Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #1

Front Bumper Rock Guard

Everytime I wash my RV I look at the front bumper opening and think to myself that I am just one rock away from damaging the A/C condenser and the radiator.

Two questions, has anyone ever had a rock come through the bumper opening and damage anything, and has anyone installed a screen protection and determined if by doing so the engine doesn't cool as well as without it?

The picture is just one I grabbed off the internet to show the area of the bumper I am asking about. Thanks, Craig

Just for a note, I only have about 14k miles on mine and many years, and I have never had rock damage this area and I have never read where others have either, but thought I would ask for thoughts.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #2

That's where I plunked an inexpensive LED light bar from Amazon.

I posted about it and got a terrific internet beat-down from people who've been blinded by such.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #3

I don't think a metal screen like the ones I've seen where people put over the furnace exhaust would obstruct air flow to the point where it affects the cooling. Only if that screen is filled with leaves or other debris. Typically, you'll clean it off before it really has a significant affect.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
That's where I plunked an inexpensive LED light bar from Amazon.

I posted about it and got a terrific internet beat-down from people who've been blinded by such.
LOL, In fact, I have a light bar needing a place to be installed (was purchased for my p\u truck but I never installed it) and it might fit in there just right (I have to check how wide it is). Do you like the LED light bar and use it? I suppose I could mount it at the top of the front cap. ~CA
Old 05-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I don't think a metal screen like the ones I've seen where people put over the furnace exhaust would obstruct air flow to the point where it affects the cooling. Only if that screen is filled with leaves or other debris. Typically, you'll clean it off before it really has a significant affect.
Thanks and welcome to the group! I was thinking something like this, but maybe not this one. ~$40 on Ebay, aluminum, but it looks like it will bend easy because the picture shows a bend on the drivers side of it already. I suspect it would slow down a decent size rock though if it didn't stop it. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 05-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Everytime I wash my RV I look at the front bumper opening and think to myself that I am just one rock away from damaging the A/C condenser and the radiator.

Two questions, has anyone ever had a rock come through the bumper opening and damage anything, and has anyone installed a screen protection and determined if by doing so the engine doesn't cool as well as without it?

The picture is just one I grabbed off the internet to show the area of the bumper I am asking about. Thanks, Craig

Just for a note, I only have about 14k miles on mine and many years, and I have never had rock damage this area and I have never read where others have either, but thought I would ask for thoughts.

I made the hole functional !!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	71048
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #7

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	71059
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

My 15 Silverado has a HUGE air hole in the front center of the bumper as well. I believe it's the oil cooler and an A/C line running thru it. I could see a rock going right thru that thing and wanted it protected as well without reducing air flow to keep things cool.
I found this pre fabbed metal screen on ebay just for this. It supposed to sit fairly flush with the front of the bumper but I didnt like the way it was going to mount on there. It would end up rubbing on the bumper and I'm not having that. So I had to molest the mounting brackets a little bit and got it to mount on the inside of the bumper nicely. Either way the front grille had to come off, which was no big deal and made installation much easier. I'm pretty sure if you do some poking around you should be able to find one just like it for a Ford front end.

Name:	20190714_200733.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	71062

Name:	20190714_200816.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	71063

Name:	20190716_081532.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	71064

Name:	20190716_184331.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	71065
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
LOL, In fact, I have a light bar needing a place to be installed (was purchased for my p\u truck but I never installed it) and it might fit in there just right (I have to check how wide it is). Do you like the LED light bar and use it? I suppose I could mount it at the top of the front cap. ~CA

You can see two others beat me to the punch.
I love it!

It's way too bright (and unfocused) for traffic. I've since pointed it down to eliminate blinding on-coming, but I still don't turn it on unless I'm alone on the road.

But man, does it sure make night driving a lot less scary for my old eyes.

Last month, my optometrist finally said "Its time to get those cataracts taken care of."

So, who knows? Maybe after they remove the shades from my eyeballs, I'll get some night vision back.