Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #1

Ford 450 modification for road sway

As a first time RV'er, we were surprised at the amount of trailer movement by wind and semis. We got a 2019 Greyhawk Prestige fsp and drove it from CA to eastern VA in 4 days.
After some research I have heard to get rear and front stabilizers, TruCenter, 1 7/8 inch front Sumo spring, check alifgnment, and steering stabilizer. I was told the TruCenter would decrease sway if you blow a tire.
I know you can't get rid of wind push but I sincerely hope you can modify it.
My question is would all of these help as a whole or is there excessive redundancy in the part list I have presented ?
Finchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

My research indicates that installing a trac bar is the solution. I ordered one and have not yet installed it, but you can take a look here https://supersteerparts.com/products...-sway-bar.html

and there are some youtubes I believe regarding the trac bars (aka pan hard bar). ~CA

Also, I see this is your first post, Welcome to the jaycoowners forums.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #3

You can look into Hellwig front and rear sway bars. They are more substantial than the OEM ones.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchr1 View Post
I was told the TruCenter would decrease sway if you blow a tire.

I'm fine with everything but this statement here.
Losing a rear may not be so bad. A blowout up front would be pretty bad regardless of what extra equipment you have. Try to avoid that.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Thank you. I have a lot of learning to do
Old 05-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

That is my intention, whatever it takes
Old 05-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #7

Thank you.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #8

Where is the movement? Front or rear? Both?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #9

More of the front and there appears to be more seat to the left. The tires look good to the naked eye, at least mine.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #10

Safe-T-Plus front end stabilizer and getting the alignment done did wonders for us!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #11

I don't think anything is wrong, just a new experience of RV'ing. You can add stuff to combat crosswinds but there's nothing on the market that'll eliminate it. It's a part of RV life towing or driving a big rig. Stabilizers don't help with highway crosswinds. They're for stabilizing road travel, not weather conditions. You'll get used to it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Safe-T-Plus front end stabilizer and getting the alignment done did wonders for us!
Ditto, love Safe-T-Plus.
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:24 PM   #13

Thanks
Old 05-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
As a first time RV'er, we were surprised at the amount of trailer movement by wind and semis. We got a 2019 Greyhawk Prestige fsp and drove it from CA to eastern VA in 4 days.
After some research I have heard to get rear and front stabilizers, TruCenter, 1 7/8 inch front Sumo spring, check alifgnment, and steering stabilizer. I was told the TruCenter would decrease sway if you blow a tire.
I know you can't get rid of wind push but I sincerely hope you can modify it.
My question is would all of these help as a whole or is there excessive redundancy in the part list I have presented ?
FWIW, we have a 2021 Red Hawk 24B and will going to El Cajone, CA from Florida and have WeldTec Designs install their Baja grocery getter 6" lift in July. It's really a new custom suspension. We plan to go to Alaska and 5 inches of ground clearance won't cut it.

Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
FWIW, we have a 2021 Red Hawk 24B and will going to El Cajone, CA from Florida and have WeldTec Designs install their Baja grocery getter 6" lift in July. It's really a new custom suspension. We plan to go to Alaska and 5 inches of ground clearance won't cut it.

Make sure you measure your new overall height and keep an eye on those low bridges.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #16

It's true that a certain level of movement while driving one of these rigs is "the nature of the beast" to some extent.

That being said, the suspension was not adequately modified for what the chassis is being asked to carry. Hence the upgrades/modifications.

First thing on my list would be an alignment to address the caster. Alignment shop will need to install adjustment sleeves to get the caster up over +5.5. Ford spec is between like 2 and 7. At 2.5, it's "within spec", and your rig is all over the place with the feeling of loose steering. If you just take it to an alignment shop and ask for an alignment, they will likely adjust the toe only since the caster is technically within Ford spec. You must know what you're asking for and insist on it unless you're dealing with a shop that really knows these rigs and has adjusted them before.

A steering stabilizer like the Roadmaster Reflex or Safe-T-Plus/Steer will help mitigate the steering issues, and offer the added benefit of better control in the event of a blowout on the steer axle. I installed the Roadmaster Reflex, and the improvement was nothing short of dramatic.

Next would be to upgrade the front sway bar. Ford OEM sway bar is a thin diameter, hollow bar. Upgrade to a Hellwig or Roadmaster HD sway bar, and the reduction in body roll is noticeable. I also put SUMO springs in the front of mine. I can now take low speed turns on uneven terrain without feeling like I'm going to flip the rig over, and it tracks MUCH better at speed and in the wind. If it's a Redhawk, you'll want to upgrade the rear sway bar as well.

Speaking of the rear, you will want to adjust your OEM installed Hellwig helpers if equipped. The chassis modifier bolts them on an empty chassis and Jayco does not adjust them. They need to be tightened down once the suspension flexes under the weight of the "house". Hellwig tech support recommends adjusting them to 2" from the bottom of the U-Bolt seat to the top of the OEM spring pack, but their printed installation materials reference a spec much less than that; mine are at 1" IIRC.

Many have installed SUMO springs in the rear as well; much improvement noted with that install.

A few have installed a trac-bar (AKA Panhard bar) in the rear as well and have noted a significant improvement. This helps control the lateral movement of the "house" over the axle. You wouldn't think this would be an improvement since it's a leaf-sprung vehicle, but it works. This is my next suspension modification, and I very much look forward to it. As it is, I've done nearly everything I can do to the front end, and I can now feel movement in the rear; I expect trac-bar to help with that.

Bottom line is it's never going to drive like a Tahoe, but you don't have to "just get used to it" driving like an overinflated beach ball either; improvements can be made, and they are effective.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #17

Camper Bob,
I added front Hellwig sway bar and Sumo bump stops.

I am at rest after crossing I80 then I70 into st. Charles Missouri.
There was lots of wind and the improvement was remarkable.

I noticed:
The house does not tip nearly as much on turns and in the wind.

I still get push from Semi's but it's a lateral bump rather than a tip and push.

In general the house feels pretty stiff on the chassis now.

I have jride which I believe includes rear Hellwig sway bar and springs.

I wonder what the steering stabilizer would add to the performance?
I hadn't thought about its effect in a blowout but what else could I expect.

Is a rear swaybar and track bar the same thing?

Also wondering about rear bumpstops?

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #18

Camper Bob
Thank you so much!!!!! I have gotten just about each of these that you mentioned but the specs you included are fantastic.
One person compared the feel without chassis modification to white knuckling an out of control boat to driving an SUV afterwards.
The drive from CA to VA at higher speeds in the winds of Arizona was fear inspiring.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
One person compared the feel without chassis modification to white knuckling an out of control boat to driving an SUV afterwards.

We test drove a used 2014 31FK before we bought the 2016 31FK.
Handling on the 2014 was like steering the Exxon Valdez while coming off a 3 day bender.

There was no skill involved in driving - it was more aim and pray.

The '16 we ended up with had no such issues.
It's like driving a big van.

Go figure...
Old 05-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #20

Camper Bob,
I got the steering stabilizer, front and back Hellwig sway, rear Trac bar, and SumoFSB shocks all around. The camper is having solar put on top then we take it to a truck person for the alignment and chassis. This info is invaluable. I hoped the feel could be modified some