Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Fresh water tank super hot after long driving distance

Hi All,

Jayco had bad designed to place water tank next to exhaust. Water was super hot after long distance. Anyone having that issue with that and how to resolve it? Any advice or suggestion?. Thanks. What heat shield should I used.
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #2

You didn't post your make and model rv so kind of hard to give any advice. If it gets to hot the plastic tank will melt so you might think about insulation.

Best wait and see what advice you get after you post the year and model.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

What model and year do you have? Could it also be from hot radiant heat from the road?

Tank will not melt. I know this from my what my kid did a few years ago. He took a plastic microwave pot, filled it with water, and placed it on the gas stove to make dinner one night. Rolling boil, the sides deformed where there was not water, but it held together.

As for a heat shield, almost any sheet metal deflector will work. Might work better with a little Dynamat like material on the cool side of the shield. Could talk with a local welding shop and see if they can make something for you.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #4

You don't mention a year make or model coach, only what you say is a bad Jayco design. Did you Call Jayco and ask them about the problem and their thoughts? Did you check with anyone to see if there was supposed to be a heat shield or insulation that may have been lost during the long drive? What was the outside temperature during this drive, was it in the desert at 110 degrees with road surfaces being 130 in the shade?

Without more info any suggestion is a WAG at best.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
You didn't post your make and model rv so kind of hard to give any advice. If it gets to hot the plastic tank will melt so you might think about insulation.

Best wait and see what advice you get after you post the year and model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
What model and year do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You don't mention a year make or model coach, only what you say is a bad Jayco design.
A quick glance at his profile reveals it's a ...

2018 Jayco Greyhawk 26T
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
A quick glance at his profile reveals it's a ...

2018 Jayco Greyhawk 26T
Sorry, if someone is asking for assistance or advice the people being asked shouldn’t have to dig through someone’s profile to determine what the person needs help on or with.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #7

Sorry all, mine is 2018 greyhawk 26Y. After driving around 750 miles, the water is super hot.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Sorry, if someone is asking for assistance or advice the people being asked shouldn’t have to dig through someone’s profile to determine what the person needs help on or with.
I absolutely agree with you, and this happens way too often, where someone asks for help, but doesn't supply any necessary rig information. Everyone should put their rig model in their signature line, makes things much easier for those of us who offer help.

But, I just thought it was funny that 3 of you asked the same question, when the answer was just two clicks away.... and no one else checked his profile...
Old 07-06-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
Sorry all, mine is 2018 greyhawk 26Y. After driving around 750 miles, the water is super hot.
Probably because it's Summer, the roadway is hot, and exhaust and engine heat gets caught under the rig.

Hey, but on the positive side, just think how much propane you save not having to heat the water!!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #10

Maybe the weather in Arizona and New Mexico hit 100 degree plus driving for 750 miles which cause the water super hot.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

Also what do you mean by super hot? Almost burning to the touch? Or just really warm?

I ask because we just drove from KY to CO and the whole trip our water was really warm but it was mid 90s and really high humidity the entire drive, so no chance for the water to cool down at night. If it's almost burning to the touch, then I'd think there may be a problem, but really warm is probably normal if you're in similar conditions.

We're thinking about buying an ice maker for us and the dogs.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #12

Almost burning to touch. I think Jayco should not install fresh water tank above the exhaust.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
Maybe the weather in Arizona and New Mexico hit 100 degree plus driving for 750 miles which cause the water super hot.
Quote:
I think Jayco should not install fresh water tank above the exhaust.
Here's some quick data... If the outside temperature is 100 degrees and it's sunny, asphalt can reach temps +30 degrees at least above that, or +130 degrees...

So, at minimum, your water temperature will be 100, the same as the ambient air. Now add the heat radiating from the asphalt, plus add in heat from the rig.... see how it can climb?

The temperature of the average shower is 105 - 110 degrees, when hot and cold are mixed....

Not sure how Jayco can do anything to help your water temperature situation, unless they install a water chiller in the water tank....

Or, maybe it's time to camp in a cooler location, like in the mountains....
Old 07-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #14

Oh no...definitely not the mountain. Just got back from Destin, Florida and stayed there for 3 1/2 weeks. It was worth the drive for 2,500 miles each way.Topsail Hill Preserve State Park campground is the best place to stay and cheaper than other campground around that area.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7958.jpg   IMG_7974.jpg   IMG_7968.jpg   IMG_7975.jpg   IMG_7979.jpg