island , residential fridge and large basement. I watched my wife make dinner this evening and she had all the counter space used up. The idea of storing stuff in the toad is a good one. I thought the larger Greyhawks came with 2 AC's, one of which was a heat pump. We have two now and winter in Yuma AZ by the end of March they are both running none stop. When it is that hot it is time to go.
Traveled in a small C and owned a large C. I think your going to miss that Solitude. I see the set up and take down as a push. Negatives on the C's were power (both gas), storage!!!, access to utiilities (many under a slide). Positives on the C's, being able to make a sandwitch on the road and general comfort on rest stops. So far on the FW, have no negatives. The 350 with the 10 speed trans is great. Any difference in mpg/diesel $ is a small price. Oh there is one negative from towing the Forrester in the C and the 350. The 350 long bed is a beast to park - anywhere. Good luck
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:26 PM   #19

fiver to class C advice

We made the switch 2 yrs ago from a 41 foot Redwood FW to a 2021 Jayco 29MVP. We don't stay in it for more than 2 weeks at a time but travel accross the country to visit our kids. We ordered the larger fridge and the 2 AC units and didn't realize that we wouldn't get the heat pump. The first year was difficult getting used to the much smaller space but traveling was much easier.
We are now used to it and like it's convenience. One issue is the flooring is poor quality "wall paper" thin. It has discolored and separated in several spots that I've glued down. There are plusses and minuses to both RV's so I guess it remains an individual preference.
Good luck with you decision.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:30 PM   #20

I have a Fifth Wheel and F350 Super cab 4WD short bed with a sliding hitch. The FW has everything my wife and I need. The bathroom is accessible when stopped without opening any slides. The passenger seat reclines far back if one of us gets tired. We keep a small 12 volt cooler in the back seat. The truck is very comfortable and drives great with and without the trailer. The backup camera is great for parallel parking. A similar truck with Crew cab and long bed would be over 2’ longer and much harder to find parking. The Pullrite sliding hitch works great.
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote