Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Just throwing this out there as a possible issue. I adjusted my helwigs last winter and now the driver side leaf spring bolt behind the wheels was digging into my black tank. Someone reported this issue a few years ago, but it wasn't an issue for me until I adjusted my helwigs. So, if you have adjusted the helwigs, check this link and look at that area for any rubbing that could cause a hole.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ole-98359.html
I cut the blot end off with a metal cutting wheel. Problem solved
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #162

Suspension upgrades for my 2023 Redhawk?

Hi,

I've been having issues with my 2023 Redhawk swaying when flat-towing towing my toad (Jeep Gladiator). It also does take a lot of concentration to keep it centered on the road even without towing anything.

I've read through various threads on this forum regarding suspension upgrades and, after looking under my Redhawk, I can tell it already has:
- Front and rear sway bars
- Steering stabilizer

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer front bump stop, sway bar, steering stabilizer.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	89174
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer rear bump stop and sway bar.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	89175

I suspect these are part of Jayco's JRide package.

However, there are no "Sumo" springs (front or rear), just the regular bump stops Ford installs.

In an effort to reduce the sway I was thinking that I would go additive instead of replacing existing components. So I'm thinking of installing:
- Rear trac bar (Supersteer)
- Sumos front and rear

And then seeing how things feel after that. Might also get an alignment done as well.

Does this sound like a good approach?
dprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:02 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprus View Post
Hi,

I've been having issues with my 2023 Redhawk swaying when flat-towing towing my toad (Jeep Gladiator). It also does take a lot of concentration to keep it centered on the road even without towing anything.

I've read through various threads on this forum regarding suspension upgrades and, after looking under my Redhawk, I can tell it already has:
- Front and rear sway bars
- Steering stabilizer

Attachment 89174
Attachment 89175

I suspect these are part of Jayco's JRide package.

However, there are no "Sumo" springs (front or rear), just the regular bump stops Ford installs.

In an effort to reduce the sway I was thinking that I would go additive instead of replacing existing components. So I'm thinking of installing:
- Rear trac bar (Supersteer)
- Sumos front and rear

And then seeing how things feel after that. Might also get an alignment done as well.

Does this sound like a good approach?
100% ! Do track bar first if you want, I found it to be immediate results! Everything else was an improvement, but that track bar was the key!

Please Let us know your results.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:12 AM   #164

The Safe-T-Plus front end stabilizer is much more robust than the OEM stabilizer. The OEM unit does basically nothing. Try the the Safe-T-Plus. It made a huge difference. I can drive on the interstates one handed now. Check out the reviews and You Tubes and you will see. Also, the front end ligament.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:08 AM   #165

Trac bar, heavy front sway bar, steering stabilizer
Crf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 12:17 PM   #166

Safe t plus stabilizer for sure!!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:23 AM   #167

I installed the SafeTplus as my class C would wander like driving an old Jeep. Since the installation I have had no problems with wandering like I did before.
MEILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:09 PM   #168

Hello,
I haven’t been on here in a while and I just thought I would give an update on handling. We took a round trip from Houston to San Francisco several weeks ago. I had an alignment done at a heavy truck service center before we left. They had to add adjustable adapters so they could get the caster and camber set right. They really did a good job because now you can almost let the Jayco drive itself. Even being passed by a 18 wheeler there’s not much sway at all. We were flat towing our 2022 Jeep Cherokee 4XE too. That seemed to be the best thing I have done to improve the handling.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:52 PM   #169

Good to hear thanks for the update
flat towing 2005 nissan frontier 4x4, 6 speed.
fenderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 03:56 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
Hello,
I haven’t been on here in a while and I just thought I would give an update on handling. We took a round trip from Houston to San Francisco several weeks ago. I had an alignment done at a heavy truck service center before we left. They had to add adjustable adapters so they could get the caster and camber set right. They really did a good job because now you can almost let the Jayco drive itself. Even being passed by a 18 wheeler there’s not much sway at all. We were flat towing our 2022 Jeep Cherokee 4XE too. That seemed to be the best thing I have done to improve the handling.
Have you had any other modifications done? How long is your rig?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 06:33 PM   #171

Johnynorthland,
We’ll let me see. I added a 1-3/8” diameter sway bar. The original one was 5/8” diameter that you could almost bend with your hands. Also added double steering stabilizers. I also adjusted the Helwig overload springs where they should be. Now going by big trucks don’t have a lot of effect on the handling. Still seems to go pretty straight. I think the alignment made the most difference. All of the other mods helped somewhat but the alignment made the most difference.