Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2023, 01:22 PM   #1

Fresh water drains out

Jayco Greyhawk 2004 30 ft. I just bought this unit. The previous owner never used it and could not help explain set up. When I fill the fresh water tank it begins to leak on the passenger side in front of the rear axle. It will leak until the tank is empty. I can't find any drain valve to close. What am I missing? It doesn't leak until the tank is full so I don't think the tank is cracked or punctured.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team

If there's only the one line where it's located, water may be coming from the overflow, in which case it would stop eventually, but not empty the tank. It may be the tank drain. Take a look inside directly above where the line is dripping for a shut off. If there are two lines there, those would be the low point drains, and valves should be above them, also inside. Just a thought or two.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #3

In addition to what JFlightRisk stated, on my 2010 GreyHawk there are two drain valves located inside the storage compartment on the passenger side just forward of the rear axle. Those valves when open will drain the lines exactly as where you stated the leak is coming from and I suspect they are open on yours, (I am not sure if they also drain the tank as there is a tank drain as well on the drivers side but certainly could do so). ~CA
Old 06-16-2023, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
It doesn't leak until the tank is full
This part here has me puzzled!

It doesn't start dripping until the tank is full??? If so - overflow and siphoning maybe?
Old 06-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #5

Figured out the water leak. The FW tank was held in place from shifting by a thin metal band. The tank slid forward into the top if the shock absorber on the bolt. The bolt rubbed a hole in the bottom of the tank. Not sure if thus can be patched without removing the tank.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Figured out the water leak. The FW tank was held in place from shifting by a thin metal band. The tank slid forward into the top if the shock absorber on the bolt. The bolt rubbed a hole in the bottom of the tank. Not sure if thus can be patched without removing the tank.
Hey Huck, not sure if you're still around but wanted to know if you ever solved that tank leak where it rubbed the shock bolt. We just recently purchased an 04 Granite ridge and just yesterday I found access to the FW tank by removing the panel above the driver side rear tires. ( I was searching for the generator connection to the transfer switch to solve a wiring problem ) Our tank must have been leaking previously as all of the OSB wood and thin metal sheild under the tank are rotted away. I'm wondering if this tank did the same thing on the shock bolt. I will check.
MDO1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:35 PM   #7
CAG

So, I would be a bit worried about dry rot, hose decay etc. This unit is 20 years old and never used?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote