Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #1

Question Front receiver hitch for E450

Has anyone installed a front receiver hitch on their E450 chasis motorhome?
Concidering it to carry the spare up front and bikes in the back.

I do not believe, from my scale weights, I will be over weight onthe front axels.

Just wondering if anyone has done it.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #2

Bumping this to the top, hoping for some input. I am about to purchase this front receiver hitch, looking for comments or anyone's experience...
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #3

I haven't done it, but I'd treat it like anything else.. IF you've got the weight capacity then go for it.
I've largely had to weld-in custom hitches in front, I've never bought one out of the box. We usually integrate them into a custom bumper.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-photo 5.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	8384Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-photo 4.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	8385Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-photo 3.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8386Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-photo 2.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	8387Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-photo 1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8388

Whoever wrote the instructions for installation should have just required you to remove the front bumper completely. There is no sense in trying to use the included wires for snaking the big bolts into the frame blind. Removing the bumper was easy and simplified the install. Other mods to air dam trim were easy and documented well in instructions.

Now, the tire mount is not what I want, but it will do for one trip. Purchase the spare mount from e-trailer as well. It is not meant for E450 rims, but it is built solid.

I am going to see how this works. I just cant go on long trip without a spare. I may have to overcome that though.

Give your honest opinion, you wont hurt my feelings.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #5

The front hitch install is definitely a consideration for me. I see using it for a fishing rod/cooler rack or bike rack. I also agree with you that a spare tire is preffered and comforting equipment to have for a long trip. Personally, I prefer the spare tire installation that's been documented here that places the spare under the coach and utilizes the hoist.

I think you did a great job! I am curious about the time necessary to complete the install, were you able to do it alone? What degree of difficulty would you say the mod was?

Thanks and congratulations!

Wishing you safe travels!!
Kettrell
Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #6

It took about 3.5 hours by myself. It required a little contortion and finess to get the hitch lifted and bolts secure. A second hand would help for that part. Taking the bumper off is a must, but it is easy and not heavy at all. Triming the bottom air dam is easy and well documented for measuring. I cut it a 1/4" larger. The splash guard underneath requires trimming that is documented well, but fitting it back in required a little bending and pushing, but went in ok. Putting the bumper back on can be done by yourself. When you put it back on the new hitch keeps it from falling on you, plus the stud bolts are welded to the bumper.

I can't say I am totally happy with it. But it will work. There is pleanty of room underneath the back, but I am pushing the rear axle weight once we are loaded for a trip and the bikes are on the back. I also think that area in the back would be a good place to keep our poo tote for extended stays where full hook ups are not available. I bet I could rig a support for it back there with a bungy system. the 31FS has a lot of room under there.

The front hitch adds options. Just know it decreases your front approach angle a little less than just the bumper by itself.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #7

Update: After a few trips with this new "nose", as my kids and coworkers call it, I must say I think it affects handling in a positive way. I have not changed tire pressures, I still run 76 in the fronts. However, tracking and the affect of large rigs passing me seems to be reduced a bit.
Engine Water temp is not affected, driving though Texas summer temps, all is normal.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

I put one on my older E-350 chassis and found out the same thing as TX_Arvee. Take the bumper off. I had the same instructions which stated to feed the bolts through the frame with the wire guides. Yeah, right.
I would not recommend a certain brand. They missed the design on mine. See pictures. Their fix was to supply spacers.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

It is fun when people ask why I have a hitch on the front. I tell them I read the directions wrong and put it on the wrong end.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #9

Watch your temp gauge with the tire in the front.. you may have cooling problems..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #10

Running in the hills and mountains of Tennessee with inlet air temps in the 87-104 range, the water temp never went over 206.
Back in texas running on flat roads with higher inlet air temps in the upper 90's and low 100's the temp ran about 202-206. (Scan Gauge temps)

If using the built in dash gauge, the needle was always pointing just to the left of center.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #11

Anybody put a hitch tray for a cooler or cargo bag on the front hitch of your Class 'C'?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
RPR

Be careful as to how much you block your air opening. Do not reduce air flow to your radiators for engine, transmission and ac cooling.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #13

Yep - that's why I'm asking if anybody did it. I could use some extra storage but I loathe to hang more weight off the back hitch and further unload my steer axle.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #14

Front Receiver Hitch

I installed a front receiver hitch on my 2017 Greyhawk. I did it because I take the unit into the sand and there is no tow point on the front end that you can use if you need a tug out. So far I only needed to use it once.

The receiver is mounted behind the front license plate which basically hides it. I fabricated my license plate mount so it slides into the receiver and I lock it in place with a locking pin.

When I purchased the kit, the listing did not show that it fit the E450 but it did fit the 350. It fit the 450 perfectly and only required some trimming of plastic air dams.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote