Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #81

Do you mean hellwig helper spring? I think it came with greyhawk jride. Here is the sumospring part. I didn't add the spacer.
Attached Thumbnails
2021-06-24_08-34-56.png  
Old 06-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
Do you mean Hellwig helper spring? I think it came with greyhawk jride. Here is the sumospring part. I didn't add the spacer.
Yes, the helper springs, my Jayride + came with the springs.
Thanks for the help, likely this is my next upgrade..

Whoa, they are 1/2 the price of the Timbrens!!! I owe ya!

BTW the front sumos and Helwig sway bar made a big difference for me.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #83

Did you have any installation problems?
This customer review from amazon suggests a fit problem?
https://amzn.to/3wVurMb

"This product - the rear set was an entirely different matter. Frame mount flanges were too wide to slide into the frame rail channel section exposed after the removal of the factory bump stops. I don't know if there is anything unique to my vehicle but the listing claims a direct bolt-up fit. Definitely not the case. I checked fit and proceeded to grind material away on the spring mount vertical flange sections to get them down to a width to fit (at least 1/8"). I also added a larger radius to the end that mated up to the frame rail inner radius to get the spring mounting surface parallel to the axle line. Not fun - as I was doing this on my back, rather than on a lift. I did not want to grind too much material away so I repeatedly checked the fit and removed the brackets after the removal of some material - I suspect at least 7 or 8 times on the first side. Based on what I learned from the first side (passenger) the driver side went faster. I may update the review once I have some driving time under my belt."

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #84

I also did front sumospring, roadmaster sway bar and stablizer. We went roadtrip 2 weeks ago from sacramento to Destin, FL in 3 days. just a smooth ride but the road is really bad on I-10.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8013.jpg   IMG_8012.jpg  
Old 06-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #85

Regarding the rear sumospring installation, I used 4 tons floor jack plus 2 of 4x4 wood to raise the rear of rv high enough then you have big gap to install the rear sumospring. The trackbar installation is not that bad with 2 ppl. I will take pictures this weekend if you want.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #86

I used this Doc for reference to install the trackbar which is better than the installation doc come with it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SuperSteer Trac Bar Upgrade _ MotorHome install.pdf (1.24 MB, 41 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #87

I went and spent the money on the air bags. I would, and will do it again in my next rig!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #88

Hello, We also have the Greyhawk Presige.. Unless something has changed( ours is 2016) I believe you already have the Helwig bars installed from the factory. perhaps just a steering stabilizer will help. I replaced the crap Michelin tires at 3500 miles and put cooper tires on and much of my road problems went away from a handling perspective.. much better tires and surely changed the feel of the coach overall. We have had 'A's in the past and this is our first C and Love it .. ! All the best
expoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:14 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
I installed the black ones they have the highest load carrying capacity. They go on very easy. Take the old frame bumps off and just screw the new Sumo's in. Piece of pie.
Installed mine before DW took a long trip. I could only screw the drivers side in. No access to attach nylock. You?
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #90

The stabilizer helps a lot as does an alignment and proper tire inflation. The track bar and sway bars I bought are literally twice as thick, heavy, and solid as what came on it . I assume this is good.
I'm thinking of Sumo helper springs after reading about them here. I'm completely new to this.
I will say that after the sway and track bars were in and the steering tightened it is a new beast and now I don't need to point and pray as one person put it.
This is a great site.
By the way, I used my Dawg surge protector and it has already saved me once
Finchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:27 PM   #91

Here is pix of track bar.
Attached Thumbnails
5D087ED9-9C07-4CA8-9BEF-AC6E90E37231.jpg   93559F38-45C5-4373-9622-91440E493B7F.jpg   5AD5BD9C-6F64-4C30-946E-80DE7149C6A6.jpg  
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #92

Perfection is the enemy of good enough

I installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizing on my 2021 30z last weekend. I test drove it and it made a huge improvement, calming down the steering. Then I thought, I should add some blue Loctite to the bolts holding the side bracket. Brilliant.

So today, I removed the three bolts and added a drop of Loctite and reinstalled. However, the upper bolt of the three, came out stiffly and went back in stiffly. Once I had the bolt seated and removed the socket it was clear it's cross-threaded. Laying under the RV I couldn't see the bolt was going in at an angle and since it came out and went back in with the same effort, I couldn't tell.

Not sure what to do. Leave the bolt as-is, it's snugged up and not stripped, however cross-threaded. Or try to remove the bolt (it has blue Loctite) and reinstall? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANCamper View Post
I installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizing on my 2021 30z last weekend. I test drove it and it made a huge improvement, calming down the steering. Then I thought, I should add some blue Loctite to the bolts holding the side bracket. Brilliant.

So today, I removed the three bolts and added a drop of Loctite and reinstalled. However, the upper bolt of the three, came out stiffly and went back in stiffly. Once I had the bolt seated and removed the socket it was clear it's cross-threaded. Laying under the RV I couldn't see the bolt was going in at an angle and since it came out and went back in with the same effort, I couldn't tell.

Not sure what to do. Leave the bolt as-is, it's snugged up and not stripped, however cross-threaded. Or try to remove the bolt (it has blue Loctite) and reinstall? Any advice is appreciated.

A picture could help, I would replace the bolt if it is simply and nut and bolt, on the other hand if the bolt isn't under a lot of stress and not a bolt and nut combo, I would likely leave it as is. If it is located in a high potential for stress area, then I would replace the bolt and if needed tap the hole with a tap and perhaps move up to the next size bolt. Not sure though on yours, but again a picture could help with what I would suggest. ~CA
Old 07-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #94

It's the upper bolt, and the nut is welded to the frame. The picture is rotated unfortunately, but you can see a slight angle on the gold colored bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
20210703_165854.jpg  
NYCANCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #95

Here's a better shot of the bracket and you can see the upper bolt is at a slight angle. It's frustrating, I don't think I ever cross-threaded a bolt before and this tweaks my OCD. The factory bolts weren't overly tight and didn't have a lock washer, so I guess I'll leave it as-is and just keep an eye on it.
Attached Thumbnails
bracket.jpg  
Old 07-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANCamper View Post
Here's a better shot of the bracket and you can see the upper bolt is at a slight angle. It's frustrating, I don't think I ever cross-threaded a bolt before and this tweaks my OCD. The factory bolts weren't overly tight and didn't have a lock washer, so I guess I'll leave it as-is and just keep an eye on it.
I would leave it as is, as well and keep an eye on it, if it doesn't back out then it could last forever.

I may would consider straight line marking it with a toothpick and a bit of paint or nail polish just to easily see if it ever was to loosen any, and if it doesn't do that early on then I wouldn't worry with it and just check it every now and then as I suspect changing out the nut would be a big hassle, same as with re-tapping it. If it did loosen up I would first try tapping it the same size then if needed the next size larger. ~CA
Old 07-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #97

I agree. I'll check it several times a year, and with the Loctite I applied, it probably won't loosen. I appreciate the input. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #98

Add me to the list. Took the Greyhawk to Safe T Plus in Georgia. I now have the front sway bar, steering stabilizer, and track bar. I already had the Sumosprings front and back. It makes all the difference in the world. If you want the best handling on a class c this is it.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:27 AM   #99

@Camper Bob, I'm taking my 2019 Greyhawk 30X in for the +5.5 Caster alignment this morning, but want to better understand the Hellwig Helper Spring adjustment. Any link to install instructions or a YouTube video you'd recommend? TIA
Wisconfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconfun View Post
@Camper Bob, I'm taking my 2019 Greyhawk 30X in for the +5.5 Caster alignment this morning, but want to better understand the Hellwig Helper Spring adjustment. Any link to install instructions or a YouTube video you'd recommend? TIA
It's been FOREVER since I looked up those instructions. When I looked, the "maximum" adjustment was to put the bottom of the U-bolt saddle something like 1/2" above the Ford spring pack?

MANY others have contacted Hellwig directly, and their technicians state the "correct" adjustment to be 2".

Personally, I went right in between those.

I'm curious on your rig; what else have you done for handling? Will the caster adjustment be your first attempt?

If so, I'm curious how much affect just that one adjustment has. I've been trying to find people who have done one thing at a time so we can get a better idea of the "incremental" improvements for each item.

Personally, I did a bunch of stuff at once, so I have no idea how much each item helped by itself. I can say that the items I did indeed helped quite a lot.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote