Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

Freightliner S2RV chassis slow fuel fill rate

Picked up our new Jayco Seneca 37K on Monday. Here we are now about 350 miles down the road. Fuel fills are a challenge. We have now had experience filling at both truck stops and local gas stations with diesel. Same issue. The fill port is way in the back on left hand side at about 5 feet up - above and forward of the generator. The tank has an exceedingly low fill rate of approximately a gallon a minute. The diesel burps back out of the tank down the side of the RV. When the tank finally fills it is only 80% full per fuel gauge. Can't seem to top off the tank with the additional 20 gallons. From a Internet search, it appears that an old problem has resurfaced on the new Freightliner S2RV chassis with the slow fuel fill rate. The change to a single fill port seems to be the issue. We contacted our RV dealer to give them a heads up. Next step is to notify Freightliner to see what's the resolution. Has anyone experience with this problem?

Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

You sir I believe are the first person here to have an S2 chassis. Hopefully someone else sees this who has one and gets back to you, but with them being so new, it may be a bit before someone does.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVr2 View Post
Picked up our new Jayco Seneca 37K on Monday. Here we are now about 350 miles down the road. Fuel fills are a challenge. We have now had experience filling at both truck stops and local gas stations with diesel. Same issue. The fill port is way in the back on left hand side at about 5 feet up - above and forward of the generator. The tank has an exceedingly low fill rate of approximately a gallon a minute. The diesel burps back out of the tank down the side of the RV. When the tank finally fills it is only 80% full per fuel gauge. Can't seem to top off the tank with the additional 20 gallons. From a Internet search, it appears that an old problem has resurfaced on the new Freightliner S2RV chassis with the slow fuel fill rate. The change to a single fill port seems to be the issue. We contacted our RV dealer to give them a heads up. Next step is to notify Freightliner to see what's the resolution. Has anyone experience with this problem?

Exactly what I feared when I posted this some time ago: I sure hope that Jayco properly designed and tested the fuel fill assembly so it isn't "temperamental" taking fuel like you hear about on other types of units with between-the-frame fuel tanks. 100 gallons is great, but if it takes you half an hour or more to fill it........ https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-43157-11.html

Now I hope they (Jayco and Freightliner) can work it out and it doesn't end up in finger-pointing with the customer in the middle. I have friends whose Class A units did that and it was a struggle between the chassis manufacturer and the RV builder, neither wanting to accept responsibility.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

Perchance can anyone with this chassis determine where the fuel fill piping attaches to the fuel tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08 Fleetwood Bounder 38P (gone but not forgotten)
Crossingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Perchance can anyone with this chassis determine where the fuel fill piping attaches to the fuel tank?
I can't really tell from this picture provided by another member who snapped the shot at Jayco. Maybe there is a large fitting left capped for transit?
Attached Thumbnails
S2RV fuel tank.jpg  
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

My 2 cents.

At 1st, when I heard about the chassis change and 100G tank, I was thinking oh - that would be nice. (I have a 2018 M2 chassis). Then I got to thinking - while 25 extra gallon of fuel might be nice - the range on a Seneca is pretty significant, and the Country has plenty of abundant diesel filling locations. More important to me - do I really want to carry around 175 additional lbs of fuel? - I mean, why?

OK - slow fill. no expert, but slow or problematic fill to me means poor tank VENTING - you have to displace that air in the tank, and if it isn't leaving at the rate fuel is coming in (even around the filler hole) it seems this would be the problem. I'd be asking to see how that tank is vented, and whether it is adequate or there is a restriction in the line (like a kink in a tube or something).
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 AM   #7

[QUOTE=JimL;582413]My 2 cents.

At 1st, when I heard about the chassis change and 100G tank, I was thinking oh - that would be nice. (I have a 2018 M2 chassis). Then I got to thinking - while 25 extra gallon of fuel might be nice - the range on a Seneca is pretty significant, and the Country has plenty of abundant diesel filling locations. More important to me - do I really want to carry around 175 additional lbs of fuel? - I mean, why?
--------------

I also have a 2018 Seneca (M2). I would like the extra 25 gallons. While traveling the northeast this past summer I found fewer truck stops than I thought I would. An extra 200 mile range would have been nice, even if you don't need it. More importantly, a single fuel point would be a real convenience for when you can't find a dual pump truck stop.

Once again, Rob was right on it when he suggested a fuel filling issue with the single point. I do hope they can come up with a solution to this issue.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #8

RVr2,
You did't say whether you were filling from a truck diesel pump (high flow) or auto pump (low flow). Diesel will foam up when pumped full speed at the truck pumps causing the pump to shut off and also burn some fuel. Pump at lowest flow when at the truck pumps.

If you were at low flow auto diesel pumps then venting could be the problem.

Fuel gauges on prior Senecas were way off but in the other direction...the gauge showed low when still a lot of fuel in tank. Maybe they overcorrected??

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

Update on our fuel fill problem. Used the Pilot truckers lane this morning. Gave the nozzle a 1/2 depression and the fill rate improved with minimal burping from fill point. Were able to do about 2.2 gallons per minute - 44 gallons in 20 minutes. Actually were able to top off at 100 gallons for first time. Since we have used both truck diesel pump (high flow) or auto pump (low flow) this is a better result. Will continue to monitor and update.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVr2 View Post
Update on our fuel fill problem. Used the Pilot truckers lane this morning. Gave the nozzle a 1/2 depression and the fill rate improved with minimal burping from fill point. Were able to do about 2.2 gallons per minute - 44 gallons in 20 minutes. Actually were able to top off at 100 gallons for first time. Since we have used both truck diesel pump (high flow) or auto pump (low flow) this is a better result. Will continue to monitor and update.
There can't be many Niceville locations, so I'm assuming you're from Niceville, FL. If so, I highly recc. Empire Truck Sales for any Freightliner warranty work. They are right up the road from you (285 and I-10). Great service!! I've used them several times since May.

Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote