Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #41

I have 2 hose connections-one is under the other. The top one is for the city water connection and I believe the other is the country fill. Thinking I could remove the check valve on the lower one for a vent for the tank. Thinking it would vent the tank but that might not work either if the fill valves are not in the right position. Seems Jayco screwed up a simple thing when I was used to just filling the tank and using it with out having to mess with valve positions!
Nytebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytebyte View Post
I have 2 hose connections-one is under the other. The top one is for the city water connection and I believe the other is the country fill. Thinking I could remove the check valve on the lower one for a vent for the tank. Thinking it would vent the tank but that might not work either if the fill valves are not in the right position. Seems Jayco screwed up a simple thing when I was used to just filling the tank and using it with out having to mess with valve positions!
Are you sure the second connection isn't a black tank flush connection?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Are you sure the second connection isn't a black tank flush connection?
I looked at the Jayco website, a black tank flush is listed as standard equipment on the Redhawk. I strongly suspect your second hose connection is that black tank flush inlet. No connection to the rest of the water system whatsoever.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #44

Might be! Thought it was for the country fill? If thats the case could i just remove the check valve from the fill connection and would that work to vent it. Just dont like going camping and only have 1/3 tank of water when i get there. We very seldom are in a campground with water hookup.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Might be! Thought it was for the country fill? If thats the case could i just remove the check valve from the fill connection and would that work to vent it. Just dont like going camping and only have 1/3 tank of water when i get there. We very seldom are in a campground with water hookup.
I know on my unit there are times the outside hose connection is under pressure from my pump, hence the need for a check valve to keep it from spraying out there. Yours may be plumbed differently so I don't know if could act as an overflow/vent.

Others have found installing plastic valves in the overflow lines works to keep the tank from siphoning out. They just have to remember to close them after the tank is filled, opening them when filling, and opening (at least one) when drawing water from the tank with the water pump.

I took a different path, but my fix is a bit more complicated and some rigs don't have room above the tank.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
Found this fix on another thread here.
Anyone try this ?
One concern is it would vents into a sealed bay.

http://eksfiles.net/jayco/fresh_tank...limination.pdf
Someone posted earlier on that was what Jayco instructed them to do. I have fixed my 2017 HJ this way, haven’t took a trip in it since I did. Just saying.
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Our units are very similar. Top inlet filler is strictly for Fresh water fill for tank or if hooked to city water into the RV
The bottom inlet is for the Black tank fresh water sprayer

Country fill still uses the upper fresh water filler inlet but I believe uses the water pump to suck water from a water source like a water jug or a dirty puddle on the side of the highway.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5395 View Post
Guess I should clarify that I was asking in reference to our 2018 Eagle HT.
Chuck5395, in reference to your fresh water tank overflow concern, what did you do on your 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS to resolve your losing water while traveling and still allow tank to breath during fill and water pump use. Thanks, Newt
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #49

Chuck3595, how did you correct your fresh water tank overflow concern to prevent water siphon loss while traveling and still allow venting of tank for fill and use? Thanks, Newt
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
I thought I read about losing fresh water out the over flows while driving but I can’t find it now. At the time I didnt give it a second thought as I hadn’t noticed any leaking out.

Yesterday I filled my water tank to the point of overflowing. Drive over to fill it up with propane then go over and fill with fuel.

While driving I notice I’m leaving water trails behind every once in awhile.

Get home and now I’m showing 2/3rds full !!

I lost 1/3 of my fresh water.....

Getting ready to head out for some dry camping in a couple days.

Any quick tips on how to stop the loss ? Maybe plug the overflows from the bottom ?

What’s the long term solution ?

-

I have a GrayHawk 29W. I ran two of the three overflow/vent lines to a manifold placed level with the top of the water tank, outboard just inside the exterior wall, with a shut off valve. The third line, from the tank, I ran above the tank along the frame to the rear outside shower. I used a 5/8" hose and ran it up through the base of the shower. I left the end open for a vent line and ran it to the top of the shower. I filled the tank until the manifold flowed water and shut off the water supply. I let it drain until the overflow stopped draining and shut the manifold valve. When it stopped draining, the tank read full on the panel. Mission accomplished !! Just remember to open the valve when in your camping spot to insure that you have enough venting so as not to collapse your water tank from vacuum, with pump use. It needs to be able to breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #51

Would it work to just cut the 3 vent lines so they just go below the top of the tank? It would do the job of venting and I wouldn't have to remove caps or open values. That way it wouldn't siphon below the lines?? Just looking for a easy solution!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Would it work to just cut the 3 vent lines so they just go below the top of the tank? It would do the job of venting and I wouldn't have to remove caps or open values. That way it wouldn't siphon below the lines?? Just looking for a easy solution!
Once cut, where would they overflow when filling the tank? Into a compartment?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #53

Quote:
Would it work to just cut the 3 vent lines so they just go below the top of the tank? It would do the job of venting and I wouldn't have to remove caps or open values. That way it wouldn't siphon below the lines??

While the siphoning is an important part part of the issue the other part is water movement within the tank. Depending on which unit is involved the tanks are about 10 inches high by 40 inches square. This means that starting and going up hills moves a lot of water to the area of the vents so a large part of the loss is from the sloshing. With the long vents this is amplified and the siphon can increase this effect. Cutting the hose might reduce some of the loss but then you might have a lot of water in an area you don’t want it.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #54

Quote:

Not really, because it’ll just slosh around and drain out. That is the real problem. Nothing happens when it is sitting there, but when on the road and while turning, it sloshes out and keeps draining until it satisfies itself and settles at around 2/3 full. Just bite the bullet and do it right the first time and you will be much happier. That is what I had to do after playing around with it first , and to no avail. Nothing else worked for me.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #55

Not sure how much I lose driving but I can watch it go from full to 2/3 full sitting in the driveway. Not sure what Jayco was thinking on this one. What was wrong with the way others do it with just one vent line up high so it doesn't siphon? Oh well, Guess I will have to live with it-at least till the warranty is up in 22 months.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Not sure how much I lose driving but I can watch it go from full to 2/3 full sitting in the driveway. Not sure what Jayco was thinking on this one. What was wrong with the way others do it with just one vent line up high so it doesn't siphon? Oh well, Guess I will have to live with it-at least till the warranty is up in 22 months.
Jayco may do their mod as part of warranty. Can't hurt to try!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #57

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
To stop the siphoning; run the hoses about 24" up (in a 2" pipe) and loop them down again. Just check if you have a spot to run a pipe up in the RV. Have done a few of them and works perfect.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #58

I put small valves on all three vent tubes. Got them at Home Depot for about $9 each. I close them after I fill the tank. Then open once at the campsite and level. Works great. I use to lose 1/3 tank every time, now with the valves installed I have full tank when arriving at the campsite.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #59

I experienced this in our Seneca getting read for our first trip. Filled the water up, ran to get fuel and when I pulled in our driveway which is downhill first, I stopped got out and hear water running on the ground. What I was able to do is I pulled a panel covering the water tank and between pushing the lines up from underneath and using a rod with a hook bent on the end, fished them our to the side. Then I built a manifold out of pvc pipe that I hooked the 3 lines to that loops up, extends back about 3’ to another manifold with 3 drain lines. It has been working great and have never lost any water again. If it had not worked I had the option of putting a ball valve in the 3’ section but ended up not having to. Didn’t really like the idea of a valve....hoping to remember to turn it on.
Attached Thumbnails
4D7D524F-8C2C-4DC0-B635-3585CD8ABBDD.jpg   EFD56679-AEC9-4E90-B367-2624E98066AF.jpg   A46E1126-22B6-48CB-8F6E-5844811E0282.jpg   4E8034A7-1D5D-469C-8009-7E80F26E7975.jpg   5833F4B7-0746-40B3-85B3-697F879904BA.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I experienced this in our Seneca getting read for our first trip. Filled the water up, ran to get fuel and when I pulled in our driveway which is downhill first, I stopped got out and hear water running on the ground. What I was able to do is I pulled a panel covering the water tank and between pushing the lines up from underneath and using a rod with a hook bent on the end, fished them our to the side. Then I built a manifold out of pvc pipe that I hooked the 3 lines to that loops up, extends back about 3’ to another manifold with 3 drain lines. It has been working great and have never lost any water again. If it had not worked I had the option of putting a ball valve in the 3’ section but ended up not having to. Didn’t really like the idea of a valve....hoping to remember to turn it on.
Looks great!