Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
MD3

Fresh water loss while driving

I thought I read about losing fresh water out the over flows while driving but I can’t find it now. At the time I didnt give it a second thought as I hadn’t noticed any leaking out.

Yesterday I filled my water tank to the point of overflowing. Drive over to fill it up with propane then go over and fill with fuel.
While driving I notice I’m leaving water trails behind every once in awhile.
Get home and now I’m showing 2/3rds full !!
I lost 1/3 of my fresh water.....

Getting ready to head out for some dry camping in a couple days.
Any quick tips on how to stop the loss ? Maybe plug the overflows from the bottom ?
What’s the long term solution ?

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #2

We are still contemplating the best long term solution but putting some type of plug in each of the 3 lines after filling and while moving, but remove them while using, does work.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
I thought I read about losing fresh water out the over flows while driving but I can’t find it now. At the time I didnt give it a second thought as I hadn’t noticed any leaking out.

Yesterday I filled my water tank to the point of overflowing. Drive over to fill it up with propane then go over and fill with fuel.

Any quick tips on how to stop the loss ? Maybe plug the overflows from the bottom ?

What’s the long term solution ?

-

I agree with you that you’re probably losing the water through the overflow tubes. Quick fix would be to see what material the overflow hose(s) is and put a plug or valve on it. I had a Bighorn fifth wheel years ago that had pex for overflows, so it was real easy to go to Home Depot and get a valve to put in. Let us know what you discover.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #4

I extended my over flows to where I can reach them and plug them when the water starts flowing out while filling. When I set up in my spot, I remove the plugs. Simple 1/2 inch garden hose ends and caps.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:

What’s the long term solution ?-
Common issue, used to happen to my Seneca all the time. Here is a recent thread where another Seneca owner has a water tank issue because his vents may have been plugged or valved without his knowledge. They just recently became the unit's second owner.

In that post I describe my permanent solution to the issue by building and installing an "air gap" that stops the siphoning without creating the potential to collapse the tank should one forget to open the vent lines.

Here is the recent post: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ank-54228.html
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Common issue, used to happen to my Seneca all the time. Here is a recent thread where another Seneca owner has a water tank issue because his vents may have been plugged or valved without his knowledge. They just recently became the unit's second owner.

In that post I describe my permanent solution to the issue by building and installing an "air gap" that stops the siphoning without creating the potential to collapse the tank should one forget to open the vent lines.

Here is the recent post: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ank-54228.html
That's where I read ab It. Thank you !

What is an air gap and how does it work?
My overflows are middle of the coach. Any way to get to them without pulling the entire tank ?

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
What is an air gap and how does it work?
My overflows are middle of the coach. Any way to get to them without pulling the entire tank ?-
An air gap in its simplest terms is a physical separation between a water outlet and the "flood level" of a container. If you imagine a kitchen sink and faucet, it is easy to visualize the water coming out of the faucet and falling into the sink. So the "air gap" is that space between the faucet and the sink's high water level. If the water supply was to somehow go into a negative pressure state (vacuum), it can't be drawn back into the faucet because of the "air gap". In a sense, a passive backflow prevention device. The manifold I fabricated and installed inserts that same "gap" between the vent/overflow lines and the water tank.

As far as to where your water tank vents are located I cannot say on the RB floor plan. You have more tanks than I do! On my TS they are very accessible by the simple removal of a panel from the outside compartment. Maybe another RB owner will chime in as to how you can access your vent lines.

In the meantime if you plug the outlets you will temporarily solve the siphoning issue, just be certain you remove the plugs before filling or using the tank!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #8

There are a few different ways to control losing water out the vent/overflow. I would just use a Sharkbite fitting since all you have to do is push it on the end of the pipe to attach. Then open for filling and when using water from the tank and close when traveling with a full water tank. Not sure what size drains you have but the fittings come in various sizes, can pick them up at Home Depot or order from Amazon. Here is a like to one of the various valves they have

https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-230.../dp/B004XM6J1A
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #9

Maybe not possible, but just a question on this topic. If the exit of the vent line is above the level of the tank, would that stop the siphon action. Seems like that is the case. Of course the problem with enclosed tanks is you then have a mess somewhere inside the RV. But on my 31DS for instance, where the water tank is external, in theory I could tie the vent line exit toward the top of the tank. Or am i oversimplifying?
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
Maybe not possible, but just a question on this topic. If the exit of the vent line is above the level of the tank, would that stop the siphon action. Seems like that is the case. Of course the problem with enclosed tanks is you then have a mess somewhere inside the RV. But on my 31DS for instance, where the water tank is external, in theory I could tie the vent line exit toward the top of the tank. Or am i oversimplifying?
Our overflow lines are all together on the very top of the tank. They have a 90 degree bend and are plumbed out 3 holes in the compartment below to the street.
We are considering re-plumbing them into an actual vent configuration with an option for overflow in rare cases. This is how all our previous RVs from another manufacturer were configured.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
But on my 31DS for instance, where the water tank is external, in theory I could tie the vent line exit toward the top of the tank. Or am i oversimplifying?
I don't think you would have any room to do that, the vents/overflows come off the top of the tank which is very close to the bottom of the floor so there is no room to turn them up.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #12

Here is the response I received from Jayco when I asked them that question.

Good afternoon Chuck,
The siphoning of water from tanks is a common occurrence as they are not intended to be traveled long distances with a full tank.

This can be rectified easily by attaching a rubber extension and hose clamp to the overflow and securing the hose to the frame via eye loop.

You may contact the dealership to have this addressed and filed as a warrantable repair.
chuck5395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #13

I read in the owners manual..yea I was bored... that you should NOT use a shut off valve on the tank as it can cause undue pressure build up and cause the tank to fail... I am sure a warning in case it does and the manf has a way out... but food for thought.
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I don't think you would have any room to do that, the vents/overflows come off the top of the tank which is very close to the bottom of the floor so there is no room to turn them up.
But we think they could easily be bundled, secured into a larger tube, ran across the top of the tank, and UP into the wet bay.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5395 View Post
Here is the response I received from Jayco when I asked them that question.

Good afternoon Chuck,
The siphoning of water from tanks is a common occurrence as they are not intended to be traveled long distances with a full tank.

This can be rectified easily by attaching a rubber extension and hose clamp to the overflow and securing the hose to the frame via eye loop.

You may contact the dealership to have this addressed and filed as a warrantable repair.
Hmm...I wonder if that applies to any year? And it sounds similar to an idea we have to rectify ours.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Hmm...I wonder if that applies to any year? And it sounds similar to an idea we have to rectify ours.
Guess I should clarify that I was asking in reference to our 2018 Eagle HT.
chuck5395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5395 View Post
Guess I should clarify that I was asking in reference to our 2018 Eagle HT.
We can easily change our '08 to '18.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If possible run the vent lines 20 to 24" up and then down will solve the problem too
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Running the vent/overflow lines up into a loop arrangement would likely work in some models, but the OP has a Seneca and our tanks are mounted close to the underside of the floor as Sundancer notes above. To get the lines up much higher than the top of the tank would mean (somehow) penetrating the floor. That would likely be a big undertaking.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #20

The tank in my TS is located directly below the bed and there is a 1.5 inch hole already drilled into this space, there is space to run some lines up but one would probably have to drill a larger hole to get all three or a 1 inch line which would probably provide a similar volume. In my case the hole is next to the out side of the bed storage area and it would be pretty simple to secure a loop in this space. Having said that I will start with unit that Robbbyr has designed, and if i still felt that i was loosing too much i would then pursue the loop in the bed space.

It really depends on where the tank vents are located related to any space to either install the air vent or to run a loop up into the coach.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote