Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2023, 05:05 PM   #1

Fridge Defend?

My brother had a 2000 Jayco either Redhawks or greyhawk (he can't recall). He only had the RV for two years but purchased new. He said he had a fridge fire. I have a 2013 Greyhawk and concerned after hearing his story. Seems these fridges go poof sometimes. Anyone installed Fridge Defend as a precaution? I know Norcold had a recall on fridges build from 2000 to 2010. Again just trying to be proactive and cautious.
KC1SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:31 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1SA View Post
My brother had a 2000 Jayco either Redhawks or greyhawk (he can't recall). He only had the RV for two years but purchased new. He said he had a fridge fire. I have a 2013 Greyhawk and concerned after hearing his story. Seems these fridges go poof sometimes. Anyone installed Fridge Defend as a precaution? I know Norcold had a recall on fridges build from 2000 to 2010. Again just trying to be proactive and cautious.

Personally, I think it is an over reaction but then that is me. If that issue were a major problem there would be a recall, class action, or so much chatter about it on RV sites that it would be front page news, and I have never heard of it in 25 years of RV owning.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:36 PM   #3

After that happened, there was a sensor added to them. It has two wires to it and is fastened to the metal tube around the vertical heating tube. If it senses too much heat, the unit shuts down. See if yours has the little button sensor installed.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Personally, I think it is an over reaction but then that is me. If that issue were a major problem there would be a recall, class action, or so much chatter about it on RV sites that it would be front page news, and I have never heard of it in 25 years of RV owning.
There was a huge recall of Norcold fridges and class action lawsuits that many on here participated in. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...its-22384.html
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #5

It has a thermal switch with two wires (14 gauge) connected just above where the gas fire is located but I think that is just feedback to the controller that the gas ignited. I don't see any thermal sensors further up on the boiler tube.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:38 AM   #6

Yes, I've been up and down the internet today looking at this stuff. Looks like the dates of the recall/lawsuit were from 2000 to 2010. My brother's 2000 Jayco situation probably had a suspect fridge but he dumped it long ago. He had a lot of issues with it but not sure if the issues were self-inflicted or not. I learned long ago complex systems (like a motorhome) require (no demand) respect and appreciation of how they work. You just can't "set it and forget it!"
Old 11-25-2023, 11:49 AM   #7

This is the switch that was added to all refrigerators to stop from catching on fire.

https://youtu.be/Wq3mj6_6oJo?si=7jQIFaCj_H-6UXiD
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:20 PM   #8

That over temp switch was added by Norcold to address their design oversight. Heres the drawings from the various ways it's added to the fridge. Fridge Defend adds the over temp sensor to the top of the tube too. Perhaps overkill? I'll be calling Norcold Monday.
https://www.arprv.com/norcold-control-box-wiring.php

Tags
greyhawk 31ds, norcold fridge