Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Fridge Not Switching to Propane

Just want to put this out there in case anyone else is having this problem.

Since we picked up our 2016 Seneca HJ last Apr, we had a problem with the rig when it was plugged into shore power and the propane was on we would unplug from shore power and the fridge would not witch over to propane.

We had it in the shop a couple of times but was told they could not replicate the problem. This last time we had it in for some warranty work, the technician said that Jayco had received a lot of the same complaints and came to the conclusion there were too many devices wired into the same breaker. Their fix was to put the fridge on its own breaker, #14 by itself. No more problems with the fridge not going to propane when unplugged from shore power.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman417 View Post
Just want to put this out there in case anyone else is having this problem.

Since we picked up our 2016 Seneca HJ last Apr, we had a problem with the rig when it was plugged into shore power and the propane was on we would unplug from shore power and the fridge would not witch over to propane.

We had it in the shop a couple of times but was told they could not replicate the problem. This last time we had it in for some warranty work, the technician said that Jayco had received a lot of the same complaints and came to the conclusion there were too many devices wired into the same breaker. Their fix was to put the fridge on its own breaker, #14 by itself. No more problems with the fridge not going to propane when unplugged from shore power.
We had a similar issue... Fridge kept saying Low-DC, when the batteries were up.

Jayco told them that the Fridge was on a circuit with too many other loads. CW was going to run another wire from the circuit panel in the back to the fridge - I suggested that since the Battery compartment was right below the fridge, they wire it there with proper fuses...
No more problems.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

Interesting. We've encountered what may be a similar issue with our Alante. Only taken it out three times but last time while driving home, I left the propane on to see if the frig would switch over but it did not. She's in the shop now for that and some other warranty work. I'll let the dealer know about this issue with Senecas.
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #4

Ours has given us the Low-DC warning, when batteries are fine... guess we should look at adding some wires and fuses, too.

It seemed to auto-shift back to propane just fine (as far as I remember?). I'll have to keep closer tabs on that.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

Trying to make sure I understand how the fridge works since we will be picking up our FS in a couple of weeks. Let's assume everything works as they are supposed to, the propane is on and the generator is in auto mode. I understand that when I disconnect from shore power that the fridge is supposed to switch to propane. So I'm going down the road and the house A/C kicks on causing the generator to come on-line. When the generator comes on-line and provides ac current, does the fridge go off the propane and back to electrical? In other words, I'm assuming that the fridge does not distinguish between shore electric and generator electric. Is my assumption correct?
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
generator is in auto mode.

I'm assuming that the fridge does not distinguish between shore electric and generator electric. Is my assumption correct?
My genny doesn't have an auto-mode. Didn't know they existed.

But yes, my Norcold doesn't distinguish between 120V from shore or 120V from the generator.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
...When the generator comes on-line and provides ac current, does the fridge go off the propane and back to electrical?
I would probably switch the fridge to run only on propane when you're traveling, so it's not flipping back and forth a lot. I'm not sure how the igniter would do while running down the freeway in a stiff breeze.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Trying to make sure I understand how the fridge works since we will be picking up our FS in a couple of weeks. Let's assume everything works as they are supposed to, the propane is on and the generator is in auto mode. I understand that when I disconnect from shore power that the fridge is supposed to switch to propane. If refrigerator in "AUTO" mode.

So I'm going down the road and the house A/C kicks on causing the generator to come on-line. When the generator comes on-line and provides ac current, does the fridge go off the propane and back to electrical? Yes, if refrigerator is in "AUTO" mode.

In other words, I'm assuming that the fridge does not distinguish between shore electric and generator electric. Is my assumption correct? Yes
I have the Norcold N1210IM (icemaker) model in my 2014 Seneca. Those units have 3 operating modes, Auto, AC, LP. Auto mode defaults to 120-volts if present, if it doesn't see AC power it switches to propane (LP). LP mode forces the unit to propane exclusively. If in LP mode and burner will not light/relight, it will display a fault. AC mode forces it to 120-volts exclusively. If in AC mode and no power, a fault will be displayed.

Just a couple other pieces of information, my model will only make ice (via the icemaker) if it has 120-volts available. It will not make ice operating in the LP mode. The water solenoid for the icemaker only actuates with 120-volts. Also the unit must have a constant 12-volt supply to operate, even on propane. But it is not a 3-way refrigerator, some have wanted to argue with me about that! A true 3-way refrigerator draws a tremendous amounts of amperes on 12-volts to operate, our units draw only a small amount of current to operate the controls and the light.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

Rob,

Thanks for your very informative response. Been working on the parking pad all weekend, so my thanks are a little late. 7 cubic yards of gravel (10 tons) is a LOT OF GRAVEL. One of the nice things about living in the sticks (and there are many) is having a large lot that you can park your RV on.
Attached Thumbnails
Seneca_Parking_Pad.jpg  
Old 04-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

My "sod estimating" skills suck. I'll get some more tomorrow...hahaha
Old 04-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Rob,

Thanks for your very informative response. Been working on the parking pad all weekend, so my thanks are a little late. 7 cubic yards of gravel (10 tons) is a LOT OF GRAVEL. One of the nice things about living in the sticks (and there are many) is having a large lot that you can park your RV on.
We live in a subdivision and our lot isn't big enough to store onsite. So I am very envious of those living in more rural areas! When we bought our home I was required (as a fire department employee) to live in the city. That requirement is now gone but we are pretty "settled" here now. So I pay to store my Seneca elsewhere. I keep hoping my lottery tickets hit!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

I know I'm getting off subject, but I fell in love with this area during my first air force assignment in '72 (Tyndall AFB). Lots of very affordable land around here for those who might be interested. I have relatives in Cleveland and Akron and when I see those horrible snowstorms on TV, I remind myself why I live in Florida. As we say, "The panhandle is the best kept secret in Florida".