Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchr1 View Post
Camper_Bob,
Excuse my ignorance because I am a newbie, but you don't need to be hauling anything to use the T/H ?
In a MH, you're ALWAYS "hauling" something.

Most of these rigs are running right at GVWR, so you're always "hauling" something. Plenty to justify using T/H mode. Even more so if you have a toad along.

There is no "requirement" that you be hauling anything in general to use T/H anyway. All it really does is change the transmission behavior slightly. Shift points are slightly different, and engine braking (downshifts) is a little more aggressive. If you're NOT hauling/towing (like in the case of an empty pickup truck), then you might get a little worse fuel economy.

Also, NOT using T/H is probably not going to hurt anything. I know when I read the manual for my truck (Ram 2500) it stated that T/H was not necessary, and that the engine and transmission were already set up for heavy hauling/towing. It said go ahead and use it if you observed rising temps or whatever other "special" circumstances you deemed it necessary. I always used T/H in my truck when I was towing my trailer. Not so much when I was hauling though...

In some vehicles, the T/H mode "locks out" some/all of the overdrive gears to encourage torque converter "lockup", and thus reduce heat in the transmission fluid. I don't think that's the case in the Ford E-450 chassis, but I can't verify that for sure since I don't have a way to know what gear the transmission is in without counting the shifts (yet). I know that was the case in my truck though; it would lock out 6th gear (hence the degradation in fuel economy when going empty with T/H engaged).

T/H in a motorhome IMO should be the "default" condition. The trans should run cooler, the more aggressive engine braking should save the brakes somewhat, and the transmission shift points are more desirable to keep everything running cool and in the power band.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #62

Camper_Bob,
Thank you so much for that info. I assume you can still run cruise control simaltaneously
Finchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #63

You can run TH mode and cruise control at the same time. Not running TH mode will put a little extra wear on your breaks.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #64

Johnny Northland
Thank you so much
Old 06-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchr1 View Post
Camper_Bob,
Thank you so much for that info. I assume you can still run cruise control simaltaneously
Yup. T/H has no affect on cruise except it behaves a little differently.

In T/H while on cruise, it will try to hold the gear for longer, thus bleeding off a bit more speed before shifting. Like if you're approaching a grade, if you're not in T/H, the trans will downshift pretty quick (still won't be able to hold speed, but it'll drop out of overdrive before then dropping 2 more gears to try to hold the set speed). The drop in speed tolerance is a little tighter on cruise without T/H engaged. I mitigate this by nudging the throttle as I enter a small grade to get a downshift of one gear, and the rig will usually pull the grade fine. If it cant, it'll drop another gear, and that's fine, it is what it is. If I let it do what it wants, it bleeds off 5 mph, then downshift 2 gears, and scream all the way up the grade, never able to make up the "lost" speed. In most cases, this is unnecessary if I manage the throttle a little while on cruise.

Cruise will cut out as mentioned previously if it is unable to hold or accelerate up to the set speed (like if you're pulling a long, steep grade), but that's not unique to this chassis or the condition of T/H mode.

There are a few threads around the forum that talk about using cruise control as well as T/H. I encourage you to peruse those discussions. Then try it in your own rig and find out what works best to keep you and your equipment happy and safe.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #66

Camper_Bob,
That's what I've been doing and it sounds like a plan now that I have some info. Thanks
Old 06-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #67

All this stuff with JRide Plus

Love the forum and it has saved my fifth point of contact many a times. But searching on suspension and handling threads I have not come across upgrades in regard to the JRide Plus on our 30XP. Now I did go ahead and put on RoadMaster Stabilizer and that was money well spent. Now I want to put on SumoSprings but have come across a few threads on ETrailer that relate they are NOT compatible with the Helwig sway bar used in the JRide Plus system. So that is my first question for anyone with the JRide Plus on their rig. Did you do anything to the rear? Camper_Bob has me wanting to look at the helper springs and measure their distance (rig is out with renters right now). But I am pretty much sold on getting front helpers. Also I am pretty sure it is FOMOCO front sway bar and want to replace that.

So in the end anybody with JRide Plus got input?

TIA and safe travels!
JIM
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #68

Aatw

Buttocks = 4th point of contact
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_WA View Post
Love the forum and it has saved my fifth point of contact many a times. But searching on suspension and handling threads I have not come across upgrades in regard to the JRide Plus on our 30XP. Now I did go ahead and put on RoadMaster Stabilizer and that was money well spent. Now I want to put on SumoSprings but have come across a few threads on ETrailer that relate they are NOT compatible with the Helwig sway bar used in the JRide Plus system. So that is my first question for anyone with the JRide Plus on their rig. Did you do anything to the rear? Camper_Bob has me wanting to look at the helper springs and measure their distance (rig is out with renters right now). But I am pretty much sold on getting front helpers. Also I am pretty sure it is FOMOCO front sway bar and want to replace that.

TIA and safe travels!
JIM

I have a 2018 Greyhawk with the j-ride plus.The rear Sumo sprigs won't fit your RV. I installed the front Sumo springs and the Heilwig front sway bar. Both improved handling noticeably. If you get the front heilwig sway bar, it's fairly easy to install yourself, just be careful not to over tighten the bolts. They strip easily. There are a number of posts on this issue.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #70

Which Sumos did you get? Appreciate the feedback.

JIM
Old 06-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #71

Quote:
Which Sumos did you get? Appreciate the feedback.

JIM

I installed the black ones they have the highest load carrying capacity. They go on very easy. Take the old frame bumps off and just screw the new Sumo's in. Piece of pie.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #72

Thanks! Ordered.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:50 AM   #73

The airborne way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
Buttocks = 4th point of contact
I can see the vast majority of airborne guys relying on their 4th point for sitting and thinking. But us CID guys rely more on the 4th. DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #74

Quote:

TIA and safe travels!

JIM
U simply add a rear track barz thats about all u can add, maybe air bags but not sure

I have j ride plus, added the supersteer rear track bar... Its awesome in the sana anna winds
J2048b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #75

Timbrens on rear of Jayco 26Y

I am looking at these Timbrens.......

They replace the axle bump stops so I think they will fit with Ride Plus?

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Jayco/Greyhawk+Motorhome/2019/TFERSD.html?VehicleID=2019112861118165

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #76

If you get them please post the outcome. I think that Helwig set up will not allow but very interested.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #77

Will do. I have call into Etrailer

Old 06-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #78

Here is the answer I got from eTrailer regarding the Timbrens:

I would be happy to help you determine if the Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System # TFERSD you were looking at for your 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 26Y will work with the Hellwig Helper Springs.

Based on the information I can find the Hellwig Helper Springs install in the leaf spring stack and do not interfere with the factory bump stop but I recommend checking if your 26Y has a factory bump stop. As long as it does the # TFERSD will still but up perfectly.

I included a video of the # TFERSD for your to take a look at.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #79

I did install sumo spring on the rear last year and track bar recently. I think worth every penny. Really improves the handling of my RV.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8242.jpg   IMG_8241.jpg   IMG_8240.jpg   IMG_8239.jpg  
Old 06-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #80

Do you have Hellwig springs installed?
Do you have the part# you purchased?
Did you use a spacer if so what one?

Thanks, Just want to double-check my research.