Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Freightliner S2RV chassis slow fuel fill rate

Picked up our new Jayco Seneca 37K on Monday. Here we are now about 350 miles down the road. Fuel fills are a challenge. We have now had experience filling at both truck stops and local gas stations with diesel. Same issue. The fill port is way in the back on left hand side at about 5 feet up - above and forward of the generator. The tank has an exceedingly low fill rate of approximately a gallon a minute. The diesel burps back out of the tank down the side of the RV. When the tank finally fills it is only 80% full per fuel gauge. Can't seem to top off the tank with the additional 20 gallons. From a Internet search, it appears that an old problem has resurfaced on the new Freightliner S2RV chassis with the slow fuel fill rate. The change to a single fill port seems to be the issue. We contacted our RV dealer to give them a heads up. Next step is to notify Freightliner to see what's the resolution. Has anyone experience with this problem?
Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #2

You sir I believe are the first person here to have an S2 chassis. Hopefully someone else sees this who has one and gets back to you, but with them being so new, it may be a bit before someone does.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVr2 View Post
Picked up our new Jayco Seneca 37K on Monday. Here we are now about 350 miles down the road. Fuel fills are a challenge. We have now had experience filling at both truck stops and local gas stations with diesel. Same issue. The fill port is way in the back on left hand side at about 5 feet up - above and forward of the generator. The tank has an exceedingly low fill rate of approximately a gallon a minute. The diesel burps back out of the tank down the side of the RV. When the tank finally fills it is only 80% full per fuel gauge. Can't seem to top off the tank with the additional 20 gallons. From a Internet search, it appears that an old problem has resurfaced on the new Freightliner S2RV chassis with the slow fuel fill rate. The change to a single fill port seems to be the issue. We contacted our RV dealer to give them a heads up. Next step is to notify Freightliner to see what's the resolution. Has anyone experience with this problem?

Exactly what I feared when I posted this some time ago: I sure hope that Jayco properly designed and tested the fuel fill assembly so it isn't "temperamental" taking fuel like you hear about on other types of units with between-the-frame fuel tanks. 100 gallons is great, but if it takes you half an hour or more to fill it........ https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-43157-11.html

Now I hope they (Jayco and Freightliner) can work it out and it doesn't end up in finger-pointing with the customer in the middle. I have friends whose Class A units did that and it was a struggle between the chassis manufacturer and the RV builder, neither wanting to accept responsibility.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #4

Perchance can anyone with this chassis determine where the fuel fill piping attaches to the fuel tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Perchance can anyone with this chassis determine where the fuel fill piping attaches to the fuel tank?
I can't really tell from this picture provided by another member who snapped the shot at Jayco. Maybe there is a large fitting left capped for transit?
Attached Thumbnails
S2RV fuel tank.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #6

My 2 cents.

At 1st, when I heard about the chassis change and 100G tank, I was thinking oh - that would be nice. (I have a 2018 M2 chassis). Then I got to thinking - while 25 extra gallon of fuel might be nice - the range on a Seneca is pretty significant, and the Country has plenty of abundant diesel filling locations. More important to me - do I really want to carry around 175 additional lbs of fuel? - I mean, why?

OK - slow fill. no expert, but slow or problematic fill to me means poor tank VENTING - you have to displace that air in the tank, and if it isn't leaving at the rate fuel is coming in (even around the filler hole) it seems this would be the problem. I'd be asking to see how that tank is vented, and whether it is adequate or there is a restriction in the line (like a kink in a tube or something).
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:43 AM   #7

[QUOTE=JimL;582413]My 2 cents.

At 1st, when I heard about the chassis change and 100G tank, I was thinking oh - that would be nice. (I have a 2018 M2 chassis). Then I got to thinking - while 25 extra gallon of fuel might be nice - the range on a Seneca is pretty significant, and the Country has plenty of abundant diesel filling locations. More important to me - do I really want to carry around 175 additional lbs of fuel? - I mean, why?
--------------

I also have a 2018 Seneca (M2). I would like the extra 25 gallons. While traveling the northeast this past summer I found fewer truck stops than I thought I would. An extra 200 mile range would have been nice, even if you don't need it. More importantly, a single fuel point would be a real convenience for when you can't find a dual pump truck stop.

Once again, Rob was right on it when he suggested a fuel filling issue with the single point. I do hope they can come up with a solution to this issue.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

RVr2,
You did't say whether you were filling from a truck diesel pump (high flow) or auto pump (low flow). Diesel will foam up when pumped full speed at the truck pumps causing the pump to shut off and also burn some fuel. Pump at lowest flow when at the truck pumps.

If you were at low flow auto diesel pumps then venting could be the problem.

Fuel gauges on prior Senecas were way off but in the other direction...the gauge showed low when still a lot of fuel in tank. Maybe they overcorrected??

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

Update on our fuel fill problem. Used the Pilot truckers lane this morning. Gave the nozzle a 1/2 depression and the fill rate improved with minimal burping from fill point. Were able to do about 2.2 gallons per minute - 44 gallons in 20 minutes. Actually were able to top off at 100 gallons for first time. Since we have used both truck diesel pump (high flow) or auto pump (low flow) this is a better result. Will continue to monitor and update.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVr2 View Post
Update on our fuel fill problem. Used the Pilot truckers lane this morning. Gave the nozzle a 1/2 depression and the fill rate improved with minimal burping from fill point. Were able to do about 2.2 gallons per minute - 44 gallons in 20 minutes. Actually were able to top off at 100 gallons for first time. Since we have used both truck diesel pump (high flow) or auto pump (low flow) this is a better result. Will continue to monitor and update.
There can't be many Niceville locations, so I'm assuming you're from Niceville, FL. If so, I highly recc. Empire Truck Sales for any Freightliner warranty work. They are right up the road from you (285 and I-10). Great service!! I've used them several times since May.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #11

Niceville FL is right. Good observation. First hand knowledge is the best reference. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #12

44 gallons in 20 minutes?! Something is drastically wrong. I would take it in ASAP- even a low flow diesel pump should flow 10-15 gallons/minute.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
44 gallons in 20 minutes?! Something is drastically wrong. I would take it in ASAP- even a low flow diesel pump should flow 10-15 gallons/minute.

I was thinking the same thing. 60 Gal stop, plus pee break for the pup and me (not at same time) took 15, last weekend.
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post
My 2 cents.

Your comments got me thinking more about this...

Not only does this change give the owner more weight to carry around, it also moved it from near the front axle, to behind the rear axle. For us, we have about equal weight capacity remaining on our front / rear axle when we are loaded (our M2 with full fuel and water)

I am curious to see what your axle weight is on a scale with full fuel and water.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #15

Other RV's

I think people on this forum had indicated that Haulmark or Renegade was using this chassis; perhaps there is a forum for that unit that may hold answers.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #16

Please keep us updated on the fix for the slow fuel fill rate and the unability to fil completely.I personally am on the fence about buying one of these newer ones ,hope its an easy fix.Also do you know if they have air dryers for the air brake sytem?Pretty important to me....Thankyou and good luck with your new motorhome.
Marty
2017 greyhawk mv
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #17

Freightliner S2RV chassis slow fuel fill rate

Just stopped at rvone and noticed they had a 2018.5 Seneca. It appears to have 6 house batteries unless they moved the chassis batteries to the storage compartment and moved all the electronics which were under the drivers seat to the old chassis battery area. There is nothing under the drivers seat. There is a bendix air dryer located on the rails next to air tanks. Overall I would say a much cleaner layout than previous models.

Still a step down cockpit and not sure I am a fan of the rubber floor in that area.

Inside storage is much more open and potentially too open. Lots of space for things to move.

Also has a rear stabilizer bar. Did not think to see if there still was one up front.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
...Still a step down cockpit and not sure I am a fan of the rubber floor in that area. ...
I thought the same thing until I remembered one of the first things we bought was rubber floor mats to protect the cheap carpet. So most of our floor now is rubber with carpet underlaymet
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Just stopped at rvone and noticed they had a 2018.5 Seneca. It appears to have 6 house batteries unless they moved the chassis batteries to the storage compartment and moved all the electronics which were under the drivers seat to the old chassis battery area. There is nothing under the drivers seat. There is a bendix air dryer located on the rails next to air tanks.
The bare chassis had the two starting batteries temporarily strapped to the top of the frame rails for delivery, so I suspect they are now with the house batteries but electrically isolated. Just a guess, haven't had an opportunity to inspect one in person yet!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #20

I agree that there seems to be a great deal of room for things to move around. I did not care for the carpet inside the basement storage either; seams this will get as dirty as my plastic has and be hard to clean.

Now for the plus side, the lack of carpet in front would make it easy to clean. I will confess, however, that i like the experience of driving without shoes and having my feet in the carpet. Seeing as how this air dryer is going to be $2,500 of expense, you have to appreciate that on the SRV2 version as well.