Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #1

Florida to Chicago

So we are traveling back home to Chicago today. We are stopping outside of Nashville tonight because the overnight temps are just below freezing. My concern is when we get close to home. The temps are supposed to be in the single digits. Do I need to be concerned with the water system until I get home to add the antifreeze? Should I dump all the water from the system when we stop tonight? First time I have ever had one of our campers in this type of weather. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #2

Not sure what it takes to winterize a Seneca but if it were me I would do it before I got to Nashville. Temps up here the next 3-4 days are going to be brutally cold and an unprotected water system will not survive it. Safe travels.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #3

Our was an emergency but still totally agree with winterizing tonight. We traveled from Harlingen TX to Chicago last year (death in the family) on the 7th of Feb. Stopped in Victoria TX the first day and winterized in a Wal-Mart parking lot (check in the life experience box). Antifreeze was $2.75gal. Bottle water was $250gal (for traveling and flushing) Cleared the shelf (eight bottles). Poured them into a tote, pick-up tube to the pump connection, drained the FW tank, antifreeze in every tank, and drain, don't forget the outside shower. Red bull and 5hr we made it there in 31hrs. Never want to rush like that again....

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

I agree with others, winterize before you leave Nashville area. Returning from Florida I usually stop at a walmart or truck stop and do it.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #5

Winterize tonight. We usually do that in Virginia

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

Definitely need to winterize now!

It will take about 5 gall antifreeze from Walmart. There are pipes such as fridge ice maker that are very exposed. Without supplemental heat to the wet bay, I was only about 4-5 degrees above ambient. Easy to do with onboard pump. Additionally, I don't use LP when traveling. There are risks too numerable to list.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
It will take about 5 gall antifreeze from Walmart. There are pipes such as fridge ice maker that are very exposed. Without supplemental heat to the wet bay, I was only about 4-5 degrees above ambient. Easy to do with onboard pump. Additionally, I don't use LP when traveling. There are risks too numerable to list.
What risks regarding LP are you thinking about ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #8

Risks of LP running

Perhaps some theoretical and some remote.

Some states have laws against running propane appliances while traveling in RVs; this is especially true in tunnels.

There is now likely an open flam running when refilling that you need to remember to turn off; I try to limit the vast amount of things I need to remember when driving the RV.

If you are in an accident and a propane line is severed it could cause a fire, or worse. Remember that open flame we talked about from the running furnace.

The heat from the exhaust of the Of the furnace and be forced close to the side of the RV damaging paint. I have seen this happen on a colleagues RV.

Ok, maybe not that many; lol.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

Ended up winterizing it just outside of Atlanta. Thanks for the good advice. Happy New Year everyone!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2017, 08:49 PM   #10

Just a thought for people "having" to go north for whatever reason. For the last 4 years we have gone home to southern Illinois in the Winter. We have left the camper, whether Seneca or trailer in southern Alabama, plugged in and safe. When towing a trailer, we took the truck home. Now driving the Seneca, we take the toad home. Right now its a Traverse.

Left southern Illinois last Wednesday at 5 above. 10 hours and we were back at the Seneca. Always have a "Plan B", never know what might happen to any of us.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

Another thing to think about that I just ran into. I filled up in Maryland on my way home. I never bothered to check until later, but it was B5. That doesn’t play well with teens or below. I topped off with our normal winter blend and a couple of bottles of anti gel but once it hit single digits, I can’t get it to start. I won’t get my class A started until spring now. My advice, get just enough fuel to get home and fill up once there with the good stuff.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #12

Florida to Chicago

I start to add Howes treatment in November and just keep adding it. The fuel from the pump gels up in my pickup so I started to add howes last year and so far no problem down to -10. As long as you add the required amount howes guarantees no gel and backs it up with a free winter tow.

If you need to you can add diesel 911 treatment this Product can work on the fuel
Iines but you will have to remove fuel filter and fill that with a mix of fuel and 911. Kind of a pain but doable if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I start to add Howes treatment in November and just keep adding it. The fuel from the pump gels up in my pickup so I started to add howes last year and so far no problem down to -10. As long as you add the required amount howes guarantees no gel and backs it up with a free winter tow.

If you need to you can add diesel 911 treatment this Product can work on the fuel
Iines but you will have to remove fuel filter and fill that with a mix of fuel and 911. Kind of a pain but doable if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m just hoping for a break in the weather. It would be nice to have it moved right now but I don’t need it to be moved. I’d rather not add anything else to my diesel tank unless I have to. If it becomes a necessity, I’ll be breaking out the salamander, 911 etc. and having my way with it. I’ve already got new filters for a complete fluid/filter change on the class A since it is new to me.

The point I want to make is that us northerners are used to a certain type of fuel and may not be aware that other regions of the country get a different blend than what we are accustomed to. My diesel pickup had no issues starting up this week (winter blend) and the RV with B5 is gelled up.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #14

We did our last fill-up about 150 miles from home. It's sitting in storage now until it warms up a bit, then it goes to the dealer for warranty work.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #15

I did this exact thing 2 days ago. Driving from Daytona FL to Ohio, stopped just south of Atlanta and winterized. No problem. We tried to overnight in a KY rest area but it was too cold, furnace couldn't keep up.
Only thing I would have done differently would be to pack antifreeze with me. A dealership outside of Daytona gouged me at $14 per gallon!
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #16

$14/Gallon!!

Spanks, tell us all who that dealer is so we can never ever stop there!! Blue box store has for $3.50.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Spanks, tell us all who that dealer is so we can never ever stop there!! Blue box store has for $3.50.
I don't want to bad mouth anyone, it was new years eve, the dealership was short staffed and the parts department closed. The general manager opened the parts department and found the antifreeze. I could have questioned his pricing but he was operating outside of his area of expertise and could have easily just sent me down the road. I was not happy to pay the elevated price but I was happy to have the antifreeze so I could get on the road to home.
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote