Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #1

Front Door and unexpected wind

One detail I didn't pay much attention to in our RV purchase was how the door doesn't fold against the coach due to its placement at the front. There is a small rod near the bottom of the door that keeps it open but that is it (unless I am missing something).

I don't plan to keep it open in very windy conditions, but I'm concerned with it bending or slamming shut if there is a sudden gust of wind. Has anyone else found this to be a problem and/or discovered a solution?
Attached Thumbnails
0-4.jpg   0-3.jpg  
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #2

Warped Door

I'm not a fan of Jayco's entry door design on my 29MVP.

The door will not open flat like most Class-C's because: 1) the door is all the way forward in the house and 2) the awning support track is immediately behind the door.

The benefit of this design is a nice interior space with a large countertop which we love.

The trade-off is a warped door. The support pushes the door at the bottom which causes twisting/warping leaving about a 1/4" to 1/2" gap at the bottom.

I've reshaped the door to close the gaps but the warp comes back.

There's no way around this that I think think of. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #3

Me too - our only solution is to hold on to the handle for dear life in windy conditions. Then try to park the rig so the wind will push the door shut instead of ripping it open.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #4

I am thinking if there is a way to attach a spring to either anchor at the end of the strut similar to an outdoor dog tether pictured below. That way, any additional tension from the wind, it would give and not bend the door. Not sure if there is such a thing, but just throwing the concept out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SpringAnchor.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	70928
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #5

If we're not putting out the awning, I bungee the door to the passenger side mirror.
Glenn268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #6

Can you install this door holder?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 05-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #7

Glenn268: A bungee cord is a great idea. Have you noticed any warp in your door from it? This also makes it easy to quickly shutting the door when you need to.

Quantum: I think that type of holder assumes the door swings all the way open (flat against the coach). I need to double-check but I'm almost certain this door doesn't. Maybe if the rod was disconnected.

Thanks all! These forums are great for some creative ideas. My initial idea (for non-cement pads) was to put a 4 ft stake (with padding) in the ground to help stabilize the door on the back. That, along with the bungee cord to the mirror, seems like it might do the trick. Of course, if it gets too windy, it's probably best to just shut the door.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Glenn268: A bungee cord is a great idea. Have you noticed any warp in your door from it? This also makes it easy to quickly shutting the door when you need to.

I have not found any warp to the door. Just be sure to move it if you open the awning! (Ask me how I know )
Glenn268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #9

We have the same set up and we have not had any issues with the door. I find the closer acts like a shock absorber and have yet to have it whip open.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

We have no problems with a warped door. But I have had the wind try to take it out of my hand before. If it's windy, I just make sure I have a good hold on the door as I open it. But it has to be REALLY windy for me to be concerned about this. And if I'm going outside in that kind of wind, it's for a reason (like to catch my chair that's blowing away).

To be fair, that was true with my TT door as well (which opened up flat against the side of that camper). If it's windy outside, you just need to be careful when opening, no matter how the door is set up.

Under normal circumstances, mine works fine as designed.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #11

Our X20E hybrid trailer has the same issue due to the placement of the awning. I had the same concern when we bought it. We've had it 8 seasons now and it's never really been a problem. As others said if it is really windy we have a good grip on the door, as we probably with a "normal" door.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:

Quantum: I think that type of holder assumes the door swings all the way open (flat against the coach). I need to double-check but I'm almost certain this door doesn't. Maybe if the rod was disconnected.

Thanks all! These forums are great for some creative ideas. My initial idea (for non-cement pads) was to put a 4 ft stake (with padding) in the ground to help stabilize the door on the back. That, along with the bungee cord to the mirror, seems like it might do the trick. Of course, if it gets too windy, it's probably best to just shut the door.
The one I'm suggesting is supposed to work with the door open to only 90 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 05-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
snip...

I don't plan to keep it open in very windy conditions, but I'm concerned with it bending or slamming shut if there is a sudden gust of wind. Has anyone else found this to be a problem and/or discovered a solution?
At least yours has, what looks to be, a rubber door bump.

This is what my trailer door was like..

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mod-80696.html

The bending of the rod I could see easily happening. But a bent rod is a lot more easily repairable than a hole in the door.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
At least yours has, what looks to be, a rubber door bump.

This is what my trailer door was like..

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mod-80696.html

The bending of the rod I could see easily happening. But a bent rod is a lot more easily repairable than a hole in the door.
That bump is actually a side camera. Great solution on yours.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
The one I'm suggesting is supposed to work with the door open to only 90 degrees.
Thanks for the follow-up pic. It makes sense now.

I'm a bit hesitant to drill into the side of our coach at this point as I don't know whats where in the walls, if there's enough support or if this creates any concern with water.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #16

Thanks.
The closer I look at the pic, it does look a little more like a side camera. Those are nice!
I also got to looking at your configuration and I see now why the put that strut on there to keep it opening 90*. If it goes much more your awning arm, regardless if it's open or closed, will stop the door from slamming into the side of the body. If that strut does break off and the door hits the awning arm, you might as well throw the door away and get a whole new one.
I do like your 90* latch idea.
If you do go with that, remember, the outer door skin is pretty thin. All the latches are riveted on the door and normal rivets wont work. You need expanding rivets like I used in my solution.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #17

The wind whipped the door from my grandson's hand resulting in the bottom shock tearing out of the door. I riveted in a threaded insert, replaced the shock, and then installed a lanyard on the top of the door to prevent it from exceeding a certain opening amount. Works like a champ.

Have done the bungee thing and it works pretty well holding the door open. When the wind gets too strong we just shut the door. No brainer.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #18

Thanks Jim.

Is the lanyard on permanently and is it attached on the inside or outside? Does it get in the way when opening and shutting the door?

If you happen to have a picture of the set up, it would be great to see.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #19

Yes it is permanent and is mounted on the top edge of the door. I mounted a threaded insert straight down the edge of the door and mounted the other end to the upper inside of the door frame (straight up). Nothing shows and the lanyard doesn't interfere with the door closing. I did have to grind just a tad off the screw head that is mounted in the frame as the door just barely rubbed on it.

Hope this makes sense. A screw down into the door rather than a threaded insert should work. I just bought the tool to install the insert in the bottom edge of the door and was on a roll using it.

Jim

Old 05-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #20

Happen to be prepping for a trip so I took a picture of the lanyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Lanyard.jpg  

Jim