Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Frameless Windows

Just purchased a new Greyhawk 2016 and after we got it home realized the windows only open about 2". This does not give enough air!
Feltonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

That is a big thing to realize later. I would suggest upgrading the roof vent to a Fantastic Fan and this will increase your air flow when on and the windows are open.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #3

One of the reasons I opted for framed windows when we were looking. My wife noticed that they didn't open enough for her liking. We really like a good cross flow of air on nice days.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

Coming from the slider windows, I've found them tough to open. I'm good w/ the frameless w/ the aforementioned fan blowing to create a draft. Plus I'd imagine you could leave them open some when its raining?
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Coming from the slider windows, I've found them tough to open. I'm good w/ the frameless w/ the aforementioned fan blowing to create a draft. Plus I'd imagine you could leave them open some when its raining?
Yup, that's a plus with the frameless (we also have them).

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #6

Fan

We have the fan, but I am used to more air. Won't be bad on a cool day, but really need the AC in the sun.
Feltonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

Love the flameless. Plenty of airflow, easier to open then those PITA sliders and crank windows we had on our 5ver. When we need to, we just open the roof vent and there is a nice airflow. Moisture and condensation are reduced as well. Good luck Felton with your new rig.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #8

If you have dual pane windows they will eventually get moisture between the panes and will need to be repaired or replaced (speaking from experience here). Replacements are very expensive, but they can be repaired much cheaper (again speaking from experience here).

When I was having my windows repaired this past December I found out that frameless windows cost double the amount per window if they are frameless.

I'm tickled that I have frame windows. I had 8 windows that had moisture and had to be repaired, but since I was at the repair facility after a 550 mile drive, I had all 15 windows done. The repair has a 10 year warranty (pro rated of course), but that is much better than a 1 year warranty with a new window.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #9

Hi, edatlanta, your right about the double pane windows, but I believe on Feltonj's 2016 they are probably like my 2015, tinted tempered single pane. I have camped late in the fall, here in Canada and l have less heat loss now, then I did with my 2005 fifth wheel with frame double pane window. Cheers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
If you have dual pane windows they will eventually get moisture between the panes and will need to be repaired or replaced (speaking from experience here). Replacements are very expensive, but they can be repaired much cheaper (again speaking from experience here).

When I was having my windows repaired this past December I found out that frameless windows cost double the amount per window if they are frameless.

I'm tickled that I have frame windows. I had 8 windows that had moisture and had to be repaired, but since I was at the repair facility after a 550 mile drive, I had all 15 windows done. The repair has a 10 year warranty (pro rated of course), but that is much better than a 1 year warranty with a new window.
edatlanta
Just curious, what is the process for repairing the dual pane windows? When you say repaired do you mean replacing the moveable panels?
I have them and they are new, but I was just wondering for future reference.
I think they're great. They are way more insulating than the old sliders in our other unit.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #11

Dual pane windows are made with two sheets glass put together with a small gap between them. The dry air between them (better units would use a dry, inert gas instead of air but you won't see them in RVs) acts as an insulator to reduce the flow of heat through them. However, the sealant on the spacers that separate the two sheets of glass can fail, allowing moist air to leak into the space between the glass which can later condense out, causing fogging.

Repair consists of disassembling the window, cleaning up the glass, etc., then reassembling them with new sealant on the spacers and injecting dry air between the panes. Sometimes, the moisture that sneaks between the panes can cause glass etching that either needs to be polished out (if only very mildly etched) or the glass will need replacing (what usually happens when the glass is etched). Repairs are expensive due to the high amount of labor required and gets even more expensive if glass needs replacing (just the fact the letters RV are involved jacks up the labor rate).
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #12

Our Greyhawk has the single-pane frameless windows. Unless you encounter an intense driving rain, they do keep the water out when open.

WDW and I have wondered if it is okay to drive with them open at highway speeds, say 60 mph. Has anyone done that?

I did notice on the Fantastic Fan site, their FAQ says it is okay to drive with their fan lid open. They even mention their fan cover has a lifetime warranty.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
edatlanta
Just curious, what is the process for repairing the dual pane windows? When you say repaired do you mean replacing the moveable panels?
I have them and they are new, but I was just wondering for future reference.
I think they're great. They are way more insulating than the old sliders in our other unit.
The company I used removed the windows from my 5'er on a Monday morning. At the time they removed the windows they covered each opening with cardboard and taped it up so it would not leak. I lived in it at their facility while the work was being done. They have hookups with power and water and a dump on site and no extra charge for this. On the next day, Tuesday, they replaced 5-6 of the smaller windows, Wednesday saw several more of the larger ones, and Friday was the last two big ones. They would have done these last two on Thursday, but they knew I wasn't leaving until Saturday and they wanted the last two to sit an extra night after their rework.

They actually take the frames apart, separate the two pieces of glass, clean the glass, and reseal and reassemble the glass in the frame.

One thing that was very interesting was being in my 5'er with no window to look out of. You talk about feeling like you are in a cave!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frameless windows 2016