Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #1

Ford E series AC vent vacuum fix

Many of the Ford vans have a problem with the ac vents not working or defaulting to the defrost vents when on ac or heat. Mine is a 1999 E450 but the E350 as well as the 450's used for C class motor homes and the F150's all have the same issue. The vacuum accumulator and check valve are located between the fender well plastic on the right hand side and the battery in a space inaccessible without removing the fender and the plastic behind it. The common fix is to run the red vacuum line off the tee on the rear of the motor that comes across the right side right above the battery directly to the ac vacuum line at the right side under the dash in front of the passenger seat, this bypasses the bad accumulator, check valve or cracked line inside the fender you can't get to. When you bypass all that the vents all work till you try to pass a car of go up a hill and the engine vacuum drops, the dash vents close till you let off the gas and the engine vacuum builds back up.

a check valve, a sealed tank of some sort and a T to fit the small lines are all the parts required to fix it. I used a 134A can drilled on the top and tapped to 1/8th npt to fit a 1/8th npt x 3/16 fitting screwed and lock-tighted into the top.

The check valve goes to the red vacuum line over the battery, the Tee goes to the home made vacuum accumulator, the other side of the check valve and the line to the dash. The check valve lets the accumulator hold vacuum when the engine vacuum falls. The tank holds it's vacuum and the vent doors in place till the engine regains vacuum.
Attached Images

CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

The problem happened to me Charlie, and it cost me about $1000 (mostly labor) for the Ford dealer to repair. I wish I would have known about your fix before that.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

It's crazy Ford couldn't find a accessible place for the Reservoir and check valve. If I was over their Engineering group, whoever approved that design would be in another job.

Dorman makes a couple of plastic reservoirs but none were in stock in my town, the used 134a refrigerant can was in my shop trash can and it fits between the battery and radiator with a zip tie. I had some thick felt to wrap it in so it wouldn't rub on anything.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

I just made the repair for my 2020 Greyhawk prestige / E450. $45 and a couple of hours. The majority of the time was spend getting the dog house out / back in. Parts ordered from Amazon - listed below. Reused connector between red hose and new hose after cutting the red hose under the hood. This RV was an easy fix - cut the hose under the hood, reroute through the dog house (removed bolt behind glove box and used a screwdrive to poke a hole through the dog house insulation) and connect everything up under the glove compartment area.

Ford Reservoir - VAC
Brand: Ford
4.8 out of 5 stars 428 ratings | 22 answered questions
Price: $23.55 & FREE Returns

Pico 5161PT 1/8" ID Vacuum Line Tubing 6' Per Package
Brand: Pico
4.6 out of 5 stars 269 ratings | 3 answered questions
Amazon's
Choice
for "1/8 vacuum line"
Price: $6.75 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns

Ford D7OZ-19A563-A - Valve - AIR CONDITIO
Brand: Ford
4.8 out of 5 stars 334 ratings | 5 answered questions
Price: $13.71 & FREE Returns
ttinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #5

The reservoir is YC2Z-19A566-AA.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #6

Thanks for this. Our 2021 Red Hawk 24B is intermittently going between the defrost vents and the dash vents. This should be a warranty issue.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
It's crazy Ford couldn't find a accessible place for the Reservoir and check valve. If I was over their Engineering group, whoever approved that design would be in another job.

Dorman makes a couple of plastic reservoirs but none were in stock in my town, the used 134a refrigerant can was in my shop trash can and it fits between the battery and radiator with a zip tie. I had some thick felt to wrap it in so it wouldn't rub on anything.

Thanks Charlie,

Can you re-add a few larger pictures, the ones I see from you are postage stamp size, not sure why but I can see other pictures full size. I wanted to be able to see more clearly what you did and where the vacuum line is that you reference.

Also, I suppose I must be fortunate not to have encountered this issue, however I suspect it is simply a matter of time. Hopefully a long.... time.

Many Thanks,
~CA