Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Front end alignment

My 2018 Redhawk needs front end aligned. Had it checked at a truck alignment shop and said castor was 0 and from what read it should be +4 or perhaps more. I was told to do this I need to install different bushings. Also, speaking with Jayco, they will not pay for this. Jayco told me "we set them to 0 after coach is put on chassis." I need some wisdom of the masses here. Replacing bushings is not cheap. The shop didn't do a hard sell, they just said, to do what you want, you gotta do this and it may cost up to this depending on time to replace bushings.
I drive it Mich to az and back and experience a lot of wind. Any drive improvement will be helpful and most say start with alignment.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #2

Jayco gets the Ford chassis and builds their house on it.
Jayco doesn't touch the alignment settings.
They will not pay for alignment.
Getting it aligned is very important for handling and tire wear.
I had new bushings put in mine when it was aligned.
I took it to a truck shop .
I paid somewhere around $180 for everything.
While they are doing the alignment have them put some grease zerks in the ball joints, so they can be lubed down the road.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

Jayco paid for my alignment and bushings on my 2016 Redhawk 29XK. Here is the email I sent them about it.
Good Afternoon Robert, Yes will pay for the 1st alignment on your coach. You can email the bill to Jayco with your VIN number and mileage and we will submit it for reimbursement. Send it to the email address "motorizedservice@jayco.com" .

Thanks,
Bill Isley
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #4

Jordon ford did mine couple years ago and did a good job. no "pulling" on highway or when braking. I am surprised that Jayco will not pay for that since your unit is still new. They did cover mine....
CJ46628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post
Jayco paid for my alignment and bushings on my 2016 Redhawk 29XK. Here is the email I sent them about it.
Good Afternoon Robert, Yes will pay for the 1st alignment on your coach. You can email the bill to Jayco with your VIN number and mileage and we will submit it for reimbursement. Send it to the email address "motorizedservice@jayco.com" .

Thanks,
Bill Isley
Did you receive the money?
How much was it? TIA
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

It cost $258.22 total and Jayco sent me a check.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #7

This thread is a few months old; however, I thought that I would chime in with my alignment findings (2018 Greyhawk 29MV). Attached is the alignment report that indicated several items out of the manufacturer's (Ford) specifications.

I have sent a reimbursement request ($197.10) to Jayco along with these results and the invoice. I would think that if you demonstrate that the vehicle was delivered with out-of-spec alignment, the warranty should cover the repair.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alignment Forum Post.pdf (244.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #8

IMO you did NOT end up with enough +caster (LH +4.3 RH +4.5).

You should have insisted on at least LH +5.3 and RH +5.5. JMO.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
This thread is a few months old; however, I thought that I would chime in with my alignment findings (2018 Greyhawk 29MV). Attached is the alignment report that indicated several items out of the manufacturer's (Ford) specifications.

I have sent a reimbursement request ($197.10) to Jayco along with these results and the invoice. I would think that if you demonstrate that the vehicle was delivered with out-of-spec alignment, the warranty should cover the repair.
I sent same data and request to jayco and received my reimbursement around 3 weeks later. As far as castor settings, mine were set same as yours and I just drove it 2600 miles to az and I'm satisfied with improvement. Had some substantial side wind across the plains. Enjoy your coach.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
You should have insisted on at least LH +5.3 and RH +5.5. JMO.
In consultation with several truck shops and experienced mechanics, I aired on the side of caution and am pleased with the balance between castor and camber in my scenario.

In my experience, the inexperienced alignment mechanics were quick to shrug their shoulders and give-in to the 5.0º+ castor demands, while the experienced and trustworthy mechanics gave some serious pause. While they all agreed that a caster increase would produce favorable results, +4.9º was their collective and professional limit.

Thanks for all of your input and background on this topic, Harvard! It was certainly useful.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #11

2016 29XK Redhawk..Just went through same thing, with shims and align. and balance front tires, 400.00...goes down the road much better..
Bob Marchenese is offline   Reply With Quote